Amazon Assistant... crapware at best?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is this just crapware/malware when boiled down? Evidently so. Well, here's what I see suddenly with no warning displayed over my desktop:

I have a pop up on my Win7 64 bit laptop wanting to install this thing. I use Pale Moon (Firefox offshoot browser).

I'm a pretty frequent Amazon customer, but I like to shop around a lot. I have a ton of stuff in my Amazon Save-for-later list. I juggle that stuff so I get free shipping when I have $49+ in my cart.

The popup looks basically like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Java Setup
Java
ORACLE
Optional offer: Amazon Assistant
-Official Amazon software
-See instant price comparisons as you shop
-Search Amazon and the web at the same time
-Get curated deals and unique offers

[checked] Install Amazon Assistant
[checked] Make Amazon Smart Search my homepage
[checked] Make Amazon Smart Search my default search

By installing Amazon Assistant, you agree to the Amazon Assistant Conditions of Use. See the Help Page for more information, including how to change your Amazon Smart Search settings.

[Cancel] [Next >]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I click Cancel, and this pops up:

Java Setup
Java
ORACLE
Are you sure you want to cancel this Java[TM] installation?

[Yes] [No]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This page says the user, even after refusing to consent to this Java installation option found that it was running on his machine! WTF.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Never saw that and I use Amazon quite often. If you are on Firefox or Palemoon you should be able to get rid of it using the Add Ons Menu ... You can then easily reset the Home Page and your Preferred Search Engine

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Since it is a browser extension you may have to remove it from each browsers addon manager.
Sounds like it's more than a browser extension if it shows up in the Programs list in Control Panel.

Would Revo Uninstaller work?

edit-
Muse, were you browsing Amazon at the time or did this just pop-up out of the blue?
Were you installing JAVA?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sounds like it's more than a browser extension if it shows up in the Programs list in Control Panel.

Would Revo Uninstaller work?

edit-
Muse, were you browsing Amazon at the time or did this just pop-up out of the blue?
Were you installing JAVA?
I wasn't installing Java at the time. I may have installed it in the not distant past, but don't remember doing so. So, yes, it seemed like it was out of the blue.

AFAIK, it's not installed on the machine. The link I supplied earlier in the thread was to a guy's page who said he refused installation but found it was installed anyway. Looking in my own control panel and in Pale Moon extensions and add-ons I don't see it.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
I found myself wanting more information, as I am thinking of installing Java for an add-in to LibreCalc. I remember that when installing Java in the past, you HAD TO unclick an optional "freebie" during the Java installation or even an update, or you got that free program installed at the same time. Last time I had to unclick permission to install McAfee antivirus. Muse must have rushed through the Java installation program, and didn't read all the fine print.

So now they are offering to install an optional Amazon Offer. Link for those curious or interested. And Muse, read the bottom, where it says "How To Remove Amazon Assistant and Amazon Web Search.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/amazon.xml

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Did not know that was bundled with Java and I have Java 8 Update 91 on both of my computers. But I always monitor install screens so I likely caught it and opted out.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I found myself wanting more information, as I am thinking of installing Java for an add-in to LibreCalc. I remember that when installing Java in the past, you HAD TO unclick an optional "freebie" during the Java installation or even an update, or you got that free program installed at the same time. Last time I had to unclick permission to install McAfee antivirus. Muse must have rushed through the Java installation program, and didn't read all the fine print.

So now they are offering to install an optional Amazon Offer. Link for those curious or interested. And Muse, read the bottom, where it says "How To Remove Amazon Assistant and Amazon Web Search.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/amazon.xml
It appears that this Amazon stuff is not installed on the machine. The only Amazon thing in the add/removes program list is Amazon Kindle, which I figure is OK... I do have a Kindle.

I don't know why the Amazon Assistant install screen was up, maybe I missed the option when updating Java. However, I don't recall updating Java on the machine. I have experience doing that and quite a few times I've unchecked the box that would have me install McAfee AV. I'm on my guard when doing installations. I'm wondering if some website I visited sneaked the Amazon Assistant installation utility onto my system, possibly Amazon itself. I visit Amazon a lot!

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
I just fount this Amazon Assistant on my computer. Interestingly, I didn't install any Java. Could this thing be used for tracking me on the internet, just like it is stated in this guide? I like shopping on Amazon, so I am confused after finding it out of nowhere.