AMD Catalyst 14.9 Driver for Windows & Linux available now

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Fired up my Lenovo i3-3240 with HIS 7790 1GB GDDR5 card. Win8 64-bit. Installed 14.9 WHQL Cats. Installed BOINC, ran some GPU compute with Einstein@Home.

Decided to upgrade to Win8.1 last night. Left computer computing after it was all over, and went to sleep. Got up, started using it.

Got two 0xA0000001 BSOD in a row. From this page, that's an ATI-specific BSOD code.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ror-code/13c01b9c-bfb6-4423-93b8-8080ce5fdd4e

Not very happy. I've suspended GPU compute in BOINC, to see if I get it again.

I'm listening to internet radio in Flash Player in Waterfox 32.0. I'm using a Rosewill AC1200UBE wifi adapter, and I un-installed the drivers that were either there previously, or installed during the Win8.1 upgrade, and then installed the specific Win8.1 drivers from the Rosewill site. (Prior drivers were for Win7/8 64-bit.)

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
I did the express uninstall and reboot and install these.

Have play BF4 for a few days now, seem stable to me.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I did the express uninstall and reboot and install these.

Have play BF4 for a few days now, seem stable to me.

I also played BF4 last night for @45 minutes and it was great. No problems.

I was running at 2560 x 1440p with the highest settings and was getting very good performance.

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
There seems to be a Crossfire issue. If I switch to single GPU I don't have any problems. When I enable Crossfire I can't launch any games without getting a hard freeze.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
There seems to be a Crossfire issue. If I switch to single GPU I don't have any problems. When I enable Crossfire I can't launch any games without getting a hard freeze.

My 295X2 no issues, and user right above you also no issues.

Maybe try re-installing drivers again.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
In my opinion this is a GARBAGE Driver.

I uninstalled my previous AMD Catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23.RXR CCC thru Program Files and Features/Rebooted then and install this CRAP Driver - NO Unigen Benches work or BF4 - WTF.

Thankfully for my GHOST Images I can recover within 10 mins and I tried several methods to no result.

X-Fire 290X /H20 / WIn7 SP1 64-Bit Platform.

Perhaps I have to re-install all Benching and Game Software?

Just can't get this driver to recognize BF4 or Ungine Benching - Works Great on U-Tube and Movies URLS !!!

Last edited:

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
In my opinion this is a GARBAGE Driver.

I uninstalled my previous AMD Catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23.RXR CCC thru Program Files and Features/Rebooted then and install this CRAP Driver - NO Unigen Benches work or BF4 - WTF.

Thankfully for my GHOST Images I can recover within 10 mins.

X-Fire 290X /H20 / WIn7 SP1 64-Bit Platform.

Perhaps I have to re-install all Benching and Game Software?

It's working great for me. Try using DDU to uninstall.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Humm! I like the "amd-catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23" driver - Everything works great but this is the most serious issue I've had with an AMD driver that simply does NOT WORK across the board. - I'll give DDU a try but WHY when AMD WHQL driver installation process does not work in X-Fire and believe me I've tried a clean install without X-Fire Enabled plus various counter solutions ?

After installing this driver, when I open an Unigen Bench or BF4 I get an Hour Glass and the system freezes.

Maybe I got a bad Download.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

same thing happens to me running 2x 7950s

970s can not come back in stock soon enough

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
same thing happens to me running 2x 7950s

970s can not come back in stock soon enough

Yea, I have the same. Maybe it's just in the HD7000 series or maybe even just the 7950.

Went back to the 14.7 RC3 drivers and everything is fine.

One thing I thought was odd. These drivers were up on Sunday from the AMD website. I thought AMD drivers were usually published on Tuesday. Or am I mistaken?

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Appears that this latest AMD MS WHQL Driver is a deliberate Marketing or Patent Scam and leave Intel alone .

Money- Money -HACK It - LOL

And I'm presently posting on this crap driver and Going Back to my amd-catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23 driver.

Look at the issues with the automatic installation of the Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320.

No doubt that the AMD R9 290X is a great card and nVidia is catching up. I always preferred the Canadian Rage ATi graphics over a Marvel Matrox or an nVidia TNT.

[Redacted]

Take my rant for what it's worth.

One thing I gotta say about this driver is that it pushes Blue Ray 1280 x 560 RES Kps (AVC/MP4, FLV or MKV and AVI 1500 kps streams like CRAZY ASTOUNDING Fluid: but if you interrupt it, the your system might freeze.

