AMD AthlonFX51 is the fastest Commercial desktop CPU on earth ? True/fails ? Vote poll inside

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Most of us have read the reviews on this CPU some of us have there own thoughts from first hand experience others are all talk and believe what they want to (fanboys)

I Just wanted to see what you people think is the best.

Are you as informed as you think? have you read enough reviews to make up your mind?.
Before you go off about this CPU is better for Video Editing and that CPU is better at Calculating Scientific crap ? STOP we all know CPU?s are not the same but overall there?s always a winner !! so pick 1

Remember this is not an AMD VS Intel thread

Just a Friendly Poll :):beer:

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: videoclone
Most of us have read the reviews on this CPU some of us have there own thoughts from first hand experience others are all talk and believe what they want to (fanboys)

I Just wanted to see what you people think is the best.

Are you as informed as you think? have you read enough reviews to make up your mind?.
Before you go off about this CPU is better for Video Editing and that CPU is better at Calculating Scientific crap ? STOP we all know CPU?s are not the same but overall there?s always a winner !! so pick 1

Remember this is not an AMD VS Intel thread

Just a Friendly Poll :):beer:

Where's the "why is this a poll?" option? As you said yourself, one CPU is faster in some areas and another is faster in the others. The winner is what is faster in the apps that YOU use most.

And this has all the makings of an AMD vs Intel thread...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I agree I can name a handful of aps that are faster with the p4 non EE and EE edition then the FX51...Plus then figure HT while most of you non Intel users have no first hand experience with but I do and many of the reviews dd not test this or take it into account. Even if yu want to dismiss it, in multitasking I guarantee the FX51 can't do the same as I have done with my PC...

I frankly for my uses would be disapointed or taking a step backwards going to it...ot to mention payaing a lot of cash...

i think the poll needs a few more options...

d) matter of opinion or use

e) both are about equal

f) Who cares since so many other components can have major effect on what we determine as the fastest in given applications...

I voted nothing since the options are not any good...

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
I also said overall there is a winner and from what I?ve seen in the reviews where they test around 40 programs games and benchmarks the Athlon wins 80% of them so in my mind it makes it the better CPU ... ;) but like i said i want to know what other people think.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Overall I agree the FX51 is the best currently....

Not as good as my system!!!;) Throw in HT with a multitasker like me and that system wouldn't be a step back and a disappointment to me....

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hey duvie, could you do some povray benchmarks? i'd be really interested in that. i'd suggest running two instances of povray where one instance renders the top half of an image and the other instance renders the bottom half of the image.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
NO problem!!! Give me some instructions on what files to get and if they is any special procedure to get 2 instances running...

I have ran cinebench 2003 which is HT enabled and there is a 19% increase in time to render when running 2 cpus (HT seen as 2 logical cpus). It does that same thing. It starts rendering from the top and then a few seconds later it starts rendering from the middle down...it is neat....

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
My vote: the Opteron 146, which kills the P4 3.2EE in everything except video encoding. Of course, that's not the proc. for you, if you happen to be a multitasker. Just about any overclocked P4 with HT would be the choice for people who like to run 2 cpu-intensive apps at the same time. Oh, and I didn't vote, since the Opteron wasn't even a choice.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
are you running windows? if so, I think you can just open two instances of povray. then set the appropriate rendering switches for each instance of the program. if you're running linux you could make things more interesting my compiling povray with icc. if i only had some money...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Results in....

I ran one instance so HT not being used and I got 26min 19 seconds...basically only one system at the benchmark place was listed higher that used windows xp...the rest use linux...

2 instances gets done in 43min 39sec for 21min 50sec per one....

Only the Itanium was faster.

Nearest Athlon64 was at 23min 54sec....I don't think it is the FX option but the opteron 244 (1.8ghz) got 22min 58sec so the FX51 should likely be close to mine if running linux like the ones above..

Basically all those system ran compilers for their cpu or ran Linux....

I can see that an intel compiler and Linux could defintely help me and likely push me sub 20min....

The athlon 64 2000mhz on winxp was 5minutes slower showing the 64bit must have helped it.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
2 instances gets done in 43min 39sec for 21min 50sec per one....

are you rendering the whole benchmark image with each instance of povray? if so, could you try rendering half the image with each instance?

