Amazon to open DRM-free online music store

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
If it's true, that's great news. Competition benefits all consumers. I wonder what the bit rate would be, though? While Lossless would be ideal, it's not practical from storage and download speed viewpoints.

256KB/s bitrate would be the minimum I'd purchase for.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Man I hope they offer this in NZ, I'm currently paying around $0.99 USD for DRM'd tracks at the moment.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Provided the encoding is done at 190kbps or better, I'll gladly pay $.99 to get a good product not infested with crappy DRM restrictions.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
If true, it's a step in the right direction. However, they should lower the price to compete with allofmp3.com.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Mallow
This sounds too good to be true, I'm skeptical.

Me too, especially because Sony will apparently be handling the delivery of the files. Each one unzips itself on your computer, as a self-extracting executable.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: 6000SUX

Me too, especially because Sony will apparently be handling the delivery of the files. Each one unzips itself on your computer, as a self-extracting executable.

If sony has any part in it I dont trust it one bit. I would imagine there is something that will prevent me from putting this on my iPod and my computer or burning it to a CD.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
If true, it's a step in the right direction. However, they should lower the price to compete with allofmp3.com.
Why would they compete with a piracy site?

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
Originally posted by: 6000SUX

If sony has any part in it I dont trust it one bit. I would imagine there is something that will prevent me from putting this on my iPod and my computer or burning it to a CD.

Sorry, I was joking.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004

Hell, why not go the whole hog and lower prices to compete with Torrentspy?

You're officially retarded. They couldn't possibly compete with allofmp3.com because money from that site doesn't go to the artists. Anyone who buys music from allofmp3.com is a full fledged moron and none of your dumb excuses will ever change my mind about that. Piracy is one thing but actually paying someone money for pirate music is so far up the idiot scale it's mind blowing.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant

Hell, why not go the whole hog and lower prices to compete with Torrentspy?

You're officially retarded. They couldn't possibly compete with allofmp3.com because money from that site doesn't go to the artists. Anyone who buys music from allofmp3.com is a full fledged moron and none of your dumb excuses will ever change my mind about that. Piracy is one thing but actually paying someone money for pirate music is so far up the idiot scale it's mind blowing.

Amen. The 100% undeniable sign that a person is a complete and utter moron is that they mention allofmp3.com as a place to use. If you're going to buy legit music, great, if you're going to steal it, then steal it. Paying allofmp3.com for the privilege of stealing music makes you tied for 1st place in the "Biggest lameass that ever lived" contest.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sure if it's lossless. if not, i'll keep using allofmp3 for stuff i can't find on newsgroups or torrents.