ambassador chris stevens, gun running to syria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I would imagine that the U.S. is not dumb enough to have a well known and easily identifiable person doing that job. That is the kind of stuff non-cover CIA or Green Beret types are brought into the country for.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I would imagine that the U.S. is not dumb enough to have a well known and easily identifiable person doing that job. That is the kind of stuff non-cover CIA or Green Beret types are brought into the country for.
I dunno, we supposedly had an ambassador's wife as a covert CIA operative, so the "Nobody will believe we're THAT stupid" reasoning seems to be alive and well in American government.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
seriously why the fuck did we go into Libya? Oh that's right a Dem was pimping the war cry so there was little to no protest. Fucking nonsense, great we armed a bunch of AQ affiliated assholes which were then funneling arms into another conflict which now might be tied to AQ? lols @ the West for being so involved in other peoples business and having NO CLUE what is really going on. They'll just keep killing people until the "problem is solved" and if that doesn't work, they'll throw money at it hoping it goes away. Fuck we're screwed.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
seriously why the fuck did we go into Libya? Oh that's right a Dem was pimping the war cry so there was little to no protest. Fucking nonsense, great we armed a bunch of AQ affiliated assholes which were then funneling arms into another conflict which now might be tied to AQ? lols @ the West for being so involved in other peoples business and having NO CLUE what is really going on. They'll just keep killing people until the "problem is solved" and if that doesn't work, they'll throw money at it hoping it goes away. Fuck we're screwed.
For whatever reason, France and Great Britain required it. France we could (and probably should) tell to ah heck off, but we owe Great Britain. If we expect them to participate in our military adventures, we have to be willing to participate in theirs as well.

We've definitely helped create another Islamist terrorist state, but in Obama's defense Qadaffi was also a state sponsor of terrorism until quite recently, and no doubt would have been again once he was convinced his neck wasn't next on the block. It's not like Egypt where a state moves from ally to terrorist, more like terrorist in temporary abeyance to terrorist mostly in temporary abeyance.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
BFD is the only reaction I have, where does this notion come from that the US envoy to Libya should believe that the nation of Libya, just reforming into a new nation after a long and bloody civil war, should suddenly exist alone when Libya, past and present is part of the much larger mid-east.

Which makes it, in my mind, the job of ANY US envoy, to also keep abreast of larger regional issues effecting his or her's mission to only one country. Which again, in my mind would make it no sin for Ambassador Stevens to meet with Syrians supporting Assad, meet with Turks, meet with Israel representatives, and others so he can better understand regional dynamics.

As I can also point out, When Booth Assassinated Abe Lincoln, we can only somewhat argue, that Lincoln lived long enough to be credited winning and for ending the US civil war. When in fact that was not totally true, as various Southern malcontents like Quantrell raiders kept up the fight for years longer.

As that better explains why Stevens got surprise attacked, as hard core Libyan's on the losing side still had the remaining strength to kill Steven's, but lost all Libyan credibility thereafter. As the far larger electorate of Libya elected a pro-Western technocrat to lead them, in the same way the assassination of Abe Lincoln did not constitute a victory for Booth or other Southern US civil war malcontents.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

hmm, as I recall, Obama got quite a lot of criticism from the right for his "limited" support of the rebel forces. Basically we provided some air support and weapons, but that was about it. He was criticized as being a "follower" because France and the UK had to take an active role in what was happening in their backyard across the Mediterranean and wanted us to do more.

If my memory is failing, feel free to correct me. In the end, I think it's very "pie in the sky" to assume that we could have possibly inserted some kind of Western democracy into the country under any circumstances.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
For whatever reason, France and Great Britain required it. France we could (and probably should) tell to ah heck off, but we owe Great Britain. If we expect them to participate in our military adventures, we have to be willing to participate in theirs as well.

We've definitely helped create another Islamist terrorist state, but in Obama's defense Qadaffi was also a state sponsor of terrorism until quite recently, and no doubt would have been again once he was convinced his neck wasn't next on the block. It's not like Egypt where a state moves from ally to terrorist, more like terrorist in temporary abeyance to terrorist mostly in temporary abeyance.

We don't owe anyone anything. Definitely not backing them in an act of aggression. They wouldn't back us when we wrongly asked for it, we shouldn't have backed them when they wrongly asked for it. The US Government is a travesty to humanity. The Great Experiment is falling down all around us because humans are simply not ready to accept their mortality and release the concept of "faith".

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
We don't owe anyone anything. Definitely not backing them in an act of aggression. They wouldn't back us when we wrongly asked for it, we shouldn't have backed them when they wrongly asked for it. The US Government is a travesty to humanity. The Great Experiment is falling down all around us because humans are simply not ready to accept their mortality and release the concept of "faith".
Great Britain DID back us when we asked it, in Iraq as well as in Afghanistan. Beyond that, there's something to be said for democracy, freedom and self-determination even if we dislike the resulting society. At least this way if we have to destroy them, it will be due to the actions of leaders they've freely selected.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yes, Republicans were for military intervention in Libya before they were against it:

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2011/10/21/350170/gop-attack-libya-over-quicker/?mobile=nc

"Mccain told the Today Show:

The fact is that we could have ended this conflict a lot earlier if we had used the full weight of U.S. air power instead of leading from behind and we wouldn’t have the 30,000 who are wounded and hundreds, if not thousands, who are killed.

Rubio told Fox News:

We have a lot of people dead and a lot of young men who, instead of entering the workforce and helping rebuild Libya, have to go into rehab and recovery for their war wounds. A lot of this could have been avoided had we gotten involved early and decisively.

And Graham told Fox News:

If we could have kept American air power in the fight it would have been over quicker. Sixty-thousand Libyans have been wounded, 3,000 maimed, 25,000 killed."

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yes, Republicans were for military intervention in Libya before they were against it:

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2011/10/21/350170/gop-attack-libya-over-quicker/?mobile=nc

"Mccain told the Today Show:

The fact is that we could have ended this conflict a lot earlier if we had used the full weight of U.S. air power instead of leading from behind and we wouldn’t have the 30,000 who are wounded and hundreds, if not thousands, who are killed.

Rubio told Fox News:

We have a lot of people dead and a lot of young men who, instead of entering the workforce and helping rebuild Libya, have to go into rehab and recovery for their war wounds. A lot of this could have been avoided had we gotten involved early and decisively.

And Graham told Fox News:

If we could have kept American air power in the fight it would have been over quicker. Sixty-thousand Libyans have been wounded, 3,000 maimed, 25,000 killed."
Obama got flack for entering Libya at all, and for not entering sooner.

It's just politics, don't mean nothin'.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Great Britain DID back us when we asked it, in Iraq as well as in Afghanistan. Beyond that, there's something to be said for democracy, freedom and self-determination even if we dislike the resulting society. At least this way if we have to destroy them, it will be due to the actions of leaders they've freely selected.

That doesn't mean we owe them shit or that we are in the right to back them up. I did mention that the French didn't back us up, though I probably should have spread those sentences out a bit more. I really don't care if the British feel like they were owed one and if we're going to go by "owing" one then Ghaddaffi should have got a pass because "we owed him one". For the last few years of him helping the West.

Republicans were for, then against, then for, then against, then for but they wanted to act earlier etc etc. They're fucking retards too. Libya should have been a "well we'll see what happens when the dust settles" type of thing, not a "humanitarian mission" so humanitarian we killed a bunch of people!

Status
Not open for further replies.