alternative reality - is it too late

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
can we have a democracy with an alternative reality?

I've watched about 40 hours of video doing research and I swear, I think the riotous mob that stormed the US Capitol believed that the lies spewed by tRump and the rEpubs are actually real.

I watched the video from many different angles where that white lady Vet got killed and I'm astounded before she caught a bullet, they were slobbering out the mouth trying to get in that corridor where the CP was warning them to back down.

They were really (literally) slobbering out of the mouth, punching the glass with his bare fist and other objects. I've never seen hate and rage like that before.

I really don't understand. If they have grievances then how do we mend their grievances peacefully? How do we manage the fact that these people feel wounded to the point of storming the Federal Capitol building that they needed to enact treason in order to get their points taken seriously? Five people have died because of this.

I would assume they would understand that the Congress person they elected in office would be the first stop they go to in order to voice their displeasure.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
These people are goners. Not sure how to deal with them yet but they are are only capable of evil. We must be vigilant, right now they are like cornered rats.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You fucking guys never listen to me. Why not? I know everything.

LISTEN TO ME!

America is going to collapse. From the inside. Just like Rome.
And its one hundred percent our fault.
It will be rebuilt. It will not be a very nice country when its rebuilt. It will be a tough and not entirely fair place.
And then there will be another revolution after a couple hundred years. And it will be a free and democratic society again.

hard-times-create-strong-men-strong-men-create-good-times-8507603.png

2020 was the start of our hard times.

And our children will be tough and mean and miserable.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
These people are goners. Not sure how to deal with them yet but they are are only capable of evil. We must be vigilant, right now they are like cornered rats.
I have to research more, but I heard that in Germany with the Nazi's that they worked hard to take the disenfranchised from the margins of society and reintegrated them back into the normal fringes of society. I could be wrong though.

Don't get me wrong, I love the South. I love the People. Love the home cooking as I was raised on. Never had a problem. But we have to, as a Union, figure out a way to make all of us comfortable and at ease with each other besides our skin pigment.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Some believe it, while some likely only pretend to believe it. Those who go apeshit like what happened on Wednesday are probably more the former than the latter.

The right wing fringe needs to be marginalized. Unfortunately we don't entirely have control over that.

If you want to know how I think it happens, it's likely to be because they do something truly dastardly. A mass causality event like another OKC bombing or a 9/11. People worry over them doing something like that but it's going to happen at some point in time, and when it does it may well discredit the far right and its media propagandists.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Some believe it, while some likely only pretend to believe it. Those who go apeshit like what happened on Wednesday are probably more the former than the latter.

The right wing fringe needs to be marginalized. Unfortunately we don't entirely have control over that.

If you want to know how I think it happens, it's likely to be because they do something truly dastardly. A mass causality event like another OKC bombing or a 9/11. People worry over them doing something like that but it's going to happen at some point in time, and when it does it may well discredit the far right and its media propagandists.
God I hope it doesn't come down to that. And sadly, if it does, I fear that the right wing media would try to cover it up. Like FOX saying that antifa and BLM was apart of this riotous mob that stormed the Capitol where more people would have been killed or detained as hostages'.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
God I hope it doesn't come down to that. And sadly, if it does, I fear that the right wing media would try to cover it up. Like FOX saying that antifa and BLM was apart of this riotous mob that stormed the Capitol where more people would have been killed or detained as hostages'.

Yes, they're going to say "Antifa did it." This is clearly their new armor to avoid responsibility for their bad behavior. I don't know that it will work well enough, however. Their most hardcore faithful may believe. But I think there's another class of Trump supporter who only pretends to believe this shit. They know Trump is slime but he's on their team so they support him. These people aren't going to want to be associated with mass violence perpetrated by people who believe the same things they purport to believe. They'll never admit they were wrong. They'll just quietly stop espousing the extremist views.

Consider what discredited Nazism and the far right in Europe. It was all the people they killed. Almost over night, the far right in Europe was in the political wilderness and has never fully recovered. Well guess what, many Germans tried to deny that the Holocaust happened. Turns out not enough people believed them.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Yes, they're going to say "Antifa did it." This is clearly their new armor to avoid responsibility for their bad behavior. I don't know that it will work well enough, however. Their most hardcore faithful may believe. But I think there's another class of Trump supporter who only pretends to believe this shit. They know Trump is slime but he's on their team so they support him. These people aren't going to want to be associated with mass violence perpetrated by people who believe the same things they purport to believe. They'll never admit they were wrong. They'll just quietly stop espousing the extremist views.

Consider what discredited Nazism and the far right in Europe. It was all the people they killed. Almost over night, the far right in Europe was in the political wilderness and has never fully recovered. Well guess what, many Germans tried to deny that the Holocaust happened. Turns out not enough people believed them.

Helluva way for the GOP to win back the suburbs.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fox. Its Fox. Its Fox and kin spinning the Jim Jones gospel. As long as that continues there you go.

