Am I right to assume that EVGA cards have less chances of been good OCers?

shaolin95

Jul 8, 2005
Ok, let me clarify...
What I mean is, that for the GTX 980 TI, EVGA has so many different versions that it would seem to me like they are binning the cards a lot and separating into those "levels" so chances of getting a nice clocker are less than say with Asus or Gigabyte for example.

Am I way off?

I am debating between an EVGA 980 ti SC+ AC2.0+ (has been slightly modified for aftermaket water cooling which means no warranty I am sure) vs Asus Strix 980 ti with full warranty. The Asus being $65 more but arriving one day earlier as well :D

Yes, only those two are under consideration so please no others to recommend as it is mostly a question about evga and OCing/Binning

dailow

Oct 27, 2001
You're correct in that evga does binning, but all that does for them is guarantee the factory overclock. I suppose it's a safe assumption that they reserve the fastest chips for their most expensive products as well.

Then again, all things being equal, the watercooled EVGA card might end up being a better overclocker than the Asus card on air due to the superior cooling solution.

shaolin95

Jul 8, 2005
You're correct in that evga does binning, but all that does for them is guarantee the factory overclock. I suppose it's a safe assumption that they reserve the fastest chips for their most expensive products as well.

Then again, all things being equal, the watercooled EVGA card might end up being a better overclocker than the Asus card on air due to the superior cooling solution.

Oh yeah I agree about the water cooled indeed.
Thanks

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Recent EVGA cards, sure. At launch when they had less SKUs it was much more variable. You could get 80% ASIC SC cards. Now most of them are in the 65-70% range.

shaolin95

Jul 8, 2005
Recent EVGA cards, sure. At launch when they had less SKUs it was much more variable. You could get 80% ASIC SC cards. Now most of them are in the 65-70% range.

I decided to go with the Strix instead in my case after much research.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've had no problems overclocking my eVGA cards and I've been using them exclusively since 2005.

Mezzanine

Feb 13, 2006
I remember forking out serious coin for an EVGA GTX 570 Classified and it was the worst overclocking card ever....20mhz more and it would artifact/crash. Kind of turned me off EVGA's so called "binned" cards.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
A friend of mine recently bought one of their lowest tier 980TIs, it had a ASIC of 61% and it could barely do 1340MHz boost.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
The only GPU I've ever seriously tried to OC was my original GTX560Ti 448... and I didn't have much luck. I was probably more worried about damaging it, so I didn't get stupid with it, finally just gave up and ran it at stock.

You're correct in that evga does binning, but all that does for them is guarantee the factory overclock.

As much as I like EVGA cards, I think their product line is a little saturated... FTW, SC, SSC, etc... all for the same level of card, with just a $10-20 difference between the models. Doesn't make sense to me...