News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
I'm not particularly sure what there is to be excited about. It seems like the same old Vega just with a clock bump due to the new process node. We already know that Vega doesn't perform well as a gaming card and the results that AMD showed don't give the impression that this will be any different.

It looks like they just announced the price for this as $700, which isn't particularly compelling. Maybe it squares up nicely against a 2080, but we already know how overpriced that is. This does absolutely nothing to improve the performance/price ratio that most consumers care about.

> 1st 7nm GPU ahead of schedule (no one expected this much less available Feb 7th)
> 8gb HBM2 to 16gb HBM2

For less than the competition.. The price standard was set at Nvidia and no one boycotted.
Lisa Su is dawning a leather jacket.. Welcome to what happens when consumers support inflated prices.

Reactions: kawi6rr and heymrdj

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
AMD shouldn't get praise because they're gouging slightly less than NVidia.
And who wholesale boycotted Nvidia for their insane greed?...
I did.. But others are gobbling up cards.
This is what results..

If you look at the numbers they give for performance it's between 25% - 35% for most of the tasks or games that they list. And they're only charging . . . 40% more for that uplift.
Welcome to the end of Moore's law. You're not going to see higher gains until they go to chiplet architectures.
Don't get me wrong, for me, this is a writeoff just like it was for Nvidia's over-priced cards. It doesn't have the features, performance, or price I want. I'm currently on Pascal and will ride this for a bit longer.

I mean sure, if you hold your turd up to a bigger turd it might look better by comparison, but trying to paint this as some brilliant coup by AMD just isn't going to work.

What's exciting is that a 7nm GPU is going to be shipped Feb 7th and AMD put 16GB HBM2 on it for $699.
This sets a precedence for what Nvidia can charge when they finally get around to such specs.
That's what's exciting. I have no intention to buy AMD or Nvidia's GPU here

Reactions: kawi6rr

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
According to Techspot's benchmarks and AMD's stated +35% increase in Battlefield V for Radeon VII versus OG Vega...

1440P Battlefield V Benchmark numbers

$1199 Geforce 2080 Ti: 142 FPS
$699 Radeon VII: 128 FPS
$799 Geforce 2080: 114 FPS

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
> 1st 7nm GPU ahead of schedule (no one expected this much less available Feb 7th)
> 8gb HBM2 to 16gb HBM2
The MI50 and MI60 were already available last year. This is just the "consumer" version of the Radeon Instinct MI50. Same number of CUs, same amount of memory, slightly higher clock speed. This card isn't new or particularly special

The price standard was set at Nvidia and no one boycotted.

There are quite a few of us who have stated that we have no interest in paying those prices. Putting an AMD sticker on the card isn't going to change my mind.

Lisa Su is dawning a leather jacket..

I don't want to come off as pedantic, but it's donning. It sounds the same, but the verb is spelled "don" just for future reference.

Welcome to what happens when consumers support inflated prices.

And why should we celebrate this at all?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's decent, but I think I'll say on 14nm Vega at a price that is likely to exceed $700 at retailers. The gains coming from the 64 just aren't worth it and it uses around the same amount of power. Nice release date though.

With PCIe 4.0 sneaking up I'd think it better to wait for more refined 7nm cards... maybe fall 2019?

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
AMD shouldn't get praise because they're gouging slightly less than NVidia.

If you look at the numbers they give for performance it's between 25% - 35% for most of the tasks or games that they list. And they're only charging . . . 40% more for that uplift.

I mean sure, if you hold your turd up to a bigger turd it might look better by comparison, but trying to paint this as some brilliant coup by AMD just isn't going to work.
Why cant AMD use GDDR6 and sell for less? Who is forcing them to stick with HBM?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Why cant AMD use GDDR6 and sell for less? Who is forcing them to stick with HBM?

They likely will use GDDR6 when they announce/release their Navi GPUs. This is just a consumer launch of one of their existing Radeon Instinct server GPUs which was designed to use HBM2.

Even if GDDR6 would let them shave $100 off the price, the cost of redesigning this thing to support it wouldn't yield anywhere near enough sales to make up for those costs.