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: videoclone
Hmmm... Which catagory do you fit in? ;)

(Before you answer, keep in mind that I read most of the posts in this forum. :p )

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: myocardia
My vote: the Opteron 146, which kills the P4 3.2EE in everything except video encoding. Of course, that's not the proc. for you, if you happen to be a multitasker. Just about any overclocked P4 with HT would be the choice for people who like to run 2 cpu-intensive apps at the same time. Oh, and I didn't vote, since the Opteron wasn't even a choice.

Don't you realize that the FX51 is faster than the Opteron 146??? :confused:

mrgoblin

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
I dont see why this matters and please dont start an arguement. Obviously the amd and p4 have their own strengths in certain areas and I dont think its fair to say one is better than another. Until one processor beats the others in every benchmark, people who use that kind of sw will want that chip This is a moot point and it should be closed immediately.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
>Do you think the AMD AthlonFX51 is the worlds fastest commercial desktop CPU

Questions phrased like this are designed to get a certain answer. Can you guess what that answer is supposed to be?

Maybe Anantech banned enough of the flame-baiters that this won't end up the way it always does. I wouldn't count on it.

>they test around 40 programs games and benchmarks the Athlon wins 80% of them

The reason I don't think much of this way of judging is that sometimes a lot of the "different" tests amount to the same thing. It makes the outcome look more one sided than it is. Depending on what you choose, you could probably make 80% of the tests come out either way. Of course, people may do this unintentionally without realizing it.

If the tests in a head-to-head review are within say 5%, and the winner sometimes switches, I conclude that that they are close enough, and base my choice on other things. I don't consider the absolute winner significant. Unfortunately, most reviews are of things I would never consider buying because they are too expensive. In six months they'll be so much cheaper I'll feel like an idiot. I don't like that feeling.

It is very difficult to do a scientific, unbiased test. In fact I have never seen a good definition of what that would be.

As demonstrated so appallingly in the recent Anandtech CPU review, basing your judgement on evaluations of the top-of-the-line in a product group is misleading. It is completely obvious that manufacturers put out prestige products like the AthlonFX and P4EE, or the super-duper video boards, to get people to think their lower-priced products, where 99% of the sales are, are great too, and will also beat the competition. It is a well-known human failing to go for this. For this reason, I assume, the super duper stuff is what the manufacturers send out to reviewers.

>worlds fastest commercial desktop CPU
Does Sun put out a desktop system? SGI? I wonder what they can do.

BDSM

Jun 6, 2001
Hey ppls.. the guy just wanted to see what others considers to be the best cpu. He states very clearly that it is OVERALL.

So stop whining.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeff7181

Don't you realize that the FX51 is faster than the Opteron 146???
Hasn't anyone told you that the FX51 is 2½ times as expensive, yet offers only minute performance gains?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7181

Don't you realize that the FX51 is faster than the Opteron 146???
Hasn't anyone told you that the FX51 is 2½ times as expensive, yet offers only minute performance gains?

I'm fully aware of the price. The question in the OP doesn't mention anything about prices... and the FX-51 is most definately faster than an Opteron 146.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Videoclone, I don't mean to be rude but do you try your hardest to think of the most stupid threads possible? A quick search and glance at your previous and past threads all seem to confirm that opinion.

acx

Jan 26, 2001
>worlds fastest commercial desktop CPU
Does Sun put out a desktop system? SGI? I wonder what they can do.

Sun makes UltraSPARCIII workstations in the form of SunBlades. SGI has their line of MIPS R14K processors but they are mostly gone from the desktop scene. I haven't seen any UltraSPARC or MIPS benchmarks in a long time.

slaves123

Oct 8, 2003
believe me when I say you do not need a P4EE or an A64FX-51 you (in the majority, of course not all cases) would be ok with a 2Ghz processor, that would give everything you need, and perhaps more... if you would like to hipotetically talk about the fastest computer, the truth and lot of you may know this, is that the really fast computers don't use big processors, they use lots of "little" processor of 200 or 300 Mhz, and, as I say lots... meaning LOT, hundreds of them, the most powerfull if I'm not wrong is a computer (talking of a single unit so every component is in the same room) with 400 processor of 200Mhz (yes take the calculator, wow 80Ghz? Yes 80) used for satellites type calculations or for bank transactions and I forgot the name... well going back to first things... if you can spend enough money to buy a an Opteron or a A64FX-51 or a P4EE, I'm very sorry, but there are fasters than that haha loosers, who laugh now?