Am I understanding the 290/290x load TDP correctly?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
A couple of the review sites have been listing 300 watts as the unofficial GDP/power usage. But that depends on how you intend to run it fan profile wise. Toms shows that the cards consume quite different amounts of power dependent on temperature and fan profile which impacts on the clock speed and hence the power consumption. So 850 should be enough based on the 300 W figure just about,

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
..specially with a quality psu.....the higher the number does not always = better....its the quality of amp and volts on the rails that counts.

Agreed, I like Corsairs Gold power supplies. I don't think it is worth the price premium for platinum but I have been happy with the Corsair PSUs in the past.

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
Agreed, I like Corsairs Gold power supplies. I don't think it is worth the price premium for platinum but I have been happy with the Corsair PSUs in the past.

Me too, I have a Corsair HX1000 right now and it's been a great PSU that I've used in my past two builds. I'm getting the AX1200i for exactly that reason, I trust their products and I'd rather err on the side of more power than too little. I'm planning to OC my cpu and 2 high end GPUs, I'm also going to run two SSDs in raid as well as a storage drive and a high end sound card.

Whoever said that more power isn't always better, I agree UNTIL you're talking about a high quality power supply. The AX1200i is an 80+ platinum and one of the most efficient PSUs available today, since you don't pull more from the wall with more available there is no reason NOT to get it as long as you can afford it. As I mentioned in my first post, I always buy PSUs with the intention of using them in at LEAST two builds. The best way to make sure I have enough power for my next build 3-4 years down the line is to figure out what I need and then go a step higher.

The OP *might* be able to use an 850 but it is far from a sure thing, and if he is looking at this level of a system now he will *definitely* need a bigger/better PSU for his next build. I'd sell the 850 now and upgrade it knowing you won't need to spend another $150 in a few years on your next build...

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
I'm getting the AX1200i for exactly that reason, I trust their products and I'd rather err on the side of more power than too little.

Platinum is a bit out of my price range at 340$ before rebates but I like the HX1050 at $220.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The OP *might* be able to use an 850 but it is far from a sure thing, and if he is looking at this level of a system now he will *definitely* need a bigger/better PSU for his next build. I'd sell the 850 now and upgrade it knowing you won't need to spend another $150 in a few years on your next build...

What do you mean "Might?" If you get a PSU that can actually put out the rated 850watts, then there is no Might. The system the OP listed will not over load the PSU. Please stop spreading this idea as there is not anything useful in it. If the OP finds 2 quality PSUs for the same price, and the only diff is higher wattage, then fine, but don't say its needed. His next build may be 2 mid range cards and it still would not need to be higher than 850.

Following the trends of wattage needed, his next build will almost certainly not need more than 850watts. The move to 20nm will also likely drive down power usage if CPUs are any indication.