AMD 2200G APU at list ($99) @ Amazon

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Pretty sad day when posting an MSRP launch price is a 'hot' deal...lol. That said, this is actually a good deal seeing as Amazon isn't price gouging like Newegg.

Thanks Larry!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, Newegg is probably the worst "mainstream" retailer when it comes to gouging. Just take a look at all their $999.99 Vega 56 and $1199.99 Vega 64 cards they are selling right now.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
whats so special about this CPU? Isn't it super slow?

There are much better CPUs out there, but for a comparison lets compare it to a cpu of yester year AMD R3 2200G vs Intel Core i5 4670k in a cpu test

Cinebench 11.5 numbers

AMD 2200G
ST 1.54
MT 6.24

Intel Core i5 4670k
ST 1.70
MT 6.21

----

So yeah while there are better cpus out there, much better cpus... yet this is $99. Combine with a $50 motherboard (better ones are $70 to $75), ram, ssd, and os license and you have a nice normal computer that is fast but not necessarily extremely fast.

Last edited:

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
Looking at the stats. The Vega VPU crushes the Intel HD 630 so thats a win as well.

Over time the price of this CPU will drop. AMD is slow to change Sockets so there is future proofing as well when going this direction.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
65 watt TDP and includes a GPU that can play modern action games at 720p, low-spec indies and older games at 1080p. I have no use for one, but it's a good deal for the price.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
A couple of you mentioned that you wish Microcenter had a good deal on this. For what it's worth, they have the similar Ryzen 3 1200 on sale for $99 plus $30 off a compatible motherboard. The base speed is 3.1GHz but it's overclockable, which puts the Summit Ridge CPU in the same performance range as the 2200G. It's not an APU though, so you would need a separate graphics card. My nephew was planning to use a separate video card from the start, so he is very excited with his new purchase. We just wish the memory had been less expensive.

One thing we learned is that the Windows 7 installation disc does not support USB on a Ryzen motherboard, so we had to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard during installation. There's a utility that lets you slipstream the USB driver into the Windows 7 installation package, but we didn't bother with it.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
One thing we learned is that the Windows 7 installation disc does not support USB on a Ryzen motherboard, so we had to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard during installation. There's a utility that lets you slipstream the USB driver into the Windows 7 installation package, but we didn't bother with it.

Just a reminder that windows 7 will stop getting security updates in less than 2 years on January 14, 2020 (at least promised security updates, where Microsoft is spending resources on windows 7 and so on...perhaps if we have a really big flaw with 7 Microsoft will fix some of the big flaws after Jan 2020, but in reality Jan 2020 is a big flashing date in the future for a lot of people)

It just seems so foreign to me to want to install an operating system today, when you are not going to get security updates in 2 years and thus if you care about security you will be doing a new operating system install in less than 2 years.

Windows 7 is a great operating system, and it is perfectly okay installing windows 7 on a new machine, but if it was me (and this may be my temperament) I would start investigating other operating systems besides windows 7 today instead of waiting to the last moment. And dealing with the hassles of USB drivers in order to install the OS and thus you must use a PS/2 Mouse ruin the "automaticity" of procrastination at least with me.

Now Windows 8.1 extended support ends January 10, 2023, aka 4 years 10 months and something days.

Feel free to disregard my advice for I am only talking about my personal stuff. I was just reminded in the last week that Windows 7 has less than 2 years of updated and that knowledge caused a little shock and left an impression with me... Like seriously, that is kind of a big deal for some people (not most people.)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
[snip] It just seems so foreign to me to want to install an operating system today, when you are not going to get security updates in 2 years and thus if you care about security you will be doing a new operating system install in less than 2 years.[/snip]

I think we were originally given earlier dates for end of life support and they were subsequently changed, but your point is well taken, and I appreciate the heads up. However, you're not a 13 year old boy who spent his Christmas money on his own computer and didn't have enough to buy an updated copy of Windows. :) He has the computer bug and I doubt he'll even have the same computer in two years. (He likes to take them apart and I'm trying to teach him how to put them together.) I won't even mention security... Different people, different needs. :)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Not really sure how you can come to that conclusion without a use case given that's a rather sizable price difference.

Well, 69 bucks is not much... to me anyway... but here is what you get for that 69 bucks...

Twice the thread count...Can do more

Faster base Freq
Faster Turbo Freq

All at the same wattage of the 2200G

The best part ... is the graphics is a lot better since it has more Streaming processors and the base GPU is boosted as well.

The real reason to buy one of these APU's is because of the built in GPU. Might as well get the fastest GPU you can.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Well, 69 bucks is not much... to me anyway... but here is what you get for that 69 bucks...

Twice the thread count...Can do more

Faster base Freq
Faster Turbo Freq

All at the same wattage of the 2200G

The best part ... is the graphics is a lot better since it has more Streaming processors and the base GPU is boosted as well.

The real reason to buy one of these APU's is because of the built in GPU. Might as well get the fastest GPU you can.

That's a 70% cost increase. The 2200G is more than ample for a basic browsing/HTPC. It's only a 100mhz base clock, 200mhz turbo increase. A 70% increase for hyperthreading and 200mhz doesn't exactly sound like a good deal for the average user to me.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I think we were originally given earlier dates for end of life support and they were subsequently changed, but your point is well taken, and I appreciate the heads up. However, you're not a 13 year old boy who spent his Christmas money on his own computer and didn't have enough to buy an updated copy of Windows. :) He has the computer bug and I doubt he'll even have the same computer in two years. (He likes to take them apart and I'm trying to teach him how to put them together.) I won't even mention security... Different people, different needs. :)

I'm running win7 on my Ryzen system and besides the install problem, you will need to DL and install wufuc so you can get updates. Other than that, it runs flawlessly. I'm still planning to install a 2nd SSD to put win10 on but I need win7 for media center and my TV tuners. win10 has no good media center alternatives that I like.

Gilby

May 12, 2001
That's a 70% cost increase. The 2200G is more than ample for a basic browsing/HTPC. It's only a 100mhz base clock, 200mhz turbo increase. A 70% increase for hyperthreading and 200mhz doesn't exactly sound like a good deal for the average user to me.

It should be fine for more than basic browsing. My current HTPC has a A6-6400k and it does quite a bit of gaming in addition to the browsing and media use. It's not great, but it handles older and indie games just fine, and it's good enough for my son to play ARK (at rather poor framerates.) The 2200G is a big upgrade from that if reviews are to be believed.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
damn, doesn't anyone read anandtech reviews around here?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/2

for, 2 to 3 X the performance in Frame Rates over intel, that alone should tell you to get the 2400... Tho, it's not just Anandtech that is posting these results, it's all over youtube as well.

The 2400 has basically the same performance as a 1030...

You can buy a 1030 evga for about 80~100 bucks on amazon.

Unless you fell like buying a 2200 and shelling out another 100 bucks for a 1030... then... What the heck, It's your money!

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Don't know, but it doesn't appear that you read them.

The 2200g was very close to the 2400g in that review, possibly close enough to not justify the 70% price premium.

You are off your meds again? Best to re-read the entire article and take notes this time! LOL!

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Stop with the insults. This is not OT.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director