[AMD] 6990 is World's Fastest Video Card, Nvidia lying about the 590, the slower card

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
This is more than opinion and I'm not the only one who thinks so. He is going far and away beyond the normalcy of opinion and bordering on obsession. IMHO. I don't know why some can see this while others are totally numb to it.

Keys, I never said I disagreed with you. I really didn't. I was just responding to people who said he should be silenced or the thread locked. I also know you didn't say any of those things. I agree. It is over the top, but who am I to judge.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is more than opinion and I'm not the only one who thinks so. He is going far and away beyond the normalcy of opinion and bordering on obsession. IMHO. I don't know why some can see this while others are totally numb to it. But Welshbloke has a point. I'll end it here.

Grooveriding is Happymedium's arch nemesis saying that either of them is working for the team they root for so strongly without proof is BS!

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
fanboyism ≠ marketing

And if you think AMD fanboys are bad try starting a thread about how GPU PhysX isn't worth the performance cost.

Edited for smart mouths.

Last edited:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
No 4x Gtx 580s in sli is the world fastest.
Any tests to prove that? SLI doesn't scale as well as Crossfire and I believe SLI doens't quite support Quad SLI. Maybe that's changed for the GTX 590.

Ease down a little. It was only tongue and cheek. Plus, he's a friend of mine. :p
I don't usually intend my posts to be mean and that one follows suit. Maybe I should have added a :p at the end.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Any tests to prove that? SLI doesn't scale as well as Crossfire and I believe SLI doens't quite support Quad SLI

Actually I was bored a few nights ago on my vacation and found a few benchmarks that support that Nvidia has improved there 4 way sli. I would say its the fastest setup money can buy, but you need a highly overclocked i7 2600k to even start to push them.
4 600$ 3gb gtx580's are the fastest thing out there.

Last edited:

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Any tests to prove that? SLI doesn't scale as well as Crossfire and I believe SLI doens't quite support Quad SLI. Maybe that's changed for the GTX 590.

I don't usually intend my posts to be mean and that one follows suit. Maybe I should have added a :p at the end.

4 x Gtx 580s
signature.img

The best Amd one can do
3 x 6950 flashed to 6970

signature.img

What about the scaling did you say?

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Thanks for proving my point. I pray you're just being a smart mouth and actually know what I meant.

Any additional filtering of the output...AAA etc, MSAA blah blah is a performance hit...It is an option to use...that's all Im saying..!, I'm not going to get in a shooting match over it!

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I posted a simple thread about an AMD PR release. One I 80% agree with and the nvidia fanboys are up in arms. They label the post extremism and marketing etc.

Fact is, the 590 is slower and did not turn out as they'd hoped so we can't discuss it ? Laughable. I remember the comments when the 6970 and 6990 came out about the 'amd camp' 'moving the goalposts' because they didn't want to discuss heat output and noise but they did when the 480 launched and was a noisy furnace.

Now the 590 comes out and is slower than the 6990 and is an exploding turd and suddenly it is about noise levels, not heat mind you, because the 590 is a furnace and gives off 110C temperatures dumping heat into your case. Not about FPS in demanding games either of course, because it's slower than the 6990.

It's the fanboys who are outraged and polluting the thread. If threads that are not painting nv in the best light are so hard for you to handle, why not stay out of them ? Your tender sensibilities will be kept intact and you won't end up posting inflammatory and insulting crap about other posters here.

For the record. http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31261374&postcount=22

For the hardcore fanboys they can't even fathom not being in love with the hardware because they own it.

Let's face it, you don't like the thread because it's true. The 590 is slower than the 6990 and it tends to explode when you overclock it. This is a real failure because overclocking is something nvidia cards generally tout as a strength.

Rather than attack the messenger, just move on and accept the message and focus on the strengths of the card if it's so important to you. At least it's quieter. ():)

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
... they did when the 480 launched and was a noisy furnace.

The difference is:

1) You could purchase aftermarket GTX480s soon after release. So you didn't necessarily have to have a loud videocard. With HD6990, this isn't an option thus far.

2) GTX480 was actually faster than the HD5870 by a good 15-20%, with advantage only increasing in DX11 titles. GTX480 also had better min. framerates. HD6990 doesn't have as dominant lead in gaming as the GTX480 had over the 5870.

3) Sure the 480 was a loud card, but compared to the 6990 it was still not as bad. In addition, you always had the option to change the TIM and put a high flow backet to improve cooling. These 2 mods would lower temps by 8-10*C with ease. The 6990 on the other hand is the 2nd loudest videocard of all time. It already comes with the best TIM. Pretty much everyone who thought the 480 was loud shouldn't even be considering a reference 6990.

It's the fanboys who are outraged and polluting the thread. If threads that are not painting nv in the best light are so hard for you to handle, why not stay out of them ? For the hardcore fanboys they can't even fathom not being in love with the hardware because they own it.

I think you are taking this single card performance crown debate too seriously. :) Both the 590 and the 6990 are not very good: hot, poor overclockers, overpriced. In all honesty, recall the HD5970. It could often be found for $600-650 when the 5870 cost $350-400. Now, 6990 costs almost as much as Tri-Fire HD6950. Arguying which card is better here is just semantics as they are both underwhelming to say the least. For the few individuals who will buy these cards, it will come down to other features anyways (noise, PhysX, 6 monitor support, MLAA, 3D vision, tessellation performance, brand preference, etc.).

