AMD CCC Wait for Vertical Refresh not working

Val_

Nov 24, 2012
Hi,

A question for Radeon users : does the option to force use of vertical sync in the Catalyst Control Center (Gaming > 3D Application Settings > Frame Rate Control) work for you ? If I set it on "Always on", it does nothing at all. I'd like to use it for old games that don't limit their FPS and don't have an in-built v-sync option, therefore making the card heat uselessly. I am asking because it does not seem to be a known issue ; I only found a couple of old and isolated posts. (Also, if I use the RadeonPro utility, it does work.)

I tried different versions of the Catalyst drivers, and it changed nothing. Currently, I am running version 13.9, and I have no other problems.

Hardware specs : MSI Z77A-G45 (BIOS is up-to-date), intel Core i5-3570K, RAM : 8 GB (2x4 G.Skill RipJaws F3-12800CL9-4GBXL), Sapphire Radeon HD 7870, Seagate 7200.14 2 TB, Samsung DVD drive, PSU : Antec HCG 520, operating systems : Windows 8 Pro, Fedora 19

Val_

Nov 24, 2012
Thank you for your answer. I think this issue has been present for a long time too, and I've just sent a bug report to AMD ;)

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Is for OpenGL only, they really make that more clear in the settings.

It should be OpenGL Frame Rate Control.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
You may want to give RadeonPro a try. It can force V-Sync in games where Catalyst cannot.

This a truly great tool. I'd suggest using the Dynamic V-Sync option as you don't have to rely on triple buffering, which doesn't always work correctly, to avoid the large performance drops of double buffering when you go below the refresh rate.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
this is one reason I quit fooling with AMD and switched to Nvidia. I was playing Dead Space at that time and needed a proper working vsync. with Nvidia you can force vsync if you need to for a game and it works every time.

that said, just use Radeon Pro as its a good tool to use now and would be a must if I ever use an AMD card again.