Amazon & other Corporations taking ownership of the Internet

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Dave Winer, widely known as the father of Blogging wrote this article 2 years ago when Amazon and other Companies starting using the Patent Office and the DMCA to carve out that they "Own" the Internet and all ideas relating to the Internet and everyone must "Pay" a toll or Fee to Amazon to use the Internet.

So much of that has come true and getting worse everyday a Lawyers for Corporations with the help of the U.S Patent Office and Congress continue to hand over the Internet to them.

DM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know Stephen King?

Mon, Jul 24, 2000; by Dave Winer.
Inspiration is never far away

Another moment of serendipity. Looking for "Where did the love go?" by Roberta Flack, I found "Where did our love go?" by the Supremes. Never heard of it. Double-click. Wow, it's an old favorite, a song I listened to in the 60s. Great stuff. "Baby baby ooh baby baby."

A couple of weeks ago, clicking on David Bowie songs, I must have also decided to download his Little Drummer Boy duet with Bing Crosby. I'm listening to it in the middle of summer in California, far away from the time of this piece. "It's a pretty thing," Bing says. So true!

The moment is made more poignant, learning that Crosby died a month after doing the song in 1977. Steven Lewis, a college biology instructor in Pennsylvania says "Some viewed the joint performance of Bing and Bowie as a symbol of the end of the inter-generational wars of the 1960s and 1970s."

That such ideas exist, and are expressed and shared is what makes the Web such a great medium. That perspective was waiting for me to click, listen and then search. It's waiting for you too. Powerful stuff.

If you know Stephen King, could you forward him this email? I'd like to get a message to him.

First a little background. Today there was an Associated Press story about King's latest book, The Plant. It's being published a chapter at a time on the Web, pay as you go, $1 per installation, on the honor system. He's taking a chance on the first two installments, if there isn't enough money from those, there won't be a third or fourth.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000724/tc/stephen_king_internet_3.html

After reading the AP story, and linking to it on my news site, www.scripting.com, I commented "It almost goes without saying that I like this a lot. It's a route-around of the first order. Nuke the middlemen, like this one.."

Then I pointed to a Wired interview with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. It's no secret, I think Bezos and others are getting away with the rape of the Internet through patents. Other developers, creative people not that different from King, feel the same way.

Asked why he sues competitors Bezos says "Patents are not intended for defensive purposes only. The intent of the system is to give innovators a window to recoup their research and development costs, 20 years from the date of filing or 17 years from the date of issue, whichever is longer."

Then I went back to the King site, to buy the first two installments, and holy guacamole, he wants me to give the money to Amazon! You can check it out for yourself.

http://www.stephenking.com/download.html

Steal from the best

So here's what I want to say to Stephen King.

Mr. King, I've read every one of your books, paid for them of course, and I would happily buy this one, especially because it could help the Internet. But it's a shame that that you took this risk on behalf of the Internet (what if it fails?) and didn't check out who you're partnering with. I can't give money to Amazon and keep a clear conscience. I want you to understand why, because I think, as an avid reader of your books, that you would care if you knew.

I'm a commercial software developer and a writer. I enjoy the privilege of free speech in my writing that I don't enjoy in my software. If Bezos has a patent on something that I need to make my software work, I'm out of luck. He owns the idea. Until recently this was *not* the way it worked in software, but the US Patent and Trademark Office started issuing patents covering very basic ideas that take little or no R&D, they're so obvious.

The Internet which you and I use was built out of an open sharing of ideas. By erecting barriers, as Amazon has, and being aggressive about it, they are milking a cash cow they didn't create.

To put it in analogous terms for writers, imagine if you couldn't write a story because Dean Koontz had already written it. What if the idea were as basic as Boy Meets Girl? That's what's going on in another creative space, software.

Writers have a better ethic, only steal from the best. We want the same ethic in software, we used to have it. Now our art is becoming the province of lawyers and profiteers like Bezos.

Bezos is especially horrific because he uses his patents as a competitive weapon. The invasion of a new kind of monster. Driven by greed, he destroys the best hope of freedom for mankind. Naive author walks into a hornet's nest. Does he tell the true story?

Dave Winer

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Dave Winer, widely known as the father of Blogging
So this is the bastard responsible for putting the idea in everyone?s head that their thoughts are so important that they just must share them with the world, because I don't know about you, but my life just wouldn't be complete without finding out that that song by Journey reminds her of her ex-boyfriend, or that she just saw Episode 2 and didn't thought it was good but a little unrealistic.

