Question AMD 3700x not sure if should upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

willhub89

Oct 3, 2022
Hi,

So firstly, here are my current specs:
3700x
B350F ROG Motherboard
4x8GB DDR4 @ XMP (3200Mhz)
850W Leadex superflower PSU
Zotac AMP Holo 3080Ti

I run the computer connected to an LG BX display so it's running 4k 120Hz. I also game on my laptop with the computer (via Geforce experience Gamestream and moonlight client on my laptop, sometimes 1080p and sometimes 1440p)

I can't really determine if I would get good value upgrading to a 5800x3d and keeping this platform for another year or two , of course AM4 is a dead platform and I'd hate to run into problems in the next 2 years such as CPU not fast enough or bottlenecking future GPU.

I notice my framerate in FS2020 at 4k really isn't great and DLSS does nothing yet I can see in the same location (NYC) and same settings with same GPU they're getting 50fps Vs my 25fps, I can only think the CPU is bottlenecking the 3080Ti even at 4k?

Other options is I got 7600X, new mobo and ram Vs sticking with the current B350F with 5800X maybe get a 2tb nvme for £150 as well.

Or... Stick with current setup with 3700x and get a 40 series of even RDNA3.

Thoughts?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you disable the multiple threading does it impact the performance of the 5800x3d?
In some games yes. I have the vanilla 5800X and there has been no need to do that so far. I run ECO mode with the +200MHz boost with a $42 240mm AIO, and have yet to reach 70c gaming while getting 5050MHz boost.

Reactions: maddogmcgee
Jul 27, 2020
In some games yes.
Off the top of your head, do you remember the performance impact in fps or percentage?

Personally, I think disabling hyperthreading would reduce the cache pressure on the V-cache as fewer threads would have more cache capacity to themselves. Most games don't go farther than using 6 threads so 8 cores should do pretty well.

Also, lesser heat could mean even better boost clocks.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Off the top of your head, do you remember the performance impact in fps or percentage?
Any game that can utilize more threads than turned off will suffer to some degree. Average FPS, percentages? Very little meaning when in game. What will suffer is frame pacing, and that kills emersion and can interfere with the gameplay. At the very least, it's annoying.

We have seen ray tracing has a CPU impact as well. For example: the 12400 can't manage a constant 60FPS in Spiderman with ray tracing maxed. That is a fast modern gaming CPU, so you know moving forward it is going to be tough sledding for anything that has less threads than consoles that are the game's target.

You can micromanage it of course. Turn them off in games where you don't need them. Turn them on when you do. That's the beauty of PC gaming, the level of user control is extensive.