Amazon's weird pricing strategy on clothing

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
I bought two IZOD Interlock Polos in Fairy Tale (the second one to have as an extra), and each time after I ordered, for that specific color only, Amazon dropped the price by $5. This is a newly released product, so I don't think there have been many buyers for this product yet.

It seems that counterintuitively, Amazon gives the lowest prices to the best selling colors. I noticed that with the Advantage Polo, the five basic colors (Real Red, Blue Revival, Peacoat, White, and Black) almost always sell at a discount, and I expect those colors to be the strongest sellers since those colors are available year-round and have the most reviews on Amazon.

So, why would Amazon give the lowest prices to the best selling colors? Is this why Amazon is so successful?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Might just be you, and they're trying to get you to buy more stuff. Amazon customizes prices to the individual. I don't understand the variables. That's above my pay grade.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I have no idea, maybe something to do with supply and demand, but I just want to say that your obsession with the color pink is inspiring.

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
I have no idea, maybe something to do with supply and demand, but I just want to say that your obsession with the color pink is inspiring.

By traditional supply and demand logic, it would be the slow selling colors that would be discounted. However, it seems like it is the best sellers that are discounted, and it's not just the pink that are discounted. The five basic colors for the Advantage Polo usually sell for less money than most of the seasonal colors, and these are probably the best selling colors since they are retained year-round and have the most reviews on Amazon. The Interlock Polo was just released and after my two purchases of it in Fairy Tale, the price was dropped by $10.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Amazon customizes prices to the individual. I don't understand the variables.

I've heard this in the past, but then how would a site like camelcamelcamel be able to capture pricing history as accurately as it does? It would show the same price there for everyone.

As for price drops, that's why I'm glad I have credit card price protection for 60 days.

Pink Jazz

Jan 30, 2016
As far as I know, Amazon has not used personalized pricing since 2000 (they came under fire for it for it being discriminatory, favoring new customers over existing ones).

I actually read somewhere that Amazon applies a similar pricing logic to books, giving significant discounts off list price to bestseller books, while providing no discounts for niche books. It was a report comparing Amazon's book pricing strategy to Apple's music pricing strategy, where Apple takes the complete opposite approach by pricing hit songs at a premium and obscure songs at a discount.

Nov 8, 2012
I find Amazon's clothing prices to be overall laughable. I'll stick to retailers that have experience there... Target, Kohls, Brooks Brothers, etc....

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Volume? If you sell 3 of Turd brown shirts a year, you will have to sell at a higher price since they probably do not stock and need to place an order for it. The popular colors sell by the boat load so they probably buy large quantities and sell at smaller markups since they make it up in volume.

Reactions: DigDog