Amazon Prime 2-day shipping scam

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
OK, I've been an Amazon Prime user for about a year and sometimes the free 2-day shipping actually works out to 2 days but a lot of time it's more like 3 days or more. I placed a large order yesterday (1/21) just about noon time and all but one of the ten items was listed as Prime and in stock, but late that night only a couple of the items shows up as having been shipped with Monday (2 days) as the expected arrival date. Now, more than a day later, half of the items still do not show as having shipped and continue to say "Preparing Shipment".

A couple of the items indicate Tuesday delivery making them 3-days not 2, and another item indicates Wednesday delivery making that 4-days not 2.

Now the thing is, Amazon has many independent merchants that sell through Amazon and I have to wonder how the annual Prime membership fees cover the free 2-day shipping. That is, Amazon receives about $100/year from each member that subscribes to Prime but how does that cover the shipping charges? Do the independent merchants eat the cost for the 2-day shipping and Amazon pockets the whole deal or does Amazon reimburse the merchant some portion of the cost delta?

Whatever the breakdown is for dolling out the Prime fees for 2-day shipping it's pretty clear the merchants are gaming the system. I suspect that they are using 3-day shipping and then covering that up by being deliberately late at reporting an item has shipped. I think that most of the items I ordered yesterday have already shipped but by pretending that some are still "preparing to ship" they can get away with 3-day shipping. Having ordered early enough on the 21st to expect 2-day shipments to arrive on Monday, 1/25 and by reporting the item as actually shipping on 1/22 they can pretend they used 2-day even though I don't see the items until Tuesday, 1/26.

I've been noticing this a lot but this particular order with 10 items has made this pattern all to obvious. I think I'm going to give Amazon a call on this.

Brian

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
You sure this isn't a case of something not being Prime eligible?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah, I've noticed that weekends tend to goof up their shipping schedule. If I order before noon Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, they are pretty good about it, but after that it depends. I've gotten both Saturday & Sunday deliveries from Amazon, but I've also had orders that were pushed out to Monday or Tuesday.

One thing to note is that (1) the 'preparing for shipment' message may not be completely up-to-date, and (2) as long as it arrives when it said it would at checkout, you're fine. Otherwise I'd give Amazon a call if they are consistently late. Sometimes my stuff doesn't say it shipped out until the day before, technically making it a one-day delivery, but it still shows up as promised.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Easy solution that won't get your item faster, but will make you hopefully feel better. I had to do this just this morning after a 4 cup coffee maker didn't arrive yesterday by 8 pm. I checked online at 9:30 and saw that it had been changed to arrive sometime between 1-21 and 1-24 even though I ordered it 2 day through prime with the delivery date being yesterday.

I opened a customer chat, explained my frustration, and was credited a free month of prime. Sometimes I'll ask for a free month, sometimes a 10 dollar credit, they have no problem giving either when they miss the deadline that starts when you finish the checkout process.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Ordered my items last night at 10PM with the 2 day-shipping. Checked my order this morning, estimate deliver for Tuesday.

Maybe the storm on the snow east coast?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If available, Saturday or Sunday delivery will be specified on the product page and/or during checkout. Otherwise, our shipping methods apply to business days only, not weekends or holidays.

If you order on Friday, your two days starts when the item actually ships...and the weekend days do NOT count toward the "two days shipping." (even though the item MAY be in transit during those days)

I've also had Prime shipping take more than two days...and I've often wondered if it was because they were temporarily out of stock.

Oct 20, 2005
Don't forget that there is a difference between time from when you ordered and received, vs shipped and received.

Just because you ordered on 1/21 doesn't mean you will get an item 2 days later. It's 2 days later from when it was SHIPPED. It could take additional days from when you ordered for it actually ship, which is called "processing".

