Am I insane for?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Dice144, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Dice144

Dice144 Senior member

Asked Santa (aka my GF) for a PS3 with Final Fantasy 13. I been a mostly PC gamer for a long time but with back issues + always loved Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9.

Currently play MMO Evercrack (everquest) and need something with a pause button for the days I cannot spend 4 hours at a time with GF faction going down!

When/if I get the PS3 any other games you all would recommend?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - insane Forum Date
    Gears 3 on Insane.... Console Gaming Oct 3, 2011
    Guillermo Del Toro/THQ : Insane coming in 2013 Console Gaming Dec 12, 2010

3. MrRamon

MrRamon Senior member

Lol, Santa(Girlfriend) ordered a playstation 3 and final fantasy 13 for me on black Friday. I'm also a long time PC gamer and am curious on what good games to get. So far I'm looking at metal gear solid and ratchet and clank. To note, I ordered the bundle with infamous and uncharted 1 and 2.

4. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

If you are a Final Fantasy / JRPG fan, Final Fantasy 13 will disappoint sad to say.

You basically run in a straight line while mashing one button through either quick time events or FMV or battles. Absolutely NO exploration, treasure hunting, or free roaming, and the story is shallow to non existent.

Tales of Graces F and Ni No Kuni look really good though.

#3 exdeath, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

i'm a fan and FF13 wasn't that big of a disappointment. the linear gameplay got boring, but once you made it to the open world it started to pick up. i enjoyed it. FF13-2, however, i couldn't get into that at all.

6. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

If you like Uncharted 1, get Uncharted 3, and probably Uncharted 4 when it comes out. There's also now apparently a God of War collection that has the 2 PS2 games, 2 PSP games, and the PS3 God of War 3. Those are some good games for when you just want some unapologetic violent game. Tales of Graces f was pretty good. I need to get around to finishing it, but Valkyrie Chronicles was an interesting game from what I played of it. Both Batman Arkham Asylum and City were pretty good. I have high hopes for the next Tales and Persona installments as well. You can get Mass Effect 2 and 3 for the PS3, maybe at some point they'll release 1, who knows.

You can actually buy FF 7-9 on PSN if you want to do a little retro gaming. That should give you enough to get started and keep you busy until late spring, maybe into summer.

And finally, I'm with SandEagle. FF13 was not that bad of a game. The whole story was centered on the idea that the characters have to keep on the move to avoid capture. So to paraphrase a bit from the great late George Carlin talking about people who break out of prisons: What do you think they're going to do? Stick around? Check real estate trends? ... That's the whole point of breaking out of prison, to get as far away as possible!

The story was maybe a little light on the main plot thrust, but then they were always intending FF13 to be like a 7 year franchise with the main canon and then some spinoff games (though it's looking like Verses may not ever see the light of day). So FF13 was just the opening chapter, then you've got XIII-2, and there's going to be a XIII-3. In XIII a lot of the story centered around the development of the characters. Having to come to grips with the new reality of their situation and then learning to trust one another and work together. So for people who are looking for a story to be mapped out for them and delivered on a silver platter, XIII will probably disappoint. But for people who like the more subtle literary delivery devices, XIII does not disappoint. Unlike XIII-2.... About the only good thing I can really say about XIII-2 is it wasn't as bad a sequel as X-2 was. By the time I got close to the end of XIII-2, it was feeling more like work than a game.

7. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

XIII-2 and XIII-3 are direct sequels, but everything else in the Fabula Nova Crystallis (Type-0 and Versus XIII) are not really related to XIII at all. Also, Square-Enix pushing back Versus XIII so much is really rather grating as it actually looks good unlike most of their recent ventures. I'd also like to try Type-0, but that was never released here, and I doubt that we'll ever see it. It was released on the PSP, which is still fairly popular in Japan, but has never gained much traction in the US. I guess I could either import it or "acquire" it for use on my hacked PSP (naughty! :$).

8. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

Valkyria Chronicles is strategy but with story and RPG elements

9. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Thats just it.... The "open world" happens 2 minutes before the end of the game when they've run out of cut scenes and quick time events to shove in your face.

And then its nothing more than a grind spot and an hour's worth of mini games.

#8 exdeath, Nov 27, 2012
  10. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

I agree that FF13 was a good game and I don't agree at all with exdeath that the story is shallow. I felt the story made the linear gameplay more bearable and made me want to continue the quest throughout the game. Also, the final boss area alone is worth playing through the game for imho.

exdeath, we get it, you are retro...but this game isn't that bad at all. Do you really have to crap all over every RPG that came out after 1988?

Other good PS3 games...well, almost nothing exclusive to the system has drawn my interest but I would recommend Borderlands 2 & Fall of Cybertron if you want a good shooter. If you want another RPG, I guess Skyrim if you haven't played it. I have actually moved towards the PC recently myself because I prefer the games there to what the PS3 offers.

#9 Pr0d1gy, Nov 27, 2012
  11. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Personally, there hasn't been a good JRPG in a very long time. Supposedly Persona 4 is good. Might have to grab it for Vita and try it.

Generally, for my taste...Japanese games are lacking quality this gen severely. Outside of Nintendo and fighters nobody is making games in Japan worth a crap to me.

They butchered every series that was any good.

That's just my opinion. A friend and I were chatting about japanese developers and we both came to the conclusion that they are largely irrelevant to the current landscape and all the best games come from NA or EU now.

12. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

I didn't say it was outright BAD, its just a poor example of a modern RPG. Final Fantasy has lost more and more of its magic since 7.

In the sea of modern shovelware, its a decent title and a must have if you are desperate for something that doesn't revolve around fatigues and M4s, , but compared to previous Final Fantasy titles, its lacking severely.

#11 exdeath, Nov 27, 2012
  13. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

If you happened to play any of the earlier SMT Persona games, then 4 is probably just more of the same. For my money, Persona 3 was the better overall game, but 4 did make some nice refinements. Both were good games, but just be ready to hit the mute button any time Teddy is talking for Persona 4. Unless they changed the voice actor for the Vita version, his voice was like a rusty nail on a chalkboard to me. You wished you could really reach inside the TV so you could strangle him.