Am I the only one that can't seem to pick a reliable router?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
My current router is a WNDR4500 I bought used off eBay (not a fan of refurbished), so it is likely 4-6 years old. Had to reboot it once, and I am not entirely sure it wasn't a modem problem (even though the modem showed no issues). I am ok with that.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've never had any issues with 5Ghz N or AC dropping constantly on a consumer grade router. There is a lot of crap out there, but it's not all crap.

You woudln't know that by looking at reviews, by both consumers and professionals. It's a large chunk of money on an important piece of tech to have to mess with a crap shoot. It points to a large shortcoming in the market for routers.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
My ubiquiti stuff gets rebooted for basically no reason but firmware updates. In five years of multi access point use I think I've had to reboot an access point once. They just work. Currently run two AC HDs, but I've moved on from the ERL to a FortiGate 60E. I'd still easily recommend the ERL it's rock solid for an absurdly cheap price.

Once you're moved out of consumer gear you will never, ever go back.

Viper GTS

How do you like the fortigate?
We're considering something ASIC based that can sustain 1Gbps+ over IPSec.