Amazon digital games winter sale

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
They were beaten to the punch because Amazon put out their sale first. You don't think they intentionally started it first when Steam's sale dates were leaked? Come on, man. :p

Amazon has always started their holiday sale before Steam, even without the Steam sale dates being leaked, anyone that follows this stuff already knew pretty closely when the sales were going to start anyways, it isn't rocket science.

zangetxu

Dec 20, 2013
is it possible to get all these deals via VPN ?

there is a guy who mentioned this on another forum. so im just wondering if it is possible or not

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
is it possible to get all these deals via VPN ?

there is a guy who mentioned this on another forum. so im just wondering if it is possible or not

I don't see why not, but, unsure if the steam client would also need to use the VPN or not (that is, if the game is steamable).

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I'm also in the market for the new XCom games and haven't even bought XCom EU yet. I found this EU/EW bundle for $20 total: http://www.amazon.com/XCOM-Pack-Onli...489253&sr=1-24.

It requires Steam so I'm thinking of just jumping on it now rather than waiting for the inevitable extra discount Steam will likely be offering later in their sale. For reference, EU and EW are each listed at $20 on Steam right now, which is a 50% discount. They'd have to drop more than an additional 25% for it to be a better deal on Steam. At best, I see them matching the $20 deal. I can always wait on purchasing the games from Amazon until the games are discounted on Steam, but I thought I'd post the question here anyway.

Any thoughts on if this is likely to be the cheapest bundle of these two games this holiday sale season?

If you don't have either, you're unlikely to get a better deal for both. Although I might suggest playing through without the expansion to start, then playing again with EW. EU is a much simpler experience, mechanics-wise, and is a good stepping stone to all the mechs and gene mods.

Just swiped the XCOM collection (EU+the original games) for $10 for a friend of mine.

voodoo7817

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I noticed that the $20 EU/EW bundle does not come with the Slingshot/Elite Soldier Packs. I think the best course of action is to buy the $10 XCom collection (which does come with the Slingshot/Elite Soldier Packs) and then just wait until EW is $10 by itself, like many have mentioned in this thread. I'm guessing that will happen later in the Steam Sale and Amazon might even match it. Thanks again.

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

I noticed that the $20 EU/EW bundle does not come with the Slingshot/Elite Soldier Packs. I think the best course of action is to buy the $10 XCom collection (which does come with the Slingshot/Elite Soldier Packs) and then just wait until EW is $10 by itself, like many have mentioned in this thread. I'm guessing that will happen later in the Steam Sale and Amazon might even match it. Thanks again.

Sling Shot is worth paying extra for. Elite pack not so much, I think it's just armors and hair styles.
I'd go with the $20 pack and get sling shot separately.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Tried this last sale & it didn't work. They're now referencing billing address, not shipping address.

Really? Works for me. Im canadian & buy games all the time. Just got aliens colonial marines for 2 bucks.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
What I need to buy mp3, software and steam codes through amazon.com:
1. vpn tunnel
2. A US billing address (I've created one)
3. Then I can buy amazon gift cards and send them to myself. For the gift cards I can buy digital content. I've activated both steam, origin and adobe software titles without vpn, and they work fine here in Denmark.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Almost anything would be. I rage-quit DS 3 at the Rajani boss battle. You're locked into the area, and it's a very annoying fight even if you change the difficulty down to "casual".

You made it farther than I did. I just couldnt handle the controls. Replaying 1+2 briefly hadn't brought up fond memories like I thought it would either and thus didn't likely help my mood.

zangetxu

Dec 20, 2013
I don't see why not, but, unsure if the steam client would also need to use the VPN or not (that is, if the game is steamable).

actually you can download the games, but i am concern about payment methods actually. whether our non american CC will work or not

gw186

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Wonder how complete that is. I read somewhere else that Castlevania was going to be on sale yet it's not on that list anywhere.

There are some late additions in post #8263, one of them being...

12/25/2013 to 12/26/2013 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition [Online Game Code] - $9.99

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
There are some late additions in post #8263, one of them being...

12/25/2013 to 12/26/2013 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition [Online Game Code] - $9.99

Thanks. Found it. $9.99. No worries though, Steam had it on their Flash Sale today for $10.19, so I picked it from them.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
ACIII Deluxe is up for 14.99. I already have the non-Deluxe through UPlay, but this is the Steam DRM version. Seriously thinking about buying it again. Season Pass on UPlay is $10 right now, but it's through UPlay. I like all my games on Steam if possible. May spend the $5 extra to get the whole shoot and shebang. Talk me out of it, please.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh yeah, you have to install Origin Online.

But sadly because of that there arent many of them available on GOG or Steam.