AMD 500/DFI MB system locks up in 3D

wunpac

Apr 25, 2000
I recently upgraded my system to the following
-AMD K6-2 500
-DFI P5BV3+/E ,100mhz, 512K, VIA Apollo 598. 3-PCI, 3-ISA, 2-DIMM. by (DFI)
-64MB 8x64 PC100 Non-Parity Unbuf DIMM 3.3V

In addition, I have a TNT card, TV card, SB Live, and a total of 192MB PC100. Nothing is overclocked but the system locks up after a few minutes of gameplay. Also, once when I rebooted, I got a message about the video card not being installed properly. It took a few reboots to get everything to recognize the video card, but when I would go back into a 3D game, the system will lock up after a few minutes. Any suggestions?

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
The P5BV3+/e is an older DFI board, incapable of feeding the required high amperage into a K6-2/500. Guess why they revamped the P5... boards to become K6... - that was ONLY about stronger CPU voltage regulators. The K6... boards were recently revised again to become K6.../66, featuring an UDMA66 capable south bridge, more bus clock options, stronger AGP voltage feed, more CPU voltage choices, and hardware monitoring.

Your problem might also stem from that old board design's AGP voltage regulator being incapable of feeding the power hungry original RivaTNT properly.

So whoever sold you that P5BV3+/e sold you stuff two generations old. Return it, and get the current K6BV3+/66. Get the 2 MB L2 cache version while you're at it.

Regards, Peter

wunpac

Apr 25, 2000
Thanks Peter. It's too bad I didn't ask first before buying it. :( Since I am going to replace it anyway, is there a better choice than DFI for the K6-2 500? I know that the AGP is shared with the PCI. Does that hinder performance and is there a better MB that doesn't share AGP/PCI resources?

Thanks again
Dennis