AMD/ATI win the most prestigious award on the internet for the RV770.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Wow, Fudzilla is about the worst journalistic entity around. I wonder if the author of this article was at some time laid-off by Nvidia and that is why they hate them so much?

RV770 = BIG Win for AMD!

but

Nvidia's troubles this year were less from their good-performing 88xx, 98xx, and 2xx cards and more from their chipset issues.

The truth is that 2008 was more about CHOICE and less about dominance. Anyone with a 48xx or 2xx card should be pretty satisfied right now. AMD definitely helped NV price their products better for the masses, but thats what competition does. The fact that both companies have some great choices in the 150-250$ range is great for the consumer. :)

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
The truth is that 2008 was more about CHOICE and less about dominance.

This is probably the best assessment I've heard yet. Although, I have to agree that ATI won the hearts and minds of reviewers this year with the 4000 series. NV really only offered a good alternative once they dropped the prices on their cards significantly.

Pantalaimon

Feb 6, 2006
At least according to the latest Steam survey, AMD's 4800 series seemed to do much better than NVIDIA's GT200 series.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Guys, 2008 was an amazing year for hardware enthusiasts in both camps, with the RV770 making ATI much more than competitive, and Nvidia setting die size records, along with extereme price cuts at all levels, price/performance has hit an all time high.

So enthusiasts rejoice, the market is competitive once again! :beer:

JACKDRUID

Nov 28, 2007
4000 series is definately the better part price vs performance wise. without it we would have paid much more for our videocards.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
i wonder how long before someone from the nvidia focus group makes an appearance in this thread

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: clandren
i wonder how long before someone from the nvidia focus group makes an appearance in this thread

I'll satisfy your curiousity. 33 minutes from your post. Is there something you needed to know?

:cool:

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: clandren

I'll satisfy your curiousity. 33 minutes from your post. Is there something you needed to know?

:cool:

:laugh:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I am happy ATi gave us a card that performed at worst the same (sometimes better) as nVidia counterparts and cost a third less :) They get a :thumbsup: from me. Sounds about right, in line with what was written in that link. And those are facts.

recoiledsnake

Nov 21, 2007
Even if you're a Nvidia buyer, the RV770 helped you by lowering the prices of Nvidia products bigtime due to it's excellent price/performance ratio. ATI could have easily released the 4870 at $400 instead of $300 and still be competitive with Nvidia's offerings at that time. They did not, and Nvidia had to cut it's price majorly. This is why competition is very important. I hope the processor division of AMD pulls something like this against Intel.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: recoiledsnake
Even if you're a Nvidia buyer, the RV770 helped you by lowering the prices of Nvidia products bigtime due to it's excellent price/performance ratio. ATI could have easily released the 4870 at $400 instead of $300 and still be competitive with Nvidia's offerings at that time. They did not, and Nvidia had to cut it's price majorly. This is why competition is very important. I hope the processor division of AMD pulls something like this against Intel.

Amen to this... In some ways the nVidia marketing team should be trying to convince people to buy ATI so the prices are lowered and they can buy cheaper cards... oh wait, they don't buy their cards. :D

Joking aside, I just picked up an MSI 260GTX for my dad for his birthday... Can't wait to bring it over there tonight and install it, overclock and watch it crush his 8800GTS 640MB. He will be happy! The games he plays, nVidia typically dominates. On a side note, I am sure this has something to do with the 360 being an ATI designed GPU, but it sure seems like the ATI cards run the 360 ports better than nVidia. That could be wrong, but that seems to be my impression over the last few articles on the ports.

Anyway, thank God for compitition... I can get my dad a high end card for $200 instead of $450.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Its UNHEARD of in the hardware industry, 2 companies swapping positions on who has the best product.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
Its UNHEARD of in the hardware industry, 2 companies swapping positions on who has the best product.

:confused:

I think my sarcasm meter is broken today....

If I was AMD I wouldnt accept that POS.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

I have a sarcasm meter repair company, just send it to me and it will be fixed. ;)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

It would be funny if one of their board partners put it on their box. HIS Graphics: Fudzilla Card of the Year

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Wreckage
It's like Fox News giving Sarah Palin the best candidate of the year award.

I bow to your greater knowledge of fox news. Didn't know Sarah Palin won anything.