Am I dreaming?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's finally happening? I've been waiting for this since it was supposed to happen with Bourdain being involved. Ok so it will be smaller, 18 vendors vs over 40, but still, the actual folks from Singapore coming to make us Hainanese chicken, oyster pancakes, chili crab, and many more dishes? Also easy for me to get to via public trans. Sign me up after you wake me up from this dream...

"The ambitious, Anthony Bourdain-backed food hall slated to open at Pier 57 — a project that fell apart almost exactly four years ago — is back. This time around, Urbanspace and Singaporean street food expert KF Seetoh, both major players in bringing the marketplace to New York City the first time around, are planning to debut a facsimile of Singapore’s famed hawker centers in early 2022 in Midtown at 135 West 50th Street, between Sixth and Seventh avenues.

At the yet-to-be-named venue, there will be 18 Singaporean vendors, according to Urbanspace. New Yorkers can expect well-known dishes — including chile crab, oyster omelettes, and nasi lemak — that are staples of the most iconic hawker centers in the Southeast Asian country, which the United Nations recognized for their cultural heritage last year.

Ah Tai, who supposedly served Bourdain his first taste of Hainanese chicken rice — which many consider Singapore’s national dish — will be among the vendors. There’s also Chris Hooi, whose family is credited for the most beloved rendition of chile crab created more than 60 years ago."

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I recall hearing something about this .... something to look forward to!

:)

Singaporean food isn't something I've encountered often .... Hainanese chicken-rice is pretty dang good!