AMD Barcelona performance promises revealed

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
WHILE ENGINEERS ARE working full throttle at making the K10 (10h family) work, performance figures are becoming integral part of marketing presentations and so on. Recently, we managed to sse the short of performance figures that AMD is promising for Barcelona.
These performance numbers were based on systems using tge Opteron 2356, or known to the world of us regular folk as AMD QuadCore at 2.3GHz. The Price of this processor is currently set at 796 USD in quantities of 1000, so we'll see what can Clovertown at 2.66 GHz (Xeon 5355) do about it?

So, what will Barcelona deliver?

For starters, SPECint_rate2006 and SPECfp_rate2006 speak the voice of doom for the 366 MHz faster clocked Xeon - and these are the reasons why Intel was downplaying performance of FP and praising the INT.
The figures we saw were from a few months ago, so things may well have changed since then. But in the Integer test, a Barcelona 2.3GHz yields 21% higher score than Clovertown 2.66 GHz, but Floating Point test leaves a staggering 50% performance deficit for Clovertown, and this is not something 45 nanometre Penryn can solve overnight. Unless, of course the clock deficit for AMD is such that Intel speeds past.

When it comes to comparing Barcelona to Santa Rosa, a 3.0GHz clocked Opteron 2222, Barcelona is in general, around 65-70% faster than the highest-clocked dual-core Opteron. SPECweb99 yields a hefty 67% performance increase, SPECweb99_SSL offers 66%, while SAP-SD offers 70% performance increase.
The highest gain, of over 100% can be seen in SPECweb2005/Ecom benchmark, while smallest gain was in TPC-C SQL2000, where only 42% gain was marked. This was all based on 2P (dual-socket) systems, of course.

In the four-socket arena, Opteron 8222 versus 8356 offers an average of over 60% performance boost, which is not a small thing - given that clock difference is 700MHz. SPECweb99 and SPECweb99_SSL give 68% performance increase, SPECweb2005/Ecom yields another scaling dream (91%), while most modest increase is again, TPC-C SQL2000. Nevertheless, TPC-C Oracle test will yield 75% performance increase while Terminal Services will offer 71%.

Overall, these are very impressive score increase promises. All of the performance increases happened with a processor that has 30% smaller TDP. Opteron x222 is a 120W Max.TDP, while this Barcelona 2356 stays in the 95W range.

The only real question that now remains is whther AMD can execute. Sadly, the company's recent track record does not bode well, with constant delays of products and events. And we'll also wait to see real tests of the Barcelonas rather than paper promises.

sorry, i know but that's the source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40749

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
For a moment I thought they meant the old 2.66 GHz Xeon--the NetBurst one.

This is really good news if it's true. I don't see how it's possible given the improvements Core and Core 2 had over the P4.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: nullpointerus
For a moment I thought they meant the old 2.66 GHz Xeon--the NetBurst one.

This is really good news if it's true. I don't see how it's possible given the improvements Core and Core 2 had over the P4.

yeah core 2 is a beast, i hope AMD can at least stay close. I'm building a new rig towards the end of the year and so far looks like Intel will be inside my case unless things change by then.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
man, im really tired of rumors and hearsay from the inquirer and such. i want to see a *real* review on anandtech comparing the k10 architecture that we will be able to buy to the conroe, penryn, and k8 architectures. of course, then i want to see them in stock at the egg ;).

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: f4phantom2500
man, im really tired of rumors and hearsay from the inquirer and such. i want to see a *real* review on anandtech comparing the k10 architecture that we will be able to buy to the conroe, penryn, and k8 architectures. of course, then i want to see them in stock at the egg ;).

same here but this is what we have to live with for the next couple of weeks / months.

It's about time they release some relevant numbers. They should know that all this wait is just damaging more and more the company.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
A lot of people haven't see this yet and i thought it would be a good read...

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
The SpecCPU2006 results have been on AMD's site for some time now. You can notice that the clock speed of the Barcelona is 2.6GHz, not 2.3GHz as Inquirer claims. The 2.3GHz is probably for other benchmarks. Intel also has newer results which has 10-15% higher score than the one shown on the graph.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
Originally posted by: IntelUser2000
The SpecCPU2006 results have been on AMD's site for some time now. You can notice that the clock speed of the Barcelona is 2.6GHz, not 2.3GHz as Inquirer claims. The 2.3GHz is probably for other benchmarks. Intel also has newer results which has 10-15% higher score than the one shown on the graph.

Sorry, but since that statement came from "IntelUser2000", I'm gonna need a link ;)

jhtrico1850

Apr 15, 2007