AMD Catalyst Control Center won't install on Windows 8

YankeesWin

Aug 3, 2001
I'll start off with my specs:
Alienware MX17 R4
AMD Radeon 7970M
Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit

So I tried installing the drivers from the AMD site using their system detection tool. I download and run it and get a message saying "AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatable hardware/softare on your computer. The Version of your graphics adapter is not supported."

Fine. I do some Googling and am lead to the 12.10 WQHL, which I downloaded from their site. I run it and it says it's installing to the "Program Files\ATI Technologies" folder. It finishes, says everything installed successfully. I go to the directory, nothing. I check the windows start screen "all apps" view. No sign of anything from ATI or AMD.

Am I missing something?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Why don't you try to download the driver from Alienware site?Is it Enduro enabled?

YankeesWin

Aug 3, 2001
Why don't you try to download the driver from Alienware site?Is it Enduro enabled?

I tried downloading from Dell's site (which is where the Alienware site redirects you if you purchased after 2009). No dice.

The Catalyst Control Center icons are visible from the Windows 8 start screen now, but when I try to open the screen all I get is a message saying

"Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using "Catalyst Control Center."

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Download driver cleaner, uninstall all drivers and go in safe mode. Use driver cleaner to clean previous versions of ATI. Boot back in windows and install 12.10. My bro has an alienware and this worked for me.