Am I nuts for wanting to buy a Mini Cooper S?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Or should I get a 3 series BMW? (Like a 325 or 330 if I can afford it?)

I was at the Mini dealership in Mtn View today, and had the chance to sit in a couple, and it not only makes surprisingly efficient use of internal space, it has good safety features. And... it comes with a rear sunroof... :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
and you can put all of 2 grocery bags behind the rear seat

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
and you can put all of 2 grocery bags behind the rear seat

Full of tampons & boxes of EPT :p

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
No, you're just lacking nuts.

- M4H

Excellent reply. :D:beer:

I'm a straight male and I'd buy that car though, assuming it felt like it was worth the money after I test drove it. They look cool at least.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
No, you're just lacking nuts.

- M4H

Excellent reply. :D:beer:

I'm a straight male and I'd buy that car though, assuming it felt like it was worth the money after I test drove it. They look cool at least.

They do look cool. I recently saw The Italian Job, and that's why I'm even considering it. I am single with no kids, and no, I'm not gay. ;)

It would be fun to take one of these and tweak it with a header and exhaust kit. :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't think so. They're nice looking cars, and they seem like they'd be pretty quick too. I'd take the Mini over a BMW, although it is not much of a utilitarian vehicle.

Do you drive a Mustang 5.0 now?

JYDog

Feb 17, 2003
The Mini is the best hatchback on the market at the moment imo. Compared to Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Scion and VW Golf, it performs quite well(if absolute space is not a issue).

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
I don't think so. They're nice looking cars, and they seem like they'd be pretty quick too. I'd take the Mini over a BMW, although it is not much of a utilitarian vehicle.

Do you drive a Mustang 5.0 now?

I used to drive an '83 Mustang GT, but that was about 6 years ago. Currently I drive a 2000 Grand Am GT, but the lease is up next month. So I'm wondering what to get...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

the lease is up next month. So I'm wondering what to get...

you should really get on that

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: JYDog
The Mini is the best hatchback on the market at the moment imo. Compared to Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Scion and VW Golf, it performs quite well(if absolute space is not a issue).

The mini S also costs a shitload more than the other cars you listed. Taking "base" prices (I use the quotation marks because base models aren't exactly comparable so I picked comparable configs when possible)

Cooper Mini S => ~$20K
Mazda 3s => $17K
Toyota Matrix XR => ~$17K
Scion xA => ~$13K (obviously a lesser config. than others)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I have a Cooper and love it :D. I could not justify the price jump to the S, so I passed it. Now I am thinking about a Cooper S John Cooper Works Edition. mmmmmm....

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
my friend wanted one, and i called him a woman for it. he ended up with a 599 instead. however, they are excellent performers and significantly cheaper than a 3 series. also, a wrx is in the same price range as a mini, might want to consider that.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: bR
Too many BMW 3s...

I think I agree. Also, for the price I don't think you really get a whole lot of car, at least on the base models. The Cooper, on the other hand, has a LOT of character.

I think the WRX just looks cheap and cheesy.

Any other suggestions?

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
rough ride, lots of drivetrain noise too, I think they are a novel car, but I thought it would be a much nicer ride coming from BMW.

JYDog

Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle

The mini S also costs a shitload more than the other cars you listed. Taking "base" prices (I use the quotation marks because base models aren't exactly comparable so I picked comparable configs when possible)

Cooper Mini S => ~$20K
Mazda 3s => $17K

The base model Mini comes in around $18,500, iirc. Must also consider it will be slightly better equiped than the other base models...

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

Cooper Mini S => ~$20K
Mazda 3s => $17K

The base model Mini comes in around $18,500, iirc. Must also consider it will be slightly better equiped than the other base models...

I got the prices directly from the each manufacturer's website just now by clicking configure/build/buy. I don't know how much better equiped it is compared to others but I doubt it has $3K's worth more than the others.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Cooper Mini S => ~$20K
Mazda 3s => $17K

A standard MINI comes in at $16,449

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001

I think the WRX just looks cheap and cheesy.
:| Blasphemy, burn him!

They do! http://www.subaruwrx.com/ It looks like a cheesy '80s K-car econobox with a big-assed wing on the back. Gah..

ooh, the dreaded K-car insult. ;) i agree, they are hideous. but i'd still consider one just because of what happens when you mash on the go-pedal.

i'd consider the Cooper S, too. Yeah, it costs a little more than the others, but you're getting a BMW instead of a riced Mazda.