Amazon's LOTR Rings of Power

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Been excited to hear more about this and the social media embargo lifted from those in the media who were able to watch the first two episodes. Impressions seem to be very very positive, and not just for the cinematic world it creates but also for the characters and plot development.

Definitely staying calmly optimistic for this.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
1. nerds will be furious because the show does the usual woke/diversity shlock
2. could still be good? not impossible, buit i dont have high hopes.
3. not as interesting a story as LOTR
AFAIK this series is based on a fraction of the silmarillion. Now, i TRIED to read the silmarillion, but couldn't. It's just not structured in a way that makes for pleasant reading, instead of having a story thread, it's got a bunch of scenes, each of which used brand new characters.

4. that link is meaningless. Seriously, you should know better. Those are just shills, every movie has them, even the good ones. Wait until an actual reviewer gets his hands on it, idk, Critical Drinker, Yourmoviessuck, RLM, something like that.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
1. nerds will be furious because the show does the usual woke/diversity shlock
2. could still be good? not impossible, buit i dont have high hopes.
3. not as interesting a story as LOTR
AFAIK this series is based on a fraction of the silmarillion. Now, i TRIED to read the silmarillion, but couldn't. It's just not structured in a way that makes for pleasant reading, instead of having a story thread, it's got a bunch of scenes, each of which used brand new characters.

4. that link is meaningless. Seriously, you should know better. Those are just shills, every movie has them, even the good ones. Wait until an actual reviewer gets his hands on it, idk, Critical Drinker, Yourmoviessuck, RLM, something like that.
I think they also had rights to the appendices of LotR, which has a bit going on.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
And FYI a reminder to all: :)

WATCH THE "SPOILERS" ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS IS RELEASED PLEASE !!!!

Especially be thoughtful about the potential for CONTEXTUAL spoilers! (ie: accidently divulging that a character is alive at the end of an episode)

These are my friend I go to movies with's absolute favorite! :rolleyes:

Thank you from the bottom of my cold, hard little troll-heart! ;)

Reactions: Artorias

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
This may be the second thing I watch on Amazon. Eddie Murphy was the first.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They are releasing two episodes at once so you'll have a bit more to judge with. After the premiere it's one episode a week

If the first episode sucks, I probably won't watch the second...but I have high hopes for this series.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
And FYI a reminder to all: :)

WATCH THE "SPOILERS" ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS IS RELEASED PLEASE !!!!

Especially be thoughtful about the potential for CONTEXTUAL spoilers! (ie: accidently divulging that a character is alive at the end of an episode)

These are my friend I go to movies with's absolute favorite! :rolleyes:

Thank you from the bottom of my cold, hard little troll-heart! ;)
That Sauron guy turns out to be a bit of a jerk.

• Haha

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If we don't get some sexy dwarf ladies with beards out of this show or what embracer group does with LOTR movies and whatever else they make I will be seriously disappointed.

• Love

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
fizdqesihmj81.jpg

No pointy-elbows in sight! :p

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'll likely end up watching it because really, why not, but if this is anything like so many other "release 2-3 episodes then one a week" style shows then the first handful of episodes will be solid with all of the budget and most of the plot hooks built in, then we'll get 5-6 episodes of tedious low budget melodramatic garbage that does nothing to advance the plot, then we'll have a banger of a final episode that hooks viewers in for a second season that may or may not ever come (although this being LOTR I figure we'll get at least 3 seasons).

I really, really, dislike the format of modern TV seasons.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'll likely end up watching it because really, why not, but if this is anything like so many other "release 2-3 episodes then one a week" style shows then the first handful of episodes will be solid with all of the budget and most of the plot hooks built in, then we'll get 5-6 episodes of tedious low budget melodramatic garbage that does nothing to advance the plot, then we'll have a banger of a final episode that hooks viewers in for a second season that may or may not ever come (although this being LOTR I figure we'll get at least 3 seasons).

I really, really, dislike the format of modern TV seasons.

Sounds like a critique of "Wheel of Time" lol.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dope final episode. Got me twice, Sixth Sense-style!

Also, the colors are really amazing on this show. Makes my non-HDR TV set look HDR!

Reactions: igor_kavinski

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I thought it was absolute dogsh!t. Not just because it was a woke/virtual signaling parade, but I thought it was just bad in general. The worst was the writing, dialog, and characters, but even the camera work looked weird (what's with all the Dutch Angles? it looks like it was shot by an amateur filmmaker because "they look cool"). Tolkien would be rolling over in his grave if he could see it.

