AMD A4 micro-6400T user review

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
The device is the hp stream 14. This device uses a tiny amount of power, I checked it with my kilawat.
  • 5W idle in min brightness, no sound, idle wifi and bluetooth connected.
  • 10W Under cpu load, cpu clocks upto 1.25GHz, max brightness, no sound, low wifi usage and bluetooth connected
  • 12W Under gpu load, cpu clocks down to 800Mz, GPU upto 350MHz, max brightness, med sound, low wifi usage and bluetooth connected

Pros:
  • surprising gpu performance
  • decent cpu performance
  • low heat
  • low power!

Cons:
  • some gpu acceleration issues for html5 video and flash video
  • cpu feels about the same as a baytrail atom

can't link to my videos but follow the link in my sig to find out more, although it's WIP.

geoxile

Sep 23, 2014
Can you measure min brightness idle with max brightness idle? All other things equal. And is there and way you can isolate the system power consumption - screen power consumption

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Can you measure min brightness idle with max brightness idle? All other things equal. And is there and way you can isolate the system power consumption - screen power consumption

I could test min bright idle and max bright idle and also with the display off through hdmi.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The device is the hp stream 14. This device uses a tiny amount of power, I checked it with my kilawat.
  • 5W idle in min brightness, no sound, idle wifi and bluetooth connected.
  • 10W Under cpu load, cpu clocks upto 1.25GHz, max brightness, no sound, low wifi usage and bluetooth connected
  • 12W Under gpu load, cpu clocks down to 800Mz, GPU upto 350MHz, max brightness, med sound, low wifi usage and bluetooth connected

To isolate the SoC power CPU/GPU loading should rather be done with the same conditions as idle.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
1ovANaz.png

min bright idle airplane mode

Lgef4fg.png

max bright idle airplane mode

3UcPXAr.png

max bright idle wireless on

very frugal but could be better, also the display has an odd efficiency curve, above ~90% brightness is an extra watt. Cant get to use the tv now and there doesnt seem to be a way to just shut off the display.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
What browser are you using? Sometimes IE is better for GPU acceleration.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
1ovANaz.png

min bright idle airplane mode

very frugal but could be better, also the display has an odd efficiency curve, above ~90% brightness is an extra watt. Cant get to use the tv now and there doesnt seem to be a way to just shut off the display.

MC, could you check the DC adaptator idle power.?.

Just unplug the DC output from the laptop, your killawatt seems sensitive enough to measure 1-2W, looking at the 3.2W at idle theses losses should be quite low.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
MC, could you check the DC adaptator idle power.?.

Just unplug the DC output from the laptop, your killawatt seems sensitive enough to measure 1-2W, looking at the 3.2W at idle theses losses should be quite low.

I checked it and there is no power draw from the brick. Testing with display on and off...

9svXr40.png

max bright, idle, screen on, airplane mode,

8xQnYns.png

min bright, idle, screen on, airplane mode

A9BRdAf.png

idle, screen off, airplane mode

UM80BLz.png

idle, screen off, wireless connected

b6oIGB4.png

high power mode, clocks upto ~1.5GHz

GKukiGq.png

high power mode, clocks upto 1.3Ghz when all cores loaded

uZX7jsH.png

power saving mode, gaming load

so some power numbers:
2W base idle
3W for display
1W for wireless
4W for 4 cores upto ~1.3GHz
2W for 1 core upto ~1.5GHz
5W for gaming [devil may cry 4] gpu load

Last edited:

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Sweet quick "review"! Perhaps you could do some more benchies and game tests for us, like perhaps 3DMark06?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I checked it and there is no power draw from the brick. Testing with display on and off...

min bright, idle, screen on, airplane mode

A9BRdAf.png

idle, screen off, airplane mode

GKukiGq.png

high power mode, clocks upto 1.3Ghz when all cores loaded

so some power numbers:
2W base idle
3W for display
1W for wireless
4W for 4 cores upto ~1.3GHz
2W for 1 core upto ~1.5GHz
5W for gaming [devil may cry 4] gpu load

Thanks for the try, at 1.9W idle screen off it s indeed very efficient, nice power numbers, an A10 u6700T does 1.5-1.6GHz with all cores loaded, this sample is very good in this respect given the theorical 1.0 base frequency and 1.6 turbo.

artivix

May 5, 2014

Pros:
  • surprising gpu performance
  • decent cpu performance
  • low heat
  • low power!

