AMD : Battlefield 4 Patch, Mantle API and Catalyst 14.1 Update

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Ok I get you, but it's not like the delays were planned or some kind of conspiracy against 7-series owners :p

Stuff happens, this is cutting-edge technology. I don't have a GCN 2.0 card but I'm not irate over it - people who bought Hawaii have more right to Mantle than I ever did. Infinitely more, tbh. ;)

Well let's see if they kept their promise and give us the 7xxx frame pacing driver. I really don't think mantle will be that major on our cards anyhow as they clearly sought out to push 290/X performance, not previous generation gcn stuff.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
computerbase has 280X benchmarks with Mantle and the beta driver, there is no performance gain as of yet with Tahiti. Probably not worth the download yet.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
computerbase has 280X benchmarks with Mantle and the beta driver, there is no performance gain as of yet with Tahiti. Probably not worth the download yet.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking, so no big deal. Frame pacing driver is far more important for 7xxx and 280x owners at this point.

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
There's enough evidence of between 20-30% to basically say that's the true level of gain imo. Throw out the crazy stuff - even if it's possible to get 80% gains in MP, or even Nvidia wins in MP - both are clear outliers. There has been a good few sites getting the same 20%-30% improvement under Mantle now to suggest that's where it probably is.

broken_pixel

Oct 26, 2013
I made two accounts with computer base but I am not able to log into the website. I guess they do not like icloud or gmail email addresses or have they sent an email for my account set up either.

Someone upload them somewhere please.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I made two accounts with computer base but I am not able to log into the website. I guess they do not like icloud or gmail email addresses or have they sent an email for my account set up either.

Someone upload them somewhere please.

I have them. I'll upload them shortly.

broken_pixel

Oct 26, 2013
They want feedback from reviewers first. Same thing was done with Hawaii, people had to re-write reviews, and they delayed for a "firmware" update that just increased fan profiles.

Catalyst 14.1 download at Guru3D. Too late to try tonight, might give it a try tomorrow. Downloading now though, don't know exactly what I'll get but it should be legit.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=386270

Thanks! Time to test my 3930k and 2x 290x. Be back laters. Thanks for sharing the link.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Kind of a pain that you have to shut the game down and restart to change the API. Makes it difficult to compare performance in a multiplayer game by switching in the same spot on the fly.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I see 270X mentioned multiple times in the release notes. Does AMD equate the 270 and 270X as being the same outside of clocks or should I be looking for a specific 270 statement?

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Can't believe Mantle is out but the thread is locked. This forum is incorrigible.

We should start a BF4 benchmark thread. It's possible to overcome the variability wall with a large enough sample size. Plus, performance in this game changes a lot between updates and drivers even on DX, so we can't really rely on reviewers for up to date info. Anyone want to do the honors?

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
The guy with 4-way Crossfire(Karlitos). Where's him now??? Want to see Mantle giving 4-way setups 100%+ boost.

----------------------

2-way xfire 290 plus i7 3930k at 4.8Ghz results:

From Guru3D:

Hardware: i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, 8GB DDR3 1600, 2x R9 290 4GB CrossfireX
Settings: 2560x1440 Ultra MSAAx4 HBAO:

Map: Golmud Railway (0 Players, Spawn RU)
DirectX11: 135fps
Mantle: 148fps

Map: Siege of Shangai (64 Players, Roof top of C Building aiming down)
DirectX11: 86fps
Mantle: 118fps

Very impressed so far, but its 4:28AM here and it's time for me to hit bed.
biggrin.gif

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4756946&postcount=35

Last edited:

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
Hello everyone,

As you may know, the Battlefield 4 patch has been launched today. This new patch is automatically installed on systems that already have Battlefield 4 installed. To take advantage of the Mantle API and experience the performance increase, you will need to meet the following prerequisites:

1. Have a GCN (Graphics Core Next) based GPU in your system
2. Install the latest Battlefield 4 patch from Origin (which is automatically installed)
3. Install the latest graphics driver, the AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta (coming soon)

With the above in place, you’ll be ready and Mantle will be enabled.

The upcoming AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta driver will support all desktop GCN products, though we are working with EA to further optimize performance on 280X, 270X, HD 7000 and HD 8000 series GPUs.

Furthermore, we’re giving the press time to exclusively test the beta driver while we implement the finishing touches on all the features you can expect from this driver.

Please keep in mind Catalyst 14.1 is a beta driver and your feedback is very important to us; once it’s released, you may report any issues or bugs by using our official reporting form: www.amd.com/betareport

I’m going to keep you up to date and will make sure to provide you links to the upcoming Catalyst 14.1 Beta driver as soon as it’s ready.

Thank you for your patience

Hello everyone,

The AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta driver is now ready and available for download. You may download it from our Driver and Support page: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Please, make sure to read the Feature Highlights, Resolved Issues and the Know Issues sections for more information about the beta driver.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Siege of Shanghai, HD 7970 i7 3770k @ 4GHz, I'm getting about 10-12 more FPS, though there's dips, but early days yet. Nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.