AM I crazy, or i9s this current and almost current batch of SSD's

capeconsultant

Aug 10, 2005
Like Corsair 3, Micron C400, the nonexistent Intel G3 and a few others falling flat on their respective faces? I mean what is up?

24nm Flash is SLOWER than 34nm?

Come on folks, I wanted a bigger, better, cheaper SSD with speed and reliability! WTF?

Agree? Disagree?

LokutusofBorg

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2001
A RAID array of 4x 600GB drives is going to be slower than a RAID array of 8x 300GB drives.

There may be something actually wrong with the new 25nm NAND, but people are too easily ignoring the fact that a 60GB 25nm drive is *not* going to have equivalent performance to a 60GB 32nm drive. If someone doesn't understand (and expect) that then they don't understand how these SSDs are put together.

25nm was all about a doubling in capacity, and really nothing more.

capeconsultant

Aug 10, 2005
Ah yes, cats rule all! I just want the SSD companies to to the RIGHT thing instead of the CHEAP thing and give all all some decent drives.

I await the G3. Soon please! And also some decent reviews of the latest crop. Headed to storagereview.com now.

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
Like Corsair 3, Micron C400, the nonexistent Intel G3 and a few others falling flat on their respective faces?

What are you talking about? Of the 3 you list, only the Corsair P3 is out, and it does not use 25nm flash. The P3 does have one of the highest sequential write speeds (for real data) of any MLC SSD, but it appears to give up some 4K performance to achieve it.

The Micron C400 announced specs are better than the C300. The specs given for the Intel G3 a few months ago look better than the G2.

So I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Unless it is the problems with the OCZ SSDs that are using 25nm flash. But that is possibly due to OCZ and/or Sandforce not driving the 25nm flash properly.

The real test of the 25nm flash will be when the Crucial M4 (=Micron C400) is released. If Crucial/Micron cannot get good performance out of their own flash chips, then there is clearly a problem. But if I had to bet, I'd bet on the M4 performance looking good. Latest unofficial word is that the M4 will be released in March (mentioned on the Crucial forums).

capeconsultant

Aug 10, 2005
Well, I am more or less just ranting, but still, where is some good roundups for the current batch of drives? And why are they all taking so ridiculously long?

Heck, if I were going to buy one now, which one would I buy? i usually know but there seems to be either a lack or real info and/or a lack of actual product at this time? BTW, I had to sell the SSD in my sig. Am paying the price with slow programs and wicked slow boot!

jwilliams4200

Apr 10, 2009
There are good choices among the currently available SSDs. I think the Intel X25-M 120GB and the Crucial C300 128GB are the best choices right now.

If you need an SSD now, then buy one now. With technology, you can always be waiting for the next thing to come along, in which case you never get the benefits of what is available now. Or you can buy what you need now, and let the future unfold as it will.

capeconsultant

Aug 10, 2005
I cannot buy anything now, so I have to wait whether I want to or not :( So, I guess I will wait. Really, I did expect more and better choices. It seems to me that the Intel 120 is simply a Gap Filler placeholder till they can get something good out the door.

OK, I just looked here and those are some good reviews. I guess this would be the one to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

Last edited:

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I'm glad I grabbed a C300. Looks like I didn't miss anything by not waiting. (Does that make ANY sense? :D) Initial prices for the nex-gens, especially higher-capacities that would take advantage of 25nm, will cost the earth anyway.