Am I seriously being forced to buy a Macbook air?!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
wait for the next gen air - retina display. I'm hoping the 15" air (aka new pro) will be 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 in 15" - then really i want the 17" with 2560x1600 that is 4lb.

there is nothing like the trackpad on the air - sorry no pc laptops have usable trackpads once you use a macbook air (or modern macbook).

2008 macbook air $400-500 trackpad is light years advanced over 2012 model ultrabook lol. sad.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
i had a macbook air for several months and i didn't find the trackpad to be anything special

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
i had a macbook air for several months and i didn't find the trackpad to be anything special

have you ever tried a windows notebook trackpad?

Thats the only complaint I have about my X220. the trackpad is awful. And it was awful on my eeepc in windows. however same eeepc using jolicloud: trackpad was fine.
IMHO the synaptic drivers are pure crap.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
lol of course i have.
I guess my view on this is even the MBA, i do not find trackpads all that useful and i end up using a mouse anyways.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
well you know you have to turn on most of the kewl functions on osx for the trackpad - they tend to set the default settings to what i consider either wrong or non functional.

for coding- magic trackpad sucks - i can't even imagine using it for that. but for couch surfing - love it. even the ancient 2008 macbook air has many finger gesture support.

but yeah coding = good ole intellimouse

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
lol of course i have.
I guess my view on this is even the MBA, i do not find trackpads all that useful and i end up using a mouse anyways.

considering how many things you can do on a trackpad vs a mouse I don't get this at all.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
considering how many things you can do on a trackpad vs a mouse I don't get this at all.

yeah but the most important one, vertical scroll, is like crap on any touchpad i ever used and even worse on those with synaptics drivers. Seriously they drive me crazy. Luckily my X220 has the pointing stick...but vertical scroll? registers like 60% of the time. unusable compared to a mouse wheel. and a wrongly registered vertical scroll can easily do some unwanted changes. Especially annoying when coding.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
yeah but the most important one, vertical scroll, is like crap on any touchpad i ever used and even worse on those with synaptics drivers. Seriously they drive me crazy. Luckily my X220 has the pointing stick...but vertical scroll? registers like 60% of the time. unusable compared to a mouse wheel. and a wrongly registered vertical scroll can easily do some unwanted changes. Especially annoying when coding.

Except on an Apple trackpad (especially in OS X). Two finger omni-directional scrolling, pinch to zoom, multi-finger swipes for various functions. All good things, and they all work... let's say 95%+ of the time. Nothing works flawlessly all the time.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
i've never tried gestures nor options in OSX, i guess i will look again next time

KeithCody

Mar 1, 2012
I have a Lenovo W500 and bought a MacBook Air. I think it's a great machine and I appreciate how light it is.