AMD Catalyst™ Accelerated Parallel Processing driver question

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Will be doing a new build and I saw this package along with the regular CCC suite on the ATI site. I'll be using a HD5670 card and wondered if there was any benefit to using the APP suite. Thanks.

jones377

May 2, 2004
It just installs the ATI Stream SDK as well as the driver and CCC. The SDK adds support for OpenCL. I believe you can download and install it separately as well.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It just installs the ATI Stream SDK as well as the driver and CCC. The SDK adds support for OpenCL. I believe you can download and install it separately as well.
Technically it's just the OpenCL driver and not the complete SDK (the difference being about 100MB in source code).
Does it improve things like video encoding.
No. There's only a handful of programs out right now that use OpenCL, and none of them are video encoders.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
No. There's only a handful of programs out right now that use OpenCL, and none of them are video encoders.

That stinks. I want something better than AMD's Video Encoder as it only uses up to 20-22% (Averages from 8-13%) of the 5750 gpu and is mainly single threaded to lightly dual threaded. Much room for improvement for sure.