Alternative to iTunes?

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
...that works with Android/Windows phones? I still use iTunes and love its radio streaming and cataloging abilities, and as far as I can tell, all the decent (read: visually appealing/decent interface) alternatives either have to sync with iTunes to get your library. Is there no stand-alone application for Windows to import your iTunes library that works with non-Apple devices and has radio streaming as well? Seems like by now someone would have come up with such a program. Have tried Songbird and Doubletwist, with both work with my phone, but must sync with iTunes for content and do not stream radio or to a receiver or media box like Roku. Am I missing something here? Please advise. Thanks.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Songbird? http://en.kioskea.net/faq/19523-songbird-import-export-music-and-playlist-from-itunes

http://getsongbird.net/

WinAmp Android sync is buggy. So is DoubleTwist. Both only partially sync library forgets tracks. Songbird's sync doesn't allow one to dictate where to sync to. Haven't tied the rest listed here but basically so, syncing music to Android has been a disappointing affair. Especially when you have to migrate libraries from one PC side client to another just to facilitate the sync. When one app actually does it without the caveats, please let me know.
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/01/which-player-is-best-for-syncing-to-android/

http://android.appstorm.net/how-to/music/sync-those-melodies-with-songbird/

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
WinAmp (still available despite it being not worked on anymore). Will also sync your iPod.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Again, Songbird needs iTunes to have any content . Yeah, I've been using Winamp, and it does a passable job of syncing with iTunes and will import FLAC, all to its credit. I had read that it had been abandoned, but this year has been revived. I know you can skin it, but it's interface needs a serious overhaul. In the interim I have learned that iTunes can import to it's own lossless format (ALAC), that uses an MP4 wrapper, and this in turn can be played by my player of choice, Poweramp. So, it's not a hopeless situation, just klunky. Guess we'll just have to make with what's out there.

Xeon_Addict

Jan 16, 2014
Check out Mediamonkey. I use it, but have not tried it with my ipod:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Taken from website:

• Manage 100,000+ music and video files without bogging down.
  • Record CDs and download music, movies, and podcasts.
  • Automatically lookup and intuitively tag album art, lyrics and other metadata.
  • Manage any audio / video genres: Rock, Classical, Audiobooks, Podcasts, Home movies, tv, etc.
  • Wi-Fi Sync with MediaMonkey for Android.

• Play MP3s and other audio formats, and never again worry about varying volume.
  • Create playlists and let Auto-DJ & Party Mode take care of your party.
  • Sync Android, iPhone, iPod, iPad & others, converting & leveling tracks on-the-fly.
  • Share via DLNA and convert MP3s, M4A, OGG, FLAC, WMA, MP4, AVI, and WMV to support most devices.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't know exactly what you you want. I don't really do syncing, and haven't used iTunes in years, but you might want to give Clementine a look. It's a fully featured desktop(That's what you want, right?) player that doesn't get much attention from Windows users.

http://www.clementine-player.org/

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I don't know exactly what you you want. I don't really do syncing, and haven't used iTunes in years, but you might want to give Clementine a look. It's a fully featured desktop(That's what you want, right?) player that doesn't get much attention from Windows users.

http://www.clementine-player.org/

Thanks, I will give this program a look. From its site, it appears to do much of what need, but as yet, iTunes is the only player I know of that streams to an Airplay receiver. I think Apple locked that down with Pioneer, Sony, etc. early on. It works like a charm, but I wonder if Apple will ever open up iTunes to the rest of the mobile world. Prolly not.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Winamp, or Musicbee.

I'm personally using Winamp right now, but I might change to Musicbee in the future, as soon as I figure out how to customize it.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I had read that it had been abandoned, but this year has been revived. I know you can skin it, but it's interface needs a serious overhaul.

Yes! I felt bereft when a while back it was posted here Winamp was about to die....and then, I felt intense joy when it got saved.

Below is proof of just how subjective such as skins can be for each of us: Not only is the original classic skin the only one I adore of the bazillion I have seen, within it, if you check, are infinite color choices and options to configure. I like simple and pragmatic...even, sometimes, rudimentary industrial.

2elf1vl.png

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You need to learn how to crop your images. After you do a copy and paste in Windows Paint, you need to click "crop" before "save". The forums (and I) will thank you.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Take a look at MusicBee.

It syncs to any MTP device and supports library management and has some radio support (I don't know if it fits your needs or not). I love it and have been using it as my library manager for quite a while.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Check out Mediamonkey. I use it, but have not tried it with my ipod:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Taken from website:

• Manage 100,000+ music and video files without bogging down.
  • Record CDs and download music, movies, and podcasts.
  • Automatically lookup and intuitively tag album art, lyrics and other metadata.
  • Manage any audio / video genres: Rock, Classical, Audiobooks, Podcasts, Home movies, tv, etc.
  • Wi-Fi Sync with MediaMonkey for Android.

• Play MP3s and other audio formats, and never again worry about varying volume.
  • Create playlists and let Auto-DJ & Party Mode take care of your party.
  • Sync Android, iPhone, iPod, iPad & others, converting & leveling tracks on-the-fly.
  • Share via DLNA and convert MP3s, M4A, OGG, FLAC, WMA, MP4, AVI, and WMV to support most devices.

I use Media Monkey also, and use it with my Android phone. It works great, I've given up Itunes altogether.

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
MusicBee is awesome. I've been using it for years. It has all the options I need. Simple to customize.

One major annoyance though. It corrupts my iPod Nano(7th/8th gen) database every time I open iTunes when MusicBee is already open. Older iPods work & sync fine though.

I don't listen to online music so I can't vouch for those functions but it's CD ripping capabilites & tagging capabilites are top notch.

Nov 20, 2009
Can these alternatives replicate libraries from one computer to another computer? I greatly dislike having to have one specific computer on for streaming/syncing.

avinyc

Nov 7, 2014
I tried mediamonkey but switched to musicbee, it's the best alternative for itunes that I would recommend.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just started using Musicbee, and it works great for music. However it doesn't do video, so that could be a deal breaker for you.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
You need to learn how to crop your images. After you do a copy and paste in Windows Paint, you need to click "crop" before "save". The forums (and I) will thank you.

K, Larry, thanks....():) Again, old school, clean, lean will always be my choice.

v4cvbt.png

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I can't recommend Media Monkey enough

also a great tool to clean up your music files- art, lyrics, tags, file names, etc

syncs great with Apple devices and Android devices, even DLNA-compatible home receivers

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
it takes some learning, but I'm a little surprised that foobar2000 hasn't been mentioned. I guess it's not very iTunes-like.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Now you need to learn how to edit your posts! lol j/k

My style is mine consistently in all arenas, including professionally which centers around communication. I get you might prefer something different, but if it bothers you, nobody is forcing you to read them.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
My style is mine consistently in all arenas, including professionally which centers around communication. I get you might prefer something different, but if it bothers you, nobody is forcing you to read them.

In my defense I did not read the post, but I cannot unsee a 1600x1200 image consisting mostly of white. I was temporarily blinded. :p

Last edited: