am i the only one who finds machine placed calls annoying and insulting?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i don't know if you know what i'm talking about, but i've been getting a lot of calls from machines recently. the library, the video store, the phone company, telemarketers, etc. they call you with a machine, and it'll either have silence until somebody on the other end (the telemarketer) picks up, or it'll play a message and then somebody will pick up. this to me is pretty damn annoying and insulting. most of these people call from 10-2 in the afternoon. which means they wake me up, granted, i should wake up earlier, but i just think it's pretty sh!tty that i have to wake up just to hear some dead air or machine talk. seriously, if they have to bother me, can't they do it with a human? jesus.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Yeah, they are annoying. The only nice thing is that they don't argue with you when you say you aren't interested... ;)

l2c

ivol

Aug 30, 2001
you ever had them call up and ask for someone else, then when you tell them they have the wrong number they say thats okay I'll just tell you. WTF?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
you ever had them call up and ask for someone else, then when you tell them they have the wrong number they say thats okay I'll just tell you. WTF?

lol, yea i had that happen a few times...

what's worse is when it's a personal phone call and the person starts asking you questions as if you were somehow illegally using somebody elses phone.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
I hate that.

My dad just starts pushin buttons and stuff and just pushes options until a human picks up.

She picked up and he goes, "now, let me ask you a few questions."

d0ofy

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
When I pick up the phone and I hear, "Please stand by while we connect you," I just hang up. If they really want to get in touch with me, they'll personally call me. I'm not going to wait for some telemarketer with a war dialer.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I definitely got sick of it, and the unlisted number was starting not to work so well, so I dropped it. Friends and family were just calling my cell phone anyhow. Now I have all home ringers off and an outgoing message on my answering machine letting people know that I don't answer this line and to leave a message or call my cell phone. Of course, I don't give out my cell number on the machine. Last Tuesday I had 12 messages approximately 10-15 minutes apart that were nothing but dead silence. I haven't had a real message on my land line in months. My system works great for me.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
It has gotten so bad here in Florida that I rarely answer the phone anymore. I set my answering machine to pick up after two rings. My friends and family understand. Sales people are no longer able to pester me and the phone doesn't ring near as much as before.

Nov 7, 2000
SPAM SPAM SPAN
Back when we used to have 2 phone lines, both lines would ring at once (I guess separate telemarketers going sequentially through the phone book). Anyways we would just put them in a conference call and listen to them get all confused. :)

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
When I pick up, I usually say "hello" 2wice and give them 3 seconds. If no one talks, then its the machine or a telemarketer so I just hang up. What I really hate is the way they think you have nothing better to. Sometimes I have other people on the line and these farkers just talk away. :|

TheOmegaCode

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2001
yeah, they piss me off too. I especially hate the ones that say, "Please stay on the line to hear an announcement from, so-and-so."

Nov 7, 2000
No, but I wish I did. Sometimes, they would both start talking at once. I guess they are trained to start their spiel before the person who answers has a chance to say anything. Othertimes they would just keep yelling hello back at one another until they hung up.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Last Tuesday I had 12 messages approximately 10-15 minutes apart that were nothing but dead silence.

Thats what that crap is!

How is this stuff legal? Grr.

BeeVo

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Yah telemarketers are very annoying. I usually listen to what they say for 30 seconds then hang up. I look at it this way. If we got rid of them think of how many people would be out of a job and then people would complain that so many people lost their jobs. I know a lot of you will probably say good I hate them anyway but what would that do to the economy when big players like Disover Card and Visa go down? Whatever that is just my 2 cents.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If i receive a call and it's a machine, i hang up... or i just leave the phone off the hook and sit it by the TV or radio until they hang up.