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This thread is painful. Why the OP created it to prove something he believes 80% in is beyond me. These are halo cards. A small percentage of people will purchase them. People who obviously dont care about money, heat, or noise.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
The difference is:

1) You could purchase aftermarket GTX480s soon after release. So you didn't necessarily have to have a loud videocard. With HD6990, this isn't an option thus far.

2) GTX480 was actually faster than the HD5870 by a good 15-20%, and more so in DX11 titles. HD6990 doesn't have as dominant lead in gaming as the GTX480 had over the 5870.

3) Sure the 480 was a loud card, but compared to the 6990 it was still not as bad. In addition, you always had the option to change the TIM and put a high flow backet to improve cooling. These 2 mods would lower temps by 8-10*C with ease. The 6990 on the other hand is the 2nd loudest videocard of all time. So pretty much everyone who thought the 480 was loud shouldn't even be considering a reference 6990.

I think you are taking this single card performance crown debate too seriously. Both the 590 and the 6990 are utter failures: hot, poor overclockers, overpriced. In all honesty, recall the HD5970. It could often be found for $600-650 when the 5870 cost $350-400. Now, 6990 costs almost as much as Tri-Fire HD6950. Arguying which card is better here is just semantics as they are both underwhelming to say the least. :)

Agreed with all points but changing the TIM and using the high-flow brackets on the 480. It made little difference for me, 1-2C and they're still noisy. Albeit the cramped quarters they're in may be the reason, for a single card it may be a larger improvement.

Fortunately I game with headphones :thumbsup:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I posted a simple thread about an AMD PR release. One I 80% agree with and the nvidia fanboys are up in arms. They label the post extremism and marketing etc.

Fact is, the 590 is slower and did not turn out as they'd hoped so we can't discuss it ? Laughable. I remember the comments when the 6970 and 6990 came out about the 'amd camp' 'moving the goalposts' because they didn't want to discuss heat output and noise but they did when the 480 launched and was a noisy furnace.

Now the 590 comes out and is slower than the 6990 and is an exploding turd and suddenly it is about noise levels, not heat mind you, because the 590 is a furnace and gives off 110C temperatures dumping heat into your case. Not about FPS in demanding games either of course, because it's slower than the 6990.

It's the fanboys who are outraged and polluting the thread. If threads that are not painting nv in the best light are so hard for you to handle, why not stay out of them ? Your tender sensibilities will be kept intact and you won't end up posting inflammatory and insulting crap about other posters here.

For the record. http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31261374&postcount=22

For the hardcore fanboys they can't even fathom not being in love with the hardware because they own it.

Let's face it, you don't like the thread because it's true. The 590 is slower than the 6990 and it tends to explode when you overclock it. This is a real failure because overclocking is something nvidia cards generally tout as a strength.

Rather than attack the messenger, just move on and accept the message and focus on the strengths of the card if it's so important to you. At least it's quieter. ():)

imho,

Calling things Turd and using ATI's PR to counter nVidia's PR and call an IHV a liar isn't extreme? You raised some very good points as well and agree with some of them. When one tries to force ones view onto others is like banging ones head against the wall. It's self defeating and posters may tune you out.

I don't understand arguing and mocking a reviewer that has tested both cards as well -- this isn't extreme? Have you tested the hardware first hand?

If one doesn't like a choice; it's great because one has that choice to.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
This thread is painful. Why the OP created it to prove something he believes 80% in is beyond me. These are halo cards. A small percentage of people will purchase them. People who obviously dont care about money, heat, or noise.

Checked out the forums lately? With threads discussing DA2, Deus Ex and Crysis 2 being consolized and "dumbed down", we can all probably take a vacation from the videocard forums until BF3 arrives and pushes the animation/graphics envelope.

With HD6950 / CF and GTX570 / SLI setups both offering excellent performance for most users in just about any of these newer games, we really should have ~ 7-8 months of stress free video forums. :D

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
With HD6950 / CF and GTX570 / SLI setups both offering excellent performance for most users in just about any of these newer games, we really should have ~ 7-8 months of stress free video forums. :D

The thread is over. I declare this man to be the winner.

/thread

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Checked out the forums lately? With threads discussing DA2, Deus Ex and Crysis 2 being consolized and "dumbed down", we can all probably take a vacation from the videocard forums until BF3 arrives and pushes the animation/graphics envelope.

No way! We still have the thrilling GT 530 AKA GF118 before we can get to 28nm. Seriously though, I hope they don't bother with that card. I think GF108 already had all its units enabled anyway.

Is AMD staying with 5770 till 28nm? I dont see a problem with it since its still at least as good as 550 Ti but it will seem weird to have no releases till fall after the madness of Q1 2011.

@Groove. Thanks for the explanation a ways back on why you have the 480's. Makes sense given your rez and what was available at the time and your right an upgrade doesnt make sense right now. :thumbsup:

Waiting for LGA 2011 myself, as there isn't much left for the old 680i

Cheers

Last edited:

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
we really should have ~ 7-8 months of stress free video forums. :D

lololol who are we kidding? The only time the video forums have been stress free is when one company beats the living crap out of the other and there is nothing to argue about.

Otherwise it's zomg it's loud, zomg it's power hungry, zomg it explodes.