When I finally unleash my army of robots and take over the world I swear I'm going to have all the bloggers shot and then their corpses defiled.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SViscusi
So this is the bastard responsible for putting the idea in everyone?s head that their thoughts are so important that they just must share them with the world, because I don't know about you, but my life just wouldn't be complete without finding out that that song by Journey reminds her of her ex-boyfriend, or that she just saw Episode 2 and didn't thought it was good but a little unrealistic.

When I finally unleash my army of robots and take over the world I swear I'm going to have all the bloggers shot and then their corpses defiled.
Jack Handy !

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I haven't read it lately but the blog coming out of Iraq was/is one of the better info sources coming from the region. IMO.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SViscusi

You don't have to look at them or read them if you don't want to.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I believe it's only gotten worse since Winer wrote that piece. The USP&T office should have implemented an "obvious factor" test to any patent they issue -- or preferably, not issue them at all for software. Especially considering the fact that some idiots have patented an idea/concept so obvious as "buying stuff online." Ebay was sued recently for their "buy it now" feature. If we had the USP&T office allowing this crap when PCs were first starting out, we'd all be stuck using Lotus 1-2-3 and WordStar. Ugh. :|

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Whenever an era that causes a flurry of patents occurs (like electricity, autos, etc), everyone always says this.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the patent office should have been closed when they issued a patent for something as inspecific as "1-click purchasing"

though i think amazon lost that patent

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Software patents have always troubled me. They are so basic in nature. There are only so many ways you can write a good piece of code to perform certain functions, and someone who has never seen the competition's source could sit down and recreate the code from scratch simply by trying to write a functional piece of software. IMO, its the equivalent of patenting relativistic theory or some basic scientific concept. Patent a device that you create using basic scientific theory, but the theory itself is above privatization. That's the way I feel about software patents as well.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Everyone knows that since Al Gore invented the internet, it belongs to HIM!

Actually, GW think's it's his daddy's and he wants it back!

Gnurb

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2001
woah woah, when has amazon ever stated, hinted, or mused that everyone should pay a fee to them to use the internet? that's just blatantly wrong.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hy·per·bo·le (h-pûrb-l)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gnurb
woah woah, when has amazon ever stated, hinted, or mused that everyone should pay a fee to them to use the internet? that's just blatantly wrong.

The idiots at the Patent Office recently awarded a Patent to a couple fo guys here in Georgia for a "Cabinet that holds Computer Equipment that gives off heat, the cabinet with a plurity of holes and a Fan to disperse the heat."

Yep, they just issued a Patent for every PC case on the planet to these guys.
rolleye.gif

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I am going to patent the shape "round", the letter "E" , the sound of fabric rubbing against fabric, the colour "green, and "matter".

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Another moment of serendipity. Looking for "Where did the love go?" by Roberta Flack, I found "Where did our love go?" by the Supremes. Never heard of it. Double-click. Wow, it's an old favorite, a song I listened to in the 60s.
As though I need go any further...
rolleye.gif
He's taking a chance on the first two installments, if there isn't enough money from those, there won't be a third or fourth.
King is a mega-multi-millionaire with a large loyal following. He is hardly taking any 'chances'.

As with the vast majority of others, its a relatively content-free blog. Proof of this evil conspiracy by Amazon to take over the world? 'They have some patents and defend them.'

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ITS THE END OF THE WORLD! A COMPANY HAS SOME PATENTS AND DEFENDS THEM. WILL THE DEPRAVITY EVER END? FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY AAAAHHHHHRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I believe it's only gotten worse since Winer wrote that piece. The USP&T office should have implemented an "obvious factor" test to any patent they issue -- or preferably, not issue them at all for software. Especially considering the fact that some idiots have patented an idea/concept so obvious as "buying stuff online." Ebay was sued recently for their "buy it now" feature. If we had the USP&T office allowing this crap when PCs were first starting out, we'd all be stuck using Lotus 1-2-3 and WordStar. Ugh. :|

Not to drag the thread off topic but we would be a lot better off if more software was as well written as Wordstar was. I have a copy of Wordstar 6 that I still use and it runs perfectly under Windows XP. As for why I would still use it find me another text editor that does everything it does (column editing etc) with such a small footprint. The complete WS6 directory will fit on a single floppy.