Now granted, Amazon is a huge company so process time should be very minimal. But my point stands that far too many people think that once you click that order button, that shipping begins at that point. It doesn't.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Easy solution that won't get your item faster, but will make you hopefully feel better. I had to do this just this morning after a 4 cup coffee maker didn't arrive yesterday by 8 pm. I checked online at 9:30 and saw that it had been changed to arrive sometime between 1-21 and 1-24 even though I ordered it 2 day through prime with the delivery date being yesterday.

I opened a customer chat, explained my frustration, and was credited a free month of prime. Sometimes I'll ask for a free month, sometimes a 10 dollar credit, they have no problem giving either when they miss the deadline that starts when you finish the checkout process.

I've actually received quite a bit of free months and credits from shipping problems during Xmas.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Don't forget that there is a difference between time from when you ordered and received, vs shipped and received.

Just because you ordered on 1/21 doesn't mean you will get an item 2 days later. It's 2 days later from when it was SHIPPED. It could take additional days from when you ordered for it actually ship, which is called "processing".

Now granted, Amazon is a huge company so process time should be very minimal. But my point stands that far too many people think that once you click that order button, that shipping begins at that point. It doesn't.

If its listed as in stock and their delivery estimate on the page is two days away, I think its reasonable to expect it to be there by that date. And it usually is, but it seems like since maybe November of last year those times arent as accurate. Still pretty accurate, like 7 or 8 out of 10 packages, but just not as good as it used to be.

Just from personal experience, I notice the times it doesnt arrive on time is when its UPS. When its dropped shipped to USPS or Ontrac its always on time. For whatever reason, the package will be out for delivery on the scheduled day, and just not arrive for another day, sometimes 2 days.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Wow, I should have done that! I had a couple prime eligible shipments take 4-5 days in mid-December.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Reminds me of my experience with Prime back in 2010 or so.
- 2-day shipping wasn't 2-day if I ordered at a certain time of the week.
- Regular Free super saver shipping arrived quick enough for me.
- I don't order from Amazon directly all that often.
- There was scant Instant video worth watching - maybe 2 series and 2 movies.​
So really I don't know what advantage I'd be paying for. I cancelled at end of trial.

ALSO ... Amazon has, since my Prime trial, initiated sales tax and boosted the Prime fee, further decreasing the value proposition.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
Screenshot the "Guaranteed delivery date" before placing the order. If the item arrives later than that date, chat with a rep and you'll get your prime membership extended.

I was having issues with Amazon changing my "guaranteed date" to an "estimated date" after placing the order, and confirmed with a rep that anytime this happens (so long as the item arrives after the initial promise day) to contact them for the extra month.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I have found that I get like 50% of my items by the guaranteed delivery date. It's a really bad service if you ask me - IF you are signing up for that purpose only. I don't mind getting my stuff later, but don't advertise something you aren't going to deliver.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
You sure this isn't a case of something not being Prime eligible?

No, when placing the order I made note of all the items Prime status and of the 10 items only one was not listed as Prime -- all items were listed as "In Stock".

I called Amazon and it's pretty obvious the customer service agents are well versed in the art of bull shit. The agent I talked to, Adele S., went on about it being two business days so today, Friday would be the first business day and Monday would be the second business day and then delivery on the next day, Tuesday.

I laughed when she said that and gave her an example to prove the foolishness of that by pointing out that id I ordered an item with "Next Day" shipping that it wouldn't be two day but one day. If I did an overnight order on a Monday and the order was placed before the cutoff time, that the package would be delivered on Tuesday, not Wednesday.

Brian

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
Eh, I guess it depends on how much you value Prime as a whole, since at this point it's much more than just shipping. Very rare I don't get my stuff in 2 days, I'm sure if I complained they would compensate me but it's really not that big of a deal. It does help I only pay like $50 a year because I'm a student. Even at full price that's what, $8 bucks a month? Still by far the cheapest service I pay for.

Also, last I looked into it, 3rd party merchants who are apart of Prime send their products to Amazon to be stocked. So it's still Amazon fulfilling the order, not the merchant.