Watch that pile of feces and then immediately watch some of Jackson's trilogy, and contrast them. It's a night and day difference.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I thought it was absolute dogsh!t. Not just because it was a woke/virtual signaling parade, but I thought it was just bad in general. The worst was the writing, dialog, and characters, but even the camera work looked weird (what's with all the Dutch Angles? it looks like it was shot by an amateur filmmaker because "they look cool"). Tolkien would be rolling over in his grave if he could see it.

Watch that pile of feces and then immediately watch some of Jackson's trilogy, and contrast them. It's a night and day difference.
That's your problem. You can't compare this to the Jackson's trilogy. Jackson had a huge budget! I don't know the numbers for rings of power, but each movie in Jackson's trilogy had a budget over 90 million.
I can see your view on the writing, dialog and characters, but I don't agree with it. From the reviews I read, very few agree with you.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's your problem. You can't compare this to the Jackson's trilogy. Jackson had a huge budget! I don't know the numbers for rings of power, but each movie in Jackson's trilogy had a budget over 90 million.
I can see your view on the writing, dialog and characters, but I don't agree with it. From the reviews I read, very few agree with you.

They spent $58.1 million per episode on Rings of Power:

"And if we add in the $250 million it cost Amazon to buy the rights to Lord of the Rings, it’s actually $89.4 million per episode."

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Really?!? I'll just see my way out then.:p

It's not about money spent, it's about the quality of the story. A lot of these companies are trying to appeal to both kids & adults, as well as an international audience, so things get kind of watered-down. Like, I loved The Mandalorian (yay for Baby Yoda!), but let's be honest: it was boring. Book of Fett? SUPER boring! There are storytelling mechanics like "saving the cat", attention-grabbing pacing, etc. that make stories good by using film theory, that are instead all being carefully formulated to be balanced to appeal to the broadest market possible in as many language as possible while avoiding any backlash from offending countries like China. So then instead of an engaging show with a clear voice, you end up with a "design by committee" product.

1671114091798.png

• Love

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It's not about money spent, it's about the quality of the story. A lot of these companies are trying to appeal to both kids & adults, as well as an international audience, so things get kind of watered-down. Like, I loved The Mandalorian (yay for Baby Yoda!), but let's be honest: it was boring. Book of Fett? SUPER boring! There are storytelling mechanics like "saving the cat", attention-grabbing pacing, etc. that make stories good by using film theory, that are instead all being carefully formulated to be balanced to appeal to the broadest market possible in as many language as possible while avoiding any backlash from offending countries like China. So then instead of an engaging show with a clear voice, you end up with a "design by committee" product.

View attachment 72929
I loved the Mandalorian, and wasn't bored at all. Book of Fett was a different story though. Fett was very slow, but not enough that I won't watch the next season. I liked Andor though. Wasn't bored at all.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Anybody who's feelings were hurt because rings of power is supposedly such a woke show are freaking idiots, and snowflakes.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Wat? Jackson's Return of the King had the most openly gay pair of characters this side of Brokeback Mountain. Frodo, Sam, go bang already and get back to the plot!

• Haha

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Anybody who's feelings were hurt because rings of power is supposedly such a woke show are freaking idiots, and snowflakes.
Yup when one prefixes it’s not about the woke, you know it’s why they didn’t like the show. No different from I’m not antivax, but their post down to a tee is their playbook.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The show is unwatchable. Horrendous writing, poor dialogue, terrible pacing, and very unlikable characters. Galadriel is just an insufferable c unt.

This show had me cheering for the orcs, honestly Adar was the only good thing about the show, he actually brought some presence to an otherwise abysmal interpretation of LOTR.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The show is unwatchable. Horrendous writing, poor dialogue, terrible pacing, and very unlikable characters. Galadriel is just an insufferable c unt.

This show had me cheering for the orcs, honestly Adar was the only good thing about the show, he actually brought some presence to an otherwise abysmal interpretation of LOTR.

I didn't hate it the way you do but IMO the far from perfect itself "Wheel of Time" series blew the living $hit out of it.

Speaking of Adar did you hear the role has been recast for season 2?

‘Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ Recasts Adar With Sam Hazeldine (deadline.com)

• Wow