Amazon Gave me $70! Should I give it back?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Situation: Bought a G15 Keyboard & G7 Lazer Mouse in an order that I placed on Amazon on Feb. 10th. The G7 mouse stopped working, so I placed an "Exchange" for the G7. We cross-shipped the items. I sent the mouse back in the mail and got my new mouse in two days. No problems right? Wrong.

The Day after I got my new mouse from Amazon, they sent me an e-mail stating: "Your return is being processed for your G15 KEYBOARD, check your bank statement in 1-2 business days for deposit." (I never set up a return for the keyboard).. I questioned this, but did nothing.

Then 2 days later, there's a deposit for $72.xx dollars in my bank account from Amazon. I emailed Amazon and said basically "Wtf?" in a nice manner. They said, they didn't know, it must have been some mistake (obviously an email that was generated, not written by a person). This responce said for me to "Click This Link" and give us permission to charge you whatever you paid", I clicked the link and it sent me to an area where I would report a problem. Nothing about "giving them permission" to charge my account..

Now I am wondering: Would anything happen if I didn't do anything and kept the money.? It's their mistake, I could have never reported this and thought nothing of it.. Ideas?

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I doubt they will notice the mistake.

But is it really worth it.... considering the Karma?

ungsunghero

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2001
I once got double credited $50 on an order from Amazon, a few years back (the item had a rebate, but the rebate form on Amazon's web site was not valid for the item I ordered).

I called Amazon, trying to be honest about the double credit. The rep basically laughed at me; he said he couldn't believe that I actually called about the extra $50. He said that he had no authority to take back the money, and told me to just keep it, or treat it like a GC and spend it at Amazon. I forgot what I bought with the money...

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Just don't spend it for a few months. If they do not contact you about it, they probably never will.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Report it to them. It's the right thing to do. Plus, they just might tell you to keep it. Either way, I don't think you will regret giving it back in the long run. If you have to rationalize keeping it, then you know it's wrong.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
F them and keep the $70. They never gave me my $100 credit for an item I sent back to them with proof of delivery.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
send them an email and print out a copy. If they don't respond back to you, then tough for them and you can keep the money with a clean conscience and no worry about getting in trouble.

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Tizyler

Maybe it's his good karma finally paying off. Did you ever consider that.

Geocentricity

Sep 13, 2006
Originally posted by: AgentJean

karma paying off: hot chick tells you explicitly she wants you in her pants

being an idiot: jumping a hot chick that is drunk, passed out on your couch, and both of you are the only ones in the house

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If you reported it to them and they gave you a link to click and that link didn't have anything pertaining to the issue, I'd take that as a sign you should just keep the money... Or send it to my paypal address if you feel bad about keeping the tainted money yourself.

Oct 19, 2000
I say stick the money in a savings account, and if they haven't tried to take it back after a couple of months, then leave it there or spend it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Geocentricity

being an idiot: jumping a hot chick that is drunk, passed out on your couch, and both of you are the only ones in the house

i ain't wearing no chick's pants!

Geocentricity

Sep 13, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Geocentricity

i ain't wearing no chick's pants!

Come on, you know you wanna go to Bally's with a pair of girly sweats and the words JUICY on your buttocks

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
If you reported it to them and they gave you a link to click and that link didn't have anything pertaining to the issue, I'd take that as a sign you should just keep the money... Or send it to my paypal address if you feel bad about keeping the tainted money yourself.

I'd make exactly one good faith effort to return the money, which you did. After that i'd put the money in savings for a few months and see if they eventually contact me.

Gagabiji

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Same thing happened with my xbox 360 and overstock. I told them it was lost in the mail (I really thought it was, and UPS also said they couldn't find the package in their tracking system) and a day later it shows up. So, I had $360 sitting in my acount, and a free 360 in my entertainment system. :D

P.S. I did tell overstock about this and it was all taken care of. I'm too nice to steal from a company like that. :(

kaymin

Jul 21, 2001
If you return it then good for you. Personally, I'd keep it and wouldnt' feel bad at all. You didn't intentionally try to scam them. It was their mistake and they should contact you, not the other way around. It's not like they'll be losing money this year, either.