Cons:
  • some gpu acceleration issues for html5 video and flash video
  • cpu feels about the same as a baytrail atom

can't link to my videos but follow the link in my sig to find out more, although it's WIP.

There are deal sites now showing Microsoft Store is having special sales of HP Stream 14 at $229 shipped. At this price for quad core 6400T, quad speakers and aluminum build, it is a much better buy compared to Chromebooks.

With apps and games utilizing more cores, the performance difference will be growing too. Thanks for gaming samples and if you have example videos with multi thread apps and games that would be great too.

Another user video from Chile shows sample web site load and apps like Microsoft Excel and it looks close to desktop quad core performance. Watching on smartphone, the Stream display looks pretty clear with good color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp6GjgT6vE (Spanish user HP Stream 14)

Last edited:

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Just ordered the Stream 14. We'll see how it goes. If it turns out to be crap I'll take advantage of Microsoft's free returns. It'll be a light use Office, Firefox, Netflix machine so I doubt I'll have issues. HDMI, USB 3.0 and the better graphics over intel are the reasons I chose it.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Just ordered the Stream 14. We'll see how it goes. If it turns out to be crap I'll take advantage of Microsoft's free returns. It'll be a light use Office, Firefox, Netflix machine so I doubt I'll have issues. HDMI, USB 3.0 and the better graphics over intel are the reasons I chose it.

I'm having a heck of a time with video acceleration, something my atom tablet just chews through.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
firefox and chrome:
  • youtube flash/html5
  • hulu
  • crunchroll
  • most random flash video players

cpu usage goes way up, both on 14.9 and omega drivers.

I mean darn it, my old c-50 apu could play youtube better than this.

Hmm. I haven't seen anyone else reporting issues with those. That being said the 14 isn't as popular as the 11 and 13 and uses a different chipset so there is less of a userbase to go by. Once I get some time with mine I will report back. Makes me think it could be a driver issue with the new APU.

artivix

May 5, 2014
firefox and chrome:
  • youtube flash/html5
  • hulu
  • crunchroll

small_1080p-yt.jpg

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-...nstream-and-LowPower-2014-APUs-Tested/?page=8

From many reviews of AMD Mullins 6700T tested in tablet version is good, 6400T should be about equal in video performance, around 4-7% 1080p Youtube.

Online search for HP Stream shows users found Celeron N2840 version has high CPU utilization because of Realtek DTS process. Does Win Task Manager show this with Stream 14 6400T?

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
firefox and chrome:
  • youtube flash/html5
  • hulu
  • crunchroll

cpu usage goes way up, both on 14.9 and omega drivers.

I mean darn it, my old c-50 apu could play youtube better than this.

There a few things,

1) first dont forget its probably not the same youtube codec you have experienced on the C-50, unless you are still using your c-50 today.

2) The video decoder on BT Atoms are just, too good.

3) The turbos on the 6400T does seem a bit low.

Can you make a 3dmark run? i want to see those physics scores.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
There a few things,

1) first dont forget its probably not the same youtube codec you have experienced on the C-50, unless you are still using your c-50 today.

2) The video decoder on BT Atoms are just, too good.

3) The turbos on the 6400T does seem a bit low.

Can you make a 3dmark run? i want to see those physics scores.

yeah the baytrail decoder is pretty good. I did run the 3dmark tests and it did score pretty low.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
yeah the baytrail decoder is pretty good. I did run the 3dmark tests and it did score pretty low.

Thanks for posting ... I have one of these (Stream 14) in a box waiting for Christmas to give as a gift, and I wanted a basic understanding of the difference between this and, say, an i3/4030-based laptop.