Reactions: Magee_MC

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

I saw an article that said GDDR6 is 70% more expensive than GDDR5 whilst delivering 75% better performance. It's still pricey so it might have just been a wash between spending money to implement AMD's GDDR6 controller vs their already shipping HBM2. That said Vega 7 is an Instinct MI50 moved into the consumer space. Same specs up and down.

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
They likely will use GDDR6 when they announce/release their Navi GPUs. This is just a consumer launch of one of their existing Radeon Instinct server GPUs which was designed to use HBM2.

Even if GDDR6 would let them shave $100 off the price, the cost of redesigning this thing to support it wouldn't yield anywhere near enough sales to make up for those costs.
Well they better announce/release Navi soon as things keep getting bad to worse every year due to lack of competition(atleast in the hi end)

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
The MI50 and MI60 were already available last year. This is just the "consumer" version of the Radeon Instinct MI50. Same number of CUs, same amount of memory, slightly higher clock speed. This card isn't new or particularly special
It's a consumer version with consumer pricing that brings competition to Nvidia. That's why it's important.

There are quite a few of us who have stated that we have no interest in paying those prices. Putting an AMD sticker on the card isn't going to change my mind.
Same

I don't want to come off as pedantic, but it's donning. It sounds the same, but the verb is spelled "don" just for future reference.
Typos happen. No need to go further than that.
pedantic... kek :rolleyes:

And why should we celebrate this at all?
Because it's progress and comeptition. You left out the part where I stated I wouldn't be buying AMD nor Nvidia's GPUs at this price.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I wish they had just settled for clocking it down a bit to get the efficiency up a little. AT is suggesting 300(+?!)W....

Well they better announce/release Navi soon as things keep getting bad to worse every year due to lack of competition(atleast in the hi end)

Given the 590 and now this? Really not the behaviour of a company about to push out something somewhat better soon.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
HBM2 has better performance, bandwidth, and power utilization characteristics.
They delivered double the amount of memory for a lower price than nvidia.
I'm sure a GDDR6 product will come. The power utilization will be higher, performance lower, and bandwidth lower. Vega struck me as compensating for architectural problems w/ higher memory performance. Maybe they'll resolve that with navi and allow them to go towards GDDR6.

TypoFairy©

Jul 29, 2003
24lob6f.png

seems like the game bundle is already being offered on newegg.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
I suppose there is some value in having a choice of massively overpriced (for their performance) GPUs.
There's value in chipping away at massively overpriced GPUs. Undercutting by $100 while delivering double the memory and memory bandwidth....

Again, I won't be buying this.. But I do note the progress.
Also, a 7nm consumer GPU is now available as of Feb 7th...
Now Nvidia has to get off their but and deliver one as well.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
When its low volume, still notably lower efficiency than their current cards etc etc? Navi might well make NV move but their 12nm stuff will still be ableto cover that.

TypoFairy©

Jul 29, 2003
Lisa seems to feel that we will be impressed by future launches later in the year, so I'm expecting a super Navi hype train when that gets closer to release.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
How has AMD been at delivering GPUs they announce? I haven't bought one of their products in a while and was just considering a 2060 RTX to replace my GTX 1070, but this AMD offering looks interesting with all that RAM.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
How has AMD been at delivering GPUs they announce? I haven't bought one of their products in a while and was just considering a 2060 RTX to replace my GTX 1070, but this AMD offering looks interesting with all that RAM.

Do you mean delivering on time or delivering in expected performance?

Reactions: UsandThem

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I'm actually impressed considering that this is a Vega shrink and it is still swinging at the 2080, I hope it foreshadows what is to come with Navi. It is also easier to justify that price
I typically upgrade on a 4-6 year cycle (depending on improvements), and I very much look forward to an all AMD build.

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
Really hoped to hear about the mythical 300$ 1080 level navi card. Instead of that we now have a bunch of power hungry gpu's out of reach in price for most people. It might take more than 3 years to a get a performance per dollar uplift for the 250$ range.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Do you mean delivering on time or delivering in expected performance?

Delivering on time which I think I read mid year. I wouldn't buy it without reading some reviews of the actual product so I'm just trying to figure out if I should hit the pause button till its potential release.

It's DOA. We all know what people purchase when both AMD and NVIDIA offer GPUs at the same price.

Why do you say that? I don't care about brand anymore so long as the drivers aren't a nightmare, but I'm sure people still buy based on brand even when prices aren't exactly in line.