Amazon throws up a pay to play wall for AAA games?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
This seems like a pretty dumb move, with all the other places you can get the same AAA game. Gamestop must be really happy about this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...g_certain_AAA_games_to_nonPrime_customers.php

Retail giant Amazon is no longer selling certain high-profile video games to customers who aren’t paying Amazon Prime members.

As picked up by VideoGamer, a number of notable releases, such as the PS4 versions of GTA V and FIFA 16, currently can't be purchased directly from Amazon without Prime.

Amazon has a history of temporariliy or permanently preventing non-Prime members from buying certain items, though this latest spate is notable both because of the high profile of these games and the fact that different games are being blocked in the U.K. vs. the U.S.

For now, non-Prime members attempting to buy affected titles will be informed their "item is reserved for Prime members" before being told to either try the $100/year subscription service, or purchase the game from a third-party seller.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Weird. I have to assume this is some sort of dumb contract issue. I mean battlefield hardline? WTF? The only way that makes sense as an exclusive is some strangeness with a distribution contract.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
This makes zero sense. All they have is downside, in lost sales.

Typical gamer, looking for game: "I have to have Prime to order from Amazon? Okay, I'll just go to Gamestop or BestBuy or whatever and buy there instead."

Not to mention, probably price match to Amazon price also. Really stupid move, Amazon.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Guarantee they start selling cheaper than other stores. Probably $5-6 bucks but you can guarantee there is a strategy behind this.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Guarantee they start selling cheaper than other stores. Probably $5-6 bucks but you can guarantee there is a strategy behind this.

then people will pricematch amazon to resellers who actually want to sell you something without needing some stupid membership.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It's just another volley in transitioning Amazon to a subscribers only club. If you don't have Prime you're a plebeian in their eyes.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Considering most things are cheaper than Amazon these days with or w/o shipping...no worries here. You aren't saving money if you're spending money to be able to purchase. Keep kidding yourselves.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
There's plenty of places that offer free 2 day shipping and cost cheaper than Amazon. The only time you really want to buy from them is when they misprice something, hah.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
If you look into the shady side of amazon you'll see it's a pretty shitty company in general

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
So now you have to pay a premium for the privilege of paying a premium for overpriced games...

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Besides buying used, not really seeing anyone else with better prices than Amazon.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Besides buying used, not really seeing anyone else with better prices than Amazon.
If you're just getting digital downloads (where they just send you a key), there are dozens of far cheaper places than Amazon. You can get $60 games for $30-45 the day of release. I buy all my games for <5 a few months after they come out.

I've never really liked Amazon as a company. Always despised how they operated at a loss just to move product. Always knew they would jack up prices once they drive all their competitors out of business. This is just the start. I'm sure everything will require Prime eventually. I've bought a few books over the years from them based on price alone. But if Amazon refuses to sell to me because I'm not a member, I refuse to buy. Goodbye forever, Amazon. Just another Sam's Club/Walmart.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I was mainly thinking of console games which I get as physical copies. Forgot this was in the PC section so got my wires crossed. If I do buy for the PC, I typically looks for deals and have only purchased 1-2 games from Amazon ever.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The margins on games is probably shit. So they said fuck it get in or gtfo.