AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta Driver Download

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Here you can download AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta 64-bit for Windows Vista 7 and 8 XP that comes with a number of fixes and updates. AMD Catalyst Mobility now includes support for AMD Enduro Technology. AMD Enduro Technology for Notebooks delivers: Unbeatable battery life GPU accelerated performance for gaming, video, and compute apps A Seamless and automatic experience.
Read more

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
looks like a boring release.

Longer battery life in Notebooks is good but if they weren't very specific. "Unbeatable battery life" isn't exactly a quantity

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
looks like a boring release.

Longer battery life in Notebooks is good but if they weren't very specific. "Unbeatable battery life" isn't exactly a quantity
On the contrary. If these are the new Enduro drivers then this is a huge driver release for the mobile crowd.:eek:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I don't know much about AMD/ATI .

nVidia beta drivers are always solid and have never given me a problem.

When I had the x800 lol drivers would always give me problems and errors and CCC blue screens etc etc.

Have they changed this over the years ? I certainly hope so for AMD/ATI crowd. gl

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They increase performance by looking at some reports over on overclock.net. But some experience crashes with IE.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
I'm convinced my mind plays tricks on me but I would swear that Guild Wars 2 plays a little bit smoother. Supersampling turned on (oc'd 7870 @ 1920x1200) would occasionally bug me with a hint of lag but I've been playing all afternoon and it's been nothing but silky smooth thus far. So, for now, I'm happy and I hope nothing changes.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I can vouch this drivers improved my WoW: MOP performance.

12.8 WHQL
Ultra settings @ 1080, 4xSSAA forced through CCC - 44 FPS

12.9 Beta:
Ultra settings @ 1080, 4xSSAA forced through CCC - 58 FPS

I tested in the same spot (starting area for a new Panda, that area seems to have a high load not even sure why.)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Question for anyone using AMD mobile GPUs: can you directly install AMD drivers? serious question. I know a few years back you always had to install OEM drivers which is obviously not an ideal situation - for instance, if you have a HP laptop you would have to install a HP driver, the AMD driver would not work.

Has this situation changed? Anyone know? Also, why do all ultrabooks only have mini HDMI as their display output port instead of mini displayport? Good grief, that is SO ANNOYING, I can't use that on my u3011. Well, I can but I would be limited to 1920x1200.

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Question for anyone using AMD mobile GPUs: can you directly install AMD drivers? serious question.
I can on my Asus G73JH laptop with a Radeon HD 5870m.
Ive never had to use "Asus" drivers , always grabbed and installed the drivers directly from AMD/ATI.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Hm, supposed improvements in battery life? Color me intrigued.

Also, blackened23, some manufacturers still require you to install their custom drivers. Toshiba comes to mind. In my experience though, Asus doesn't, Dell doesn't, and HP doesn't (I own an Asus laptop, and I've helped friends and family members with Dell and HP laptops upgrade and used drivers direct from the chip designers [sometimes AMD, sometimes Intel] without a hitch.)

Last edited:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Question for anyone using AMD mobile GPUs: can you directly install AMD drivers? serious question. I know a few years back you always had to install OEM drivers which is obviously not an ideal situation - for instance, if you have a HP laptop you would have to install a HP driver, the AMD driver would not work.

Has this situation changed? Anyone know? Also, why do all ultrabooks only have mini HDMI as their display output port instead of mini displayport? Good grief, that is SO ANNOYING, I can't use that on my u3011. Well, I can but I would be limited to 1920x1200.

I had no problem installing this driver on my Asus G73JH with 5870m. Dunno if it extended my battery life at all since the beast stays plugged in by my couch.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Odd, the 64-bit download from AMD's website seems to be missing the actual display drivers. It just has the audio drivers and GPGPU drivers.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Odd, the 64-bit download from AMD's website seems to be missing the actual display drivers. It just has the audio drivers and GPGPU drivers.

Glad I wasn't the only one to run into that issue. Really frustrated the hell outta me.

Did make me give 12.8s a try though, which I was delighted to find actually worked for me. First drivers since 79xx release that worked for XFirefinity.

Look forward to trying the 12.9s when get back home.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I'm convinced my mind plays tricks on me but I would swear that Guild Wars 2 plays a little bit smoother. Supersampling turned on (oc'd 7870 @ 1920x1200) would occasionally bug me with a hint of lag but I've been playing all afternoon and it's been nothing but silky smooth thus far. So, for now, I'm happy and I hope nothing changes.

These drivers are great in GW2. The frames are definitely smoother. They don't hop around as much.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Okay, nevermind. The video driver isn't missing from mine, it simply won't install despite repeated attempts.

Back on 12.8, which I'm not sure are stable for me, but at the moment I'm going to stick it out with them for a little while.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Okay, nevermind. The video driver isn't missing from mine, it simply won't install despite repeated attempts.

Back on 12.8, which I'm not sure are stable for me, but at the moment I'm going to stick it out with them for a little while.

Try the guru3d urls. They worked for me.

georgec84

May 9, 2011
Tried either 12.8 or 12.9 on my laptop. Couldn't boot into Windows in discrete graphics mode and had to do a system restore.