Also, being the student of man that I am, it emerges to me that there is a subset of our race that is more gullible than the rest. A genetic disorder of sorts. A subset that does not pick up the subtle undertones of irony, sarcasm or otherwise concepts communicated via abstract metaphors, this subset of man is quite literal literal. When you communicate a point to these people be careful how you do it. Its not safe.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Unfortunately, things like this forum have created the situation. Since we no longer have sources of information which are verifiable and people who communicate this information no longer care that what they say is in fact true, we have this dilemma upon us. How do we establish facts, as communication depends on facts? Credibility is now determined not by facts or truth, but by tribal associations. Although the fascism of the first half of the 20th Century is a good example, this is much more perverse. We have bastardized concepts like “freedom of speech” and “The Constitution” to mean different things than what they are. This you can see as the mob from Wednesday is chanting “USA” like it’s a sports team not the fragile concept it is. Like just chanting it makes it so. Like “USA” stands for breaking into the Capitol and to then be amazed that you got maced while coming to this location to “start a revolution” and being surprised and then filming it like it was some Friday night High School football game.

We have created this ourselves with the concepts that there are no consequences for misdeeds and that we reward participation and call it “winning.” Years of this echo chamber and an education system crippled by concepts that parents know more than the educators who created the curriculum. Social media, once championed as a way to connect folks over long distances is now going to be looked as the enabler of this alternate reality, although they were not the originator. They were high jacked by those who want power and had fir years tried this with limited success with the forms of communication in place.

These are just some of the reasons why we are here. Consumerism and power. Through social media, we developed so much information never before available on human psychology and how to manipulate them. Unfortunately, this can be used for selling us something but ultimately was used to create what we have now, “alternate facts” and mountains of misinformation. The division was purposefully done and until the purposes are dealt with, we cannot mend. Yes FAUX has blame, but it runs much deeper than that.

I have rambled on too much at this point. I need to simplify this and convey it over multiple posts and not one rambling never read one.

Reactions: gothuevos

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Fox. Its Fox. Its Fox and kin spinning the Jim Jones gospel. As long as that continues there you go.

This.

I remember thinking ~20 years ago that Fox was a poison that was going to wreck everything, and it has. Trump isn't the root cause here, he is just the latest symptom.

Want to really make America great again, it has be broken free of lies/propaganda/gas lighting that Gingrich originated, and Fox redoubled and ran with.

That is what has poisoned and divided America to it's core.

Think about what America was like before Gingrich and Fox compared to where we are today.

Democrats have to forget any idea of appeasement of the evil ass clowns that are perpetrating these lies.

They have to start referring to the "Big Lie" that lead to the insurrection. They have to identify repeatedly all the perpetrators of these lies, and we have to look at legislative ways to curtail these poisonous lies.

False and dangerous speech, is not protected free speech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
can we have a democracy with an alternative reality?

I've watched about 40 hours of video doing research and I swear, I think the riotous mob that stormed the US Capitol believed that the lies spewed by tRump and the rEpubs are actually real.

I watched the video from many different angles where that white lady Vet got killed and I'm astounded before she caught a bullet, they were slobbering out the mouth trying to get in that corridor where the CP was warning them to back down.

They were really (literally) slobbering out of the mouth, punching the glass with his bare fist and other objects. I've never seen hate and rage like that before.

I really don't understand. If they have grievances then how do we mend their grievances peacefully? How do we manage the fact that these people feel wounded to the point of storming the Federal Capitol building that they needed to enact treason in order to get their points taken seriously? Five people have died because of this.

I would assume they would understand that the Congress person they elected in office would be the first stop they go to in order to voice their displeasure.

Where have you been?
Just look at the history of Tea Party assholes.

Trumptardism is the fruit of the Tea Party movement

What started out as the racist attitudes towards having a brown man win a presidential election turned into a Koch sponsored movement to basically use gullible idiots in society to disrupt the United States political system

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
If you want to know how I think it happens, it's likely to be because they do something truly dastardly. A mass causality event like another OKC bombing or a 9/11.
Biden should declare anti mask wearing is a terrorist act. Like how dense are they and think covid is a hoax and that 9/11 each day of people dying is fake. Again let's wait and see how much a super spreader event this Wednesday is.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I believe it is. I'm in my mid-50s with a home business and would likely find it pretty hard to leave. I'm hoping my kids decide to emigrate before things get worse--not that any country is truly immune to alternate reality madness, or climate change--but it's a matter of degree. The US has devolved into something close to insanity overall and we are leading the charge along with the usual suspects like North Korea. Congrats, I guess. The fact that we have 400 million guns and there's no chance we will ever deescalate is not a good thing. So I guess I'd like to take my "commie" ass elsewhere if they'll have me.

Until then I just try to limit my exposure to the crazy. I don't talk politics with family or any right-wingers I know, and we get along. I'm off "social" media. I'm in a blue area of a red state, at the least I'd like to move out of America's dick and leave it to the rednecks and terrified oldsters, let them have Desantis.