am I paying too much for contacts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WannaFly

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
15 years wearing contacts like Juno (extending the life of them). Never had a problem.

Once a year I buy the equivalent of a 6 month supply and that will last me a year or longer. I toss them when they get scratchy.

Same here. One pair of two week contacts lasts me 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer. I've told my eye doctor, who says thats perfectly fine as long as i take them out at night and clean them like I do. I tpyically wear them until I accidentally rip them.

Edit: I pay $20 a box for mine, 6 pairs - biomedics i think they are called

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AliasX
I got about a year supply for 300 dollars. My contacts are 1 pair a day. Put um on in the morning, throw them out at the end of the day.

Fucking love them.

Me too, Focus Dailies but only in my right eye. I save about 30% buying on the internet. Just bought some prescription glasses on the internet for $40, SO much cheaper than the optometrist.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
yeah you got ripped off. you went to a private store didnt you rather than a chain?

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Why not go to vision direct? I got 4 boxes of Acuvue2's and 2 boxes of coloured prescription contacts for $200.

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
so how do I get them cheap? just get em online? I probably have to ask my optometrist for my prescription, huh?

also, I doubt a lot of places are gonna have mine in stock as my vision is HORRIBLE plus I had a hard time looking for contacts that fit my eyeballs (many attempts before I finally settled with my Biomedics...) AND I have astigmatism :(

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: iskim86
so how do I get them cheap? just get em online? I probably have to ask my optometrist for my prescription, huh?

also, I doubt a lot of places are gonna have mine in stock as my vision is HORRIBLE plus I had a hard time looking for contacts that fit my eyeballs (many attempts before I finally settled with my Biomedics...) AND I have astigmatism :(

Yes, consult your optometrist to get your prescription and order them online in bulk. Much, much cheaper than going to the store. Since your eye is weird, you might find you have to continue paying too much. Failed experiment, but it'd be worth the shot of saving tons of money in the long run.