Am I depressed?

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Ok?this is a very hard thread for me to word right so, bear with me.

My wife and I have been married for 3 years now. I?m 23, she is 22. We were married when we were 20/19. We dated for about 6 months, were engaged for a year.

She has her BA in Psychology and has been working for CPS (Child Protective Services) for the past year now. Her job is very stressful.

Her childhood was not so great, and she was molested by her older half-brother a few times, plus her step-dad, Mark, was a meth-head. He was with them when she was 3 ?> 17. He mentally abused her, treated her bad b/c either she was a girl, we?ll assume. She has a younger brother who Mark treated just fine for the most part.

Well, a few weeks ago she started therapy because for quite sometime now she?s been having bad thoughts and highly depressed at times. So?she?s been in therapy for going on her 3rd week now. We hardly see each other because I?ve started a new job where I work nights. She works from 8a- 4:30p, but goes to therapy from 5p-9p. I work 9p-7a.

Me?I was molested by my older half-sister a few times when I was around 11 years old. I don?t know that it was that traumatic for me, although I do have depression I think. My dad did not want me, as he verbally told me plenty of times. When he was dying of cancer, I went to the hospital to see him and he wouldn?t even acknowledge that I was there, just said that he ?wished his son could be here? (speaking of his son Robert). Also, my mother is schizophrenic, as is 95% of the rest of my family. My mom was caught trying to ?baptize? me whenever I was months old, and my aunt walked in just in time. That?s whenever my aunt took guardian-ship over me but couldn?t really take care of me since she worked as an LPN at 2 jobs. So I lived with foster-parents and seen my mother on the weekends.

Anyway?now for the purpose of the purpose of the back-stories. My wife has decided that she wants me to go to therapy as well now. So that I can fully relate to what she?s feeling. To me it sounds like if I don?t go?we?re through. She says that she?s turning into a different person. Although still in love me with me and wants to be with me, she wants someone who can understand her. Someone who can read her.

I guess my question is?do you think I need therapy? I mean, I know that AT can?t diagnose me, but?personal opinion? I feel fine most of the time but I do feel a lot that if I weren?t around a lot of people?s lives would be a lot better off. I feel like such a burden to so many people. I dunno, I feel like I have it all under control but?do I?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Everyone can use therapy to a degree. It isn't going to hurt you to go and considering how your wife feels about this I would at least give it a try for her sake. You might be very surprised what you learn.

Jun 27, 2005
It's not that she thinks you need therapy (though it probably wouldn't hurt). She wants you to go to therapy with her so you'll know what's going on with her. Go.

4 hours is one hell of a therapy session though... I've never heard of that...

But that's beside the point. Go to her therapy session. You'd be a fool to ignore that.

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
It's not that she thinks you need therapy (though it probably wouldn't hurt). She wants you to go to therapy with her so you'll know what's going on with her. Go.

But that's beside the point. Go to her therapy session. You'd be a fool to ignore that.

Yea, goes mon-fri for 4 weeks, then they evaluate her. She's got high anxiety (she can't even make phone calls w/o getting nervous) and she's very depressed with herself.

I appreciated the sincere thoughts. I had planned on at least trying, i love my wife very much and would do anything for her.

That sentence in bold, made me really understand though.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: DigitalCancer

Yea, goes mon-fri for 4 weeks, then they evaluate her. She's got high anxiety (she can't even make phone calls w/o getting nervous) and she's very depressed with herself.

I appreciated the sincere thoughts. I had planned on at least trying, i love my wife very much and would do anything for her.

Good. Go. Make the effort. You'll have to duck out early to go to work but she'll appreciate the effort and you'll get insight like you've never had.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
yup, i agree with Whoozyerdaddy on all points.

hope everything works out with u & your wife!!! :)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Good. Go. Make the effort. You'll have to duck out early to go to work but she'll appreciate the effort and you'll get insight like you've never had.

Very well said & I fully agree.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
It sounds like its a huge and important part of her life and if you care about her I would think it is important to go, if only to show support and to better understand where she is coming from.

Or is this like therapy for you independent of her? I understood your post as you go and sit in on her therapy session and/or some sort of group therapy thing.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Whoozyerdaddy is right. I think you should go, its not going to hurt you and you'll be spending time with your wife that you otherwise would not have had.

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
I do love her a lot and would do anything to make this work. This is a very tough time in her life and i understand that. I just wasn't sure why she wanted me to go to therapy with her but i think i understand now.
I hope this can bring us closer together as well and give us a little more to talk about.
She is getting better, given she's taking a few meds now, but she is getting better. Although she hit a depression state earlier this afternoon while i was sleeping. =/

I'm gonig to try and catch her for breakfast this morning, so...i will tell her then that i am going to fit therapy into my already hectic schedule, but i'll find a way. I really appreciate the help from all of AT.

I was even expecting some flames, but got none. A good thing in delicate matters though. ^_^

Jun 27, 2005
I do love her a lot and would do anything to make this work. This is a very tough time in her life and i understand that. I just wasn't sure why she wanted me to go to therapy with her but i think i understand now.
I hope this can bring us closer together as well and give us a little more to talk about.
She is getting better, given she's taking a few meds now, but she is getting better. Although she hit a depression state earlier this afternoon while i was sleeping. =/

I'm gonig to try and catch her for breakfast this morning, so...i will tell her then that i am going to fit therapy into my already hectic schedule, but i'll find a way. I really appreciate the help from all of AT.

I was even expecting some flames, but got none. A good thing in delicate matters though. ^_^

Oy... Whatever you do, DO NOT present it to her like you are going 'fit her into your schedule'... I think you only partially get it. Going to her therapy should be your #1 priority and you should work everything else around that instead of working that into everything else. Semantics I know... but don't talk to her about the sacrifices you're making to go to her meetings. Just say, 'sweetie (or whatever), you're the most important person in my life and I'm going to start going to your meetings. I'll be there tonight' Leave everything else out of that conversation. You're there for her and you're there for your marriage. Everything else is trivial.

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004

Oy... Whatever you do, DO NOT present it to her like you are going 'fit her into your schedule'... I think you only partially get it. Going to her therapy should be your #1 priority and you should work everything else around that instead of working that into everything else. Semantics I know... but don't talk to her about the sacrifices you're making to go to her meetings. Just say, 'sweetie (or whatever), you're the most important person in my life and I'm going to start going to your meetings. I'll be there tonight' Leave everything else out of that conversation. You're there for her and you're there for your marriage. Everything else is trivial.

Yea yea, i didn't mean it like that. Well, maybe i did...i dunno

I just meant that i WOULD fit it into my schedule (i work 2 jobs plus school). I won't present it to her like that though, i will say it the way you suggested, its sounds much better. ^_^