AMD Catalyst 13.12 Isn't Installing for Mobility HD5470

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
So this is weird... The AMD Catalyst 13.12 drivers isn't installing on my laptop which uses the Mobility HD5470. However according to the release notes, my GPU is supported. It was supported in the latest beta as well. Is there a way to fix this? Or just go back to beta drivers?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I'd go back to the beta drivers for now. They're not significantly different from 13.12. Though it's odd that the WHQL won't install; if your laptop vendor is blocking AMD drivers, then the betas shouldn't have worked either.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I'd go back to the beta drivers for now. They're not significantly different from 13.12. Though it's odd that the WHQL won't install; if your laptop vendor is blocking AMD drivers, then the betas shouldn't have worked either.
I don't think it could block them, since I did a clean install of Windows 7.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think it could block them, since I did a clean install of Windows 7.
Long story short, AMD has an agreement with laptop manufacturers to only allow their drivers to be installed on systems in which the OEM allows it. If the OEM doesn't allow it, the system is on the AMD driver blacklist, and the driver will not install. So this isn't about software the OEM puts on the laptop to block it, this is AMD's drivers being hard-coded to block their own installation.

Edit: AMD also has a driver verification tool to walk you through some of this: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/catalyst_mobility_64-bit_util.exe

The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality.

If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.

Last edited:

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Um I just went back to try and install the beta drivers... But I can't either. What could have been the cause of this? :confused:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
It was probably a fluke that you were able to install the beta drivers in the first place. For a laptop, stick to the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
It was probably a fluke that you were able to install the beta drivers in the first place. For a laptop, stick to the drivers from the manufacturer's website.
Do the above if you want badly outdated, 3 year old drivers. In my case (I have the same gpu), there are games that don't work properly without a modded driver. Starcraft 2 being an example. Problem being these drivers cause occasional crashes when going into sleep mode when the Radeon gpu is enabled.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Do the above if you want badly outdated, 3 year old drivers. In my case (I have the same gpu), there are games that don't work properly without a modded driver. Starcraft 2 being an example. Problem being these drivers cause occasional crashes when going into sleep mode when the Radeon gpu is enabled.
So... what can I do then?