Alternative to buying >16gb phone

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
I've reading some of the threads on this forum, and I see there is almost a universal opinion that Apple should have increased the storage on the new iPhone SE base model. I am considering buy the SE model, and I was contemplating buying the 64gb model. Having been on Amazon, and I came across a SanDisk 200gb wireless stick for $100 to $119. I'm not promoting the SanDisk brand, but since don't know if there are other manufacturers who make a competing product, I'm not naming any.

It's new technology to me, so I am asking this question. What are the pros and cons to buying a wireless stick and a 16gb iPhone SE for storing big files like music, pics and movies, rather than spending that $100 for a 64gb phone?

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
iOS doesn't have a (true) file browser, and applications cannot share file. and you can't install apps/games on that usb stick

it'll be very cumbersome

get a 64GB model

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Just get the higher memory version and be done with it. If you sell it in a few years that will almost pay for itself in resell.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
You will regret not getting the 64GB model. It's worth the extra money and any third party and external options are always kludgy at best. Plus you end up having to use proprietary apps and services from the maker of the device. It's not like an Android or Windows device that basically acts like a computer with external storage.

You CAN live with 16gb using a cloud service like OneDrive or Google Photos to offload pictures and videos to the cloud and by not installing many apps at all. You also can't use your phone to listen to music or pile up lots of podcasts without constantly removing stuff and cleaning up when space runs out.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I agree with everyone else. You want at least 32GB internal storage as a safety cushion even if you don't think you'll use it all - apps can use up a decent amount of storage, especially over time - and since Apple doesn't offer a 32GB option, go for 64GB.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Just get the higher memory version and be done with it. If you sell it in a few years that will almost pay for itself in resell.

The man speaks the truth.

Even if you are okay with a few apps and not having a lot of space for pictures and video, when you go to sell the phone (assuming you do) the odds are most people will want more space. And those that don't, will probably lowball you on price knowing that most people want more space.

Plus, it is another device to carry around and keep charged. Another device that could fail, get lost or stolen.

Unless you are absolutely sure you don't need the space and that you will never sell it, get the 64GB model.

-KeithP

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Yep that is one advantage of an iPhone. There are enough people who will want even a used one that it will have one of the best, if not the best, resale value of any smartphone.

Get the 64GB version you'll thank yourself and everyone who told you that later.

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
There's a brand called Leef(I think) that builds add-on storage though they're expensive as hell. They wrap around the back so have a slim profile. They are pretty cool though; except for the price.