AMD Carizzo chips - any laptops with the 35W version?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Probably because it doesn't. You see Stoney / Bristol Ridge with a low end discrete AMD GPU (example), which suggests that AMD charges a premium for its higher end chips.

It may also be that it's easier for OEM's to use discrete GPU's because they have consistent performance regardless of the CPU memory configuration.
It was epic in the past seeing Intel Pentium laptops with dedicated GPU. You could upgrade it and maintain the decent GPU.

Still having an Acer with ATI Radeon GPU with an upgraded Core i3 380M from a Pentium P6000.

And I was hoping to see it again... even an Atom with a low tier dGPU to maintain the CPU being used to their limits.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
yeah but it costs more in cooling, parts, warantee etc...cant see the logic in that.

In cooling no, as for parts a Polaris 11 should be 60-70$ at the OEM stage and probably as much at the retail level in respect of current 28nm dGPU.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
So I have been wondering on why Laptop makers keep choosing the 15W AMD APU option when the 35W AMD APU option costs them the same money?

Probably because it doesn't. You see Stoney / Bristol Ridge with a low end discrete AMD GPU (example), which suggests that AMD charges a premium for its higher end chips.

With Carrizo each SKU (FX-8800P, A10-8700P, A8-8600P. etc) was configurable as either 15W or 35W.

So this problem was not related to pricing of SKUs, but rather how the SKUs were configured.

It may also be that it's easier for OEM's to use discrete GPU's because they have consistent performance regardless of the CPU memory configuration.

Having the dGPU also let the OEMs advertise more hardware capability.... something that using FX-8800P, A10-8700P, A8-8600P at 35W did not (re: each Carrizo SKU had the same advertised spec whether it was used at 15W or 35W).

Last edited:

cebalrai

May 18, 2011
So are the 15W A10-8700P's worth it for the money? My needs are just general use and light gaming. Or is Intel a no-brainer on a cost:performance basis?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
So are the 15W A10-8700P's worth it for the money? My needs are just general use and light gaming. Or is Intel a no-brainer on a cost:performance basis?
It depends on the configuration....
AMD is not eligible for now, unless you go Stoney Ridge at less than 350 dollars.

Intel U tier, is pure trash, it says is low consuming, but performs even worse than a desktop Celeron.

If you go Intel you must think on an i5 6300 HQ or an i7 6700 HQ.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
It depends on the games but the intel integrated won't be any better unless you spend a lot more. The difference in cpu performance isn't really noticeable with surfing, streaming or typical home/office work.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
If the same situation happens again (decent AMD APU offered but no OEMs will use it to full capacity) then what about a Kickstarter to get a suitable laptop to market? Clevo or someone might be willing to manufacture it.

Personally, I'd like to see a performance-centric laptop that:

A) Has no battery, to keep weight and cost down and make room for other things

B) Has a big quiet fan for cooling instead of stupidly thin designs

C) Uses vapor chamber tech with heat pipes for cooling CPU/graphics

D) Has a high-contrast low input lag A-MVA panel with lightboost, a no PWM setting, and a 5000K white point out of the box

E) The panel would be matte and wide-gamut (GB-LED)

F) Has an aluminum body for heat dissipation

G) Comes in a gaming flavor, a non-gaming flavor, and a "graphics workstation" flavor

H) Is very low noise even in the gaming flavor while gaming, thanks to "overengineered" cooling and the thick profile

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
If the same situation happens again (decent AMD APU offered but no OEMs will use it to full capacity) then what about a Kickstarter to get a suitable laptop to market? Clevo or someone might be willing to manufacture it.

Definitely a great idea.

Personally, I'd like to see a performance-centric laptop that:

A) Has no battery, to keep weight and cost down and make room for other things

B) Has a big quiet fan for cooling instead of stupidly thin designs

C) Uses vapor chamber tech with heat pipes for cooling CPU/graphics

The idea of a laptop shipping without a battery is something I have thought about myself.

In fact maybe a cooler that replaces the battery when the laptop is connected to AC and running in 35W mode. For an example, see power management scheme mentioned in this post.

Of course, with the cooler removed, a battery could be installed for mobile usage.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
G) Comes in a gaming flavor, a non-gaming flavor, and a "graphics workstation" flavor

I think a FirePro version of Bristol Ridge is also a really good idea. And maybe if the 35W idea works it would encourage AMD to go to the trouble of releasing such a part?