amd a8-5545m or intel i3-4010U. need help from people owning one of these htpc

kaivish

Oct 15, 2014
I am thinking to get a compact HTPC to use to stream HD content from the web and also use it for heavy web based flash streaming. It will be used for playbackof fullHD movies, mkvs, mp4 etc. with 5.1, 7.1 DTS HD, HD audio - HDMI passthrough.
Running OS will either be windows 7 or 8, whichever one will be recommended here.

I have narrowed down my choices to 2 builds due to budget

1. Gigabyte brix gb-bxa8-5545m
+ msata crucial 120gb or kingston ssdnow sms200 120gb
+ kingston value so-dimm ddr3L 1600mhz 8gb

OR

2. Intel NUC D3410WYK 4th gen core i3 4010U
+ samme SSD and RAM as above
+ intel dual band ac wifi mini card.

The intel NUC cost a little bit more than the AMD based brix.
What I am looking for is something than can perform the above mentioned tasks easily but at the same time be rather "future-proof". For me future proof means that I can use it without upgrades for the next 3-5 years.

Cant really decide between the 2. would like to get the best out of these 2.

Any advice and help will be much appreciated.
btw, this is my first HTPC build, but I used to build my own pcs many years back. fell off this train a while ago.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Geez if you are using Windows this is actually a hardish decision. I always run to Intel but you are at the exact point where its close.

kaivish

Oct 15, 2014
been trying to gather as much info as possible on the internet regarding these 2 CPUs.
lots of benchmarks, many numbers, but i want to know in real day to day use which one is faster and worth while.
Read abt OpenELEC, might be a probable OS, it will cut down the cost as the OS doesnt require licensing, but will probably need the pc for a little bit more than just media center.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
been trying to gather as much info as possible on the internet regarding these 2 CPUs.
lots of benchmarks, many numbers, but i want to know in real day to day use which one is faster and worth while.
Read abt OpenELEC, might be a probable OS, it will cut down the cost as the OS doesnt require licensing, but will probably need the pc for a little bit more than just media center.

If you want the OpenELEC option at any point go Intel. The AMD isn't even an option then IMHO.