AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Why so amazing? We knew they'd be competitive, and it is.

The two races are quite well priced Vs each other. (no surprise of course!).

Mostly a fight to see who can ship more (or less ;))

Very interested to see where the mobile GPU's end up. That could be very interesting.
i was referring to my previous post about how nVidia always had superior perf/watt. now the tables have turned!

Reactions: Tlh97

CastleBravo

Dec 6, 2019
A potentially very interesting slide from HWU. As far as I am aware, Dirt 5 is the first DXR1.1 game whereas all previous ray tracing games were DXR1.0. Here, AMD actually has a smaller hit from enabling ray tracing than the 3080 does whereas in the DXR1.0 games, the 6800XT has a much larger performance hit from ray tracing. Is this a precursor to future DXR1.1 performance or a one off? I have no idea.

View attachment 34095

DXR 1.1 vs DXR 1.0 might have something to do with those results, but there has to be something else going on here for the 6800 XT to have a gigantic 30% lead over the 3080 without ray tracing.

I think I'm leaning more towards the 3080 at this point.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Wow I hate to so it, but I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting the 6800xt to be faster than the 3080 in rasterization but its actually a little slower. And in RT it gets straight up smoked.

Kind of depends on how you look at it. The 6800XT is averaging about ~100W less than the 3080 and when you OC both the performance is a wash. Basically NVidia has done what AMD did with Polaris where they pushed it to the limit and made the power draw ridiculous, and AMD has done what NVidia did at that time by keeping the clocks at a more reasonable point in the efficiency curve.

From that dude at H .. maybe we’ll be able to get cards over the next month or two.

View attachment 34094

I wouldn't bet on it, even if AMD does have 5x more stock in waiting with AIB cards. If you look at some of the data about backorders for the 3080/3090 that were posted here, it's pretty clear that there's so much demand that even 10x NVidia's supply won't be enough to keep cards in stock.

I'm not familiar with this person or their track record, so is there any reason to believe what they're saying at all?

Reactions: Martimus

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
DXR 1.1 vs DXR 1.0 might have something to do with those results, but there has to be something else going on here for the 6800 XT to have a gigantic 30% lead over the 3080 without ray tracing.

Maybe. I expect that RT consoles will largely outnumber add in cards of this gen (3xxx nvidia and AMD RDNA2) maybe by an order of magnitude by the end of the year. It's likely 2021 titles with RT will optimize heavily based on however AMD is doing it. I expect that the PS5 is going to have 4k/30p/RT on settings and it is about half as powerful (probably) as the 6800xt.

It may be that NVidias lack of product will also hamper optimization for their current architecture.

Reactions: KompuKare and Tlh97

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
People, please.
STOP USING TPU AS REFERENCE!

Let's wait until there are more reviews to reach a consensus.
TPU numbers for Radeon are always slower than everyone else.

There are plenty other reviews up.

Reactions: Leeea and Tlh97

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

The Dirt developers are an AMD partner, their games always who an advantage for AMD cards, at least at launch and for a bit after. The overall performance wasn't the point though, just the effect on performance from turning on ray tracing which was very similar in this title between the 6800XT and the 3080 compared to earlier ray tracing titles that showed ray tracing having a much larger effect on AMD cards. Again, could be a one off but also might point to more even RT performance in future titles. It's interesting that Watch Dogs Legion also shows good RT performance on AMD cards as it was designed for PS5/XSX ray tracing as well. It's only two data points but so far the only 2 games we have that were developed with RDNA2 ray tracing in mind have shown good performance on AMD cards. We'll have to wait to see how other titles pan out.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Very nice release by AMD. Competitive performance aside from RT, more RAM, lower power consumption, multi-monitor power consumption is finally in check, and fans only spin at 1600 rpm under load.

Too bad about availability, but lets face it, TSMC is the real bottleneck here. Really curious about N22 cards that are supposed to be coming next year.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Very nice release by AMD. Competitive performance aside from RT, more RAM, lower power consumption, multi-monitor power consumption is finally in check, and fans only spin at 1600 rpm under load.

Too bad about availability, but lets face it, TSMC is the real bottleneck here. Really curious about N22 cards that are supposed to be coming next year.

Two things.

One, AMD could have had 100K units available today and they still would have sold out instantly.
Two, AMD typically sends most of the available dies to AIBs. These reference cards are only going to be sold for a while, and then AIB cards will be available in greater quantities. This matches their previous releases, and what some rumors are saying.

So in two weeks when AIB cards become available, we should(?) start seeing them be more available. But with demand so high this year, that might not even be the case.

But I don't see AMD having the same production issues nVidia is. nVidia hasn't even fulfilled day one orders yet.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Nice release lol. 6800XT is a disappointing product for those who had the chance to buy a 3080 but didn't because they wanted to see what AMD was offering. Wasn't worth the wait as its also a paper launch and a mediocre product. But if both were available I'd choose AMD 6800XT probably because i dont really care about RT that much. But drivers, well. Ideally one would expect working drivers for $650 card so hopefully AMD focuses on that.

Last edited:

Antey

Jul 4, 2019
DXR Perf:

mKHwxXdRL9R94aLfvDzZKg-970-80.png.webp

Not bad for the first generation.

the good;

the bad (and also the ugly):

Source;: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
A bit slower than I expected after the AMD numbers, however it's probably where I expected it to be originally (before the AMD releases/teasers kind of threw me off). The full Navi21 will be faster than the 3080 by probably around 5%, but probably slower than the 3090, which is more or less where I thought it would end up months ago.

Perf/watt looks very good - better than Nvidia (the margin depends on where you're looking, but even if you ignore TPU - other sites have AMD in the lead as well). RT is clearly weaker, and not very surprising given that this is a first-gen implementation and also less polished anyway.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

That's not fair.

Lisa Su is an engineer and actually quite brilliant. Steve Jobs was a salesman that believed vibrations and ginseng could cure cancer.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You're right, it's about 5% more mediocre than the 3080 FE.
A 3080 in hand that you can sell later on for full price if you want to will give a much smoother gameplay experience than the 6800 XT you couldn't buy today.

That being said, I would guess the number of people who legitimately had the chance to check out a 3080 and didn't because they were waiting on AMD is vanishingly small.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
A 3080 in hand that you can sell later on for full price if you want to will give a much smoother gameplay experience than the 6800 XT you couldn't buy today.
Availability here has been awful for months. As I said earlier, I'll buy whichever I can get my hands on first and despite it being 2 months after launch I still haven't had an "Add to Cart" button that actually checked out for the RTX 3080.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
6800XT ended up almost exactly where I thought it would, great card. Perf/watt is quite a bit better than I expected. Raytracing is the fly in the drink, expect Nvidia to crank it to 13 in NV sponsored titles never mind if it offers no discernible visual improvement versus reasonable levels.