amd and nvidia cards simultaneously?

hodgenutts

Jul 26, 2007
My computer is plugged into a 120 hz led tv via hdmi. Can I have an AMD card and an NVIDIA card in my tower at the same time, and an hdmi cable running out of each card into 2 different hdmi ports on the tv? The reason I ask is some games are better with NVIDIA than AMD and vice versa. That way, all I would have to do is just switch hdmi ports on my tv accordingly. Anyone know if this will work?

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Sure, that should work. Just be sure to have Windows to disable one "display" when you don't want it active.

Pedroc1999

Jan 8, 2013
It is only alot to spend if the user plays games like crysis and metro on full settings, but if he plays GTA SA and Minecraft then it would cost him that muchm, But i agree the result might not be visible

hodgenutts

Jul 26, 2007
well a here's a great example. The 7950 pulls an average of 42 FPS in W.o.W and drops into the 20's at times on full settings.

I throw in the GTX 660 (non-ti) and enjoy an average FPS of 56 with a minimum in the high 40's.

This was in new content of the new expansion of Mists of Pandaria. I recorded for 60 seconds with Fraps to get my results. The games looks better and more defined witht the Nvidia card.

All settings on ultra at 1080p.

However, I must note, Starcraft 2 looks better with the 7950. For example, When I warp in a pylon while playing protos it is much more defined with the 7950.

Please note, I am not a fan boy. I don't think there is a clear "Black and White" as one brand better than the other. For example on paper, the 7950 specs make it the superior card becuase of the memory size and bandwidth, however I have verified a game can perform better with the GTX 660. Being superior isn't just in the physical components of the card, it also includes drivers and how well the card processes a game with the available resources it has.

I acutally like both cards for different things. Just feel AMD is not currently maximizing their resources right now. The 7950 was a Christmas present. I was able to grab the GTX 660 (non-ti) superclocked edition at a local store for $209.

Last edited:

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Brings back the days when I ran the original Geforce and a Voodo 3 on the same gaming rig. It was not worth it in the end with all the hassle to get them to run in separate hardware profiles but things have changed in Windows since then.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Sure, that should work. Just be sure to have Windows to disable one "display" when you don't want it active.

Is that all you'd need to do? I thought AMD drivers blocked nVidia and vice versa. :confused:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Is that all you'd need to do? I thought AMD drivers blocked nVidia and vice versa. :confused:
Nope. They get along just fine. The only thing that doesn't work is PhysX (NV doesn't allow it when an AMD GPU is present and active).