AMD Catalyst 10.9

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
No mention of the bug introduced in 10.5 that hasn't been fixed? With ATI Overdirive enabled in the CCC, the clock speeds of the 5xxx series shoot up full blast while idle. This causes the fan to kick in on some systems (added noise) and always increases the temps.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
No mention of the bug introduced in 10.5 that hasn't been fixed? With ATI Overdirive enabled in the CCC, the clock speeds of the 5xxx series shoot up full blast while idle. This causes the fan to kick in on some systems (added noise) and always increases the temps.

I've been using 10.8, and my clock speed at idle is 400mhz.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
You'd be a fool not to update at this point, especially if you cross fire. Love these ATI driver sets as of late, noticeable performance boosts across a ton of titles and *ZERO* problems.

Thanks for shoring up the issue's ATI.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Wow, this came from nowhere- seems like only the other day the 10.8's were released. Nice improvements once again. Especially in Stalker: COP- both vendors's last 3 revisions pretty much have contained performance related boosts to this game, I'm not sure what to read into this- perhaps the X-Ray engine is easy to extract performance from.

A month ago I would have said that AMD (and especially Nvidia) are probably investing more in their driver department to keep the ball rolling until 28nm with a new architecture arrives to optimise for- but with NI's arrival at 40nm it may be business as usual at AMD (same resource allocation to performance, bug fixes, driver features etc). In any case, it's good for consumers as each release has brought continual performance improvements.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
You'd be a fool not to update at this point, especially if you cross fire. Love these ATI driver sets as of late, noticeable performance boosts across a ton of titles and *ZERO* problems.

Thanks for shoring up the issue's ATI.

can you play BFBC2?

everything I've seen since like 10.4 are broke for it

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Go to CCC, enable ATI Overdrive (check the box), hit 'Apply', then have the computer idle so you can report what both speed readings say (core and memory clocks).

Thats how mine is set up and it reads GPU 400MHz Mem 1300Mhz. The fan speed is at 26%.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
I play BC2 and every driver since 10.4 has been flawless for me. No problems at all...

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
Thats how mine is set up and it reads GPU 400MHz Mem 1300Mhz. The fan speed is at 26%.

OK, then you've replicated the problem. I'm using 10.4 and my Memspeed is 300MHz when idle. Using any firmware higher than that, my Mem clock shoots up to 1305MHz like yours is doing when idle, and the temps increase accordingly. I want a patch that fixes this problem since I don't want my card running at max speeds while idle (even if it is only the Memory clock).

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
OK, then you've replicated the problem. I'm using 10.4 and my Memspeed is 300MHz when idle. Using any firmware higher than that, my Mem clock shoots up to 1305MHz like yours is doing when idle, and the temps increase accordingly. I want a patch that fixes this problem since I don't want my card running at max speeds while idle (even if it is only the Memory clock).

If I remember right that was done to stop flickering on a dule monitor set up. I know I had flickering on mine with 10.3 or 10.4 and it is now fixed... I remember reading that both camps had problems and this was ATI's fix I don't remember Nvidias fix because I only run a single LCD on that box.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
If I remember right that was done to stop flickering on a dule monitor set up. I know I had flickering on mine with 10.3 or 10.4 and it is now fixed... I remember reading that both camps had problems and this was ATI's fix I don't remember Nvidias fix because I only run a single LCD on that box.

That's fine, except if someone does not have a dual monitor setup (i.e. the vast majority of owners), then it shouldn't spike up on us. If dual monitor is not enabled, they shouldn't force us to deal with that.