Last edited:

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010

And that's the game I think they're playing. When I order from just about every other vendor if the order is placed early enough and that's usually before 4PM but sometimes a bit early or later, then it ships that day if it's in stock. Certainly, if you order at noon then you're well before the cut off time so if the item was in stock it should ship that day. When I placed the order 9 of 10 were in stock and listed as Prime so I expect the order to be sent out that day.

So, since I ordered at noon Thursday the shipment, taking two business days (Friday and Monday), means it should be delivered on Monday so Tuesday or Wednesday are longer than 2 days.

Brian

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Eh, I guess it depends on how much you value Prime as a whole, since at this point it's much more than just shipping. Very rare I don't get my stuff in 2 days, I'm sure if I complained they would compensate me but it's really not that big of a deal. It does help I only pay like $50 a year because I'm a student. Even at full price that's what, $8 bucks a month? Still by far the cheapest service I pay for.

Most often I take the cheapest shipping arrangement offered and when that's free then I'm all over it. I pay for Prime and I'm promised free 2-day shipping on items listed as Prime. Why should I pay extra for actual 2-day shipping when I've already paid for free 2-day shipping with my membership?

Brian

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
ONCE in all my years of Prime ordering (and it's been a billion orders) has 2-day failed me.
NEVER have I had an issue with customer service in any shape way or form.
I have NEVER been disappointed with Amazon for any product or how it was handled.

In closing, sucks to be you.

Sooon

Oct 3, 2014
For third party sellers that are Prime eligible, their products are already stored in Amazon's warehouse and orders are fulfilled/shipped by Amazon. So they're not eating any shipping costs.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hurr... durr... maybe it has something to do with planes and transportation being practically shut down on the east coast causing cascading effects elsewhere? Almost every time something like a holiday or a storm or whatever delayed shipments we get these threads. Crybabies.

Last edited:

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
And that's the game I think they're playing. When I order from just about every other vendor if the order is placed early enough and that's usually before 4PM but sometimes a bit early or later, then it ships that day if it's in stock. Certainly, if you order at noon then you're well before the cut off time so if the item was in stock it should ship that day. When I placed the order 9 of 10 were in stock and listed as Prime so I expect the order to be sent out that day.

So, since I ordered at noon Thursday the shipment, taking two business days (Friday and Monday), means it should be delivered on Monday so Tuesday or Wednesday are longer than 2 days.

Brian

That is true. What were the 'guaranteed arrival' dates when you first placed the order? I rarely have items take longer than what they say there, though that date may be more than 2 days on occasion.

Also, have you looked at detailed tracking info from whoever shipped it to see if the problem originates with amazon or the shipping co? I've noticed a difference depending on who actually ships the item.

Some items I ordered today were in stock, prime eligible, yet will take 3 days to arrive. However this was noted when I placed the order. Guess I'll see if there are further delays.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
If I had any take longer, I never really noticed or cared. I've probably had around 50 different shipments in the past 5 years, mostly around Christmas or when I'm buying computer parts. About 10 of those orders are 1-day (which I know I've never gotten late since I only choose 1-day when I have something else coming from elsewhere or if I'm in a bind -- time when I'd remember if the package was late).

I basically have Prime for the cheap 1-day shipping if I ever need it, and I treat the 2-day shipping just as expedited so I'm not waiting a week for orders. The movies/TV now are a nice bonus and primarily what I use Amazon for at this time.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
That is true. What were the 'guaranteed arrival' dates when you first placed the order? I rarely have items take longer than what they say there, though that date may be more than 2 days on occasion.

Also, have you looked at detailed tracking info from whoever shipped it to see if the problem originates with amazon or the shipping co? I've noticed a difference depending on who actually ships the item.

Some items I ordered today were in stock, prime eligible, yet will take 3 days to arrive. However this was noted when I placed the order. Guess I'll see if there are further delays.

This. What was 'Guaranteed delivery date' given to you when you placed the order?