In all honesty this driver does present the BEST ACV/AAC./mp4, FLV and MKV video rendering I've ever seen.

2 x;s 290x's under water in X-Fire at OEM spd over a Korean Samsung QNIX 2510 x 1440p 60Hz IPS Monitor Dvi-D.

Warning issued for thread crapping and inappropriate language.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Z where did you get the driver? was it from AMD or ??? there was a fake 14.8 driver.....

I'll do some testing with my 7870 TX later tonight; I've just installed and not really tested it......but been smooth so far as you said in video :D

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Lichdom runs better! Don't have any numbers since I play games and not bench-through them, but there was noticeable difference after upgrading.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Honestly, I had the 14.4 release drivers in rig below and had to use the AMD uninstall utility from their download page first. I could not get the CCC to work otherwise.

That being said, once I removed ALL the AMD drivers and manually eliminated ANY ATI or AMD folder from my ssds/hdd The install of the official release of 14.9 WHQL went well.

BTW after that, I ran 3D Mark 2013 (have the licensed advanced version) and for @24 hrs after the release of the new drivers the 3d Mark2013 showed the drivers as "non valid" By Tuesday it now reads valid drivers.

I think these new WHQL drivers are slowly working their way into the main stream of other providers.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Humm! I like the "amd-catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23" driver - Everything works great but this is the most serious issue I've had with an AMD driver that simply does NOT WORK across the board. - I'll give DDU a try but WHY when AMD WHQL driver installation process does not work in X-Fire and believe me I've tried a clean install without X-Fire Enabled plus various counter solutions ?

After installing this driver, when I open an Unigen Bench or BF4 I get an Hour Glass and the system freezes.

Maybe I got a bad Download.

Z15CAM: I share your frustration. I also failed to mention that under device manager I uninstalled the drivers for my R9 290s before I rebooted AND made sure ALL AMD/ATI drivers were gone from my SSDS/HDD before I rebooted. Seemed to work.

Frustrating at the time BUT all is well and the 14.9 drivers work well. In fact COD Ghost in CF is even playable!:eek::D:biggrin:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I got that "won't wake from sleep" bug yesterday too. Not sure if I'd noticed it before. The crazy part is I simply pressed the power button, thinking the system would shut down, and it woke up and brought the screen back on. Very strange.

And like guskline, I definitely could not get CCC to install without uninstalling first. The drivers seemed to take, but CCC would not open and BF4 would crash as soon as I attempted to open the options window.

I'm glad so many of you didn't have problems, but the fact that guskline and I both had the exact same issue on our R9 290 GPUs is something that AMD should know about. And considering this thread was created by an AMD representative, my previous post about this was in part directed at him so he can take that back to the company.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I need to work through a re-install tonight, but my first ended in crashes and eventually the system had to work through a restore because it couldn't restart. I've got a 7990 and a secondary (not tri-fired) 7970. I effectively never have driver issues, but this was a serious problem. Hopefully I'll have better luck tonight, but if it puts me through that crap again, I will wait for 14.1X whenever those drop.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Loading the 14.9 WHQL in X-Fire Unigine Valley works but Heaven and BF4 will not load and freezes the system and I've tried several routes of uninstall and loading the driver.

I'm back on the amd-catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23 dvr where everything works.

I should mention that my Valley score increased from 4726 to 4776 with X-Fire 290X's - not OC'd with the 14.9 WHQL Dvr.

I'm not wasting my time right now to figure out the problem but perhaps I may have to re-install Unigine Heaven and BF4 after loading the 14.9 WHQL Dvr.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I had a couple of complete system freezes in crossfire, trying to run mordor benchmark. Didn't check anything else but after reading some comments here I will do some vigorous testing.

I am selling my 7950s first chance I get and the last thing I want is the buyer coming here for a demo and seeing the system freeze, lol.

Haven't checked my 5850s yet. Waiting some new ram for the system.

Seriously AMD should be more careful especially now with the new maxwells around, the last thing they should do is scoring driver self goals!

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Installed on top of my current AMD driver, no issues so far.

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
Hello,
Sorry I don't mean to double post here; but I just wanted to let you know that I have just updated my OP with a link to an important update regarding the random crashes, freezes, and BSODs. Please click on the link I provided in my update.

Thank you

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I agree. I had a hard time getting 14.4 to uninstall on my HD 7950.

I didn't.

downloaded the new cats.

choose uninstall all drivers, rebooted then started the install for new driver and everything was fine.