Alternative Fuels Hummer may make indecent vehicle . . . merely scantily clad.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Cars.com
?We can run on hydrogen, compressed natural gas, straight veggie oil and biodiesel,? Robinson says. ?We?re here to show that it?s not the vehicle you choose to drive, it?s the fuel you use to power it.?

Alternative-fuel tanks in the back enable the basic 1994 model H1 to run for about 2,000 miles nonstop. A twist of a knob enables the driver to toggle between fuels and improve mileage.

Now if only they would get that pig to lose some weight . . .

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It wasn't designed to be a conventional vehicle, why does it need to loose weight?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Hmmm...interesting find there. The only problem I see with the hydrogen/alternative fuel systems is that there is no national distribution system yet. Eventually there will be though, so I'm optimistic. But as per making the Hummer "lose weight", I wouldn't suggest it at least for the non-civilian models. The ones that you see on the roads hardly ever do anything more stressful than hauling groceries, hence their impracticality.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb
Heh, if that thing got in a car wreck with Hydrogen fuel....

Hydrogen Fuel isn't as dangerous as you think and they do use it in foreign countries.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
"Although Hummers ? the base model 2003 H2 lists for about $48,000 ? are revered as a status symbol by some, conventional wisdom says their fuel inefficiency make them harsh on the environment, and the wallet. And to many, they?re simply a four-wheeled, rolling, environmental disaster. "

The same can be said about any Ferrari..although a Hummer is a tad cheaper.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
Hydrogen Fuel isn't as dangerous as you think and they do use it in foreign countries.

only one i can think of japan, but good for them

hydrogen has gotten a bad rap all thanks to the hindenburg incident. according to discovery channel, its not as dangerous as most ppl think, its actually less dangerous than gasoline, although i'm not sure if i should believe the discovery channel or my chem professor who blew up a hydrogen balloon in class...

still i think ethanol from corn is the best solution

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The same can be said about any Ferrari..although a Hummer is a tad cheaper.

From my experience, the typical Ferrari owner logs very few miles. Accordingly, the per vehicle environmental impact is relatively minor.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001

Heh, if todays cars got in a car wreck with gasoline
rolleye.gif

The damage is much less than you imagine

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Hmmm...interesting find there. The only problem I see with the hydrogen/alternative fuel systems is that there is no national distribution system yet. Eventually there will be though, so I'm optimistic. But as per making the Hummer "lose weight", I wouldn't suggest it at least for the non-civilian models. The ones that you see on the roads hardly ever do anything more stressful than hauling groceries, hence their impracticality.
we have a few hydrogen powered busses for the transit system here

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

I agree the Hummer is a waste of cash if they are not getting the orginal Army suspension, engine, transmission etc... Especially if all they are using it for is to haul tv dinners from Safeway and home.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
F.Y.I;

Humvee = Military.

Hummer = Civilian vehicle Brand now owned by GM.

The names are not interchangeable.

The H2 is built upon a Chevrolet Suburban Chassis.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: tallest1

rolleye.gif

Can someone please explain this view - I see it a lot. As a scientist, I cannot understand why a tank full of gasoline in a car crash is considered anywhere as near as dangerous as a tank full of pressurised hydrogen.

Thanks,

Andy

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Hydrogen as a fuel in a motor vehicle would not be of the liquified variety that you associate with the Space programs.
Hydrogen is adsorbed into/onto a metalic sponge material to hold it stable until it is needed for supply to a combustion
chamber. The pressure is low, and is not the Cryogenic liquid form - simular in concept to propane or butane fuels,
except without the pressurization and cold.

The biggest detriment to Hydrogen as a fuel is that it is explosive as a Fuel / Oxidier in a ratio anywhere between
a 5% Hyrdogen (in air) up to a 97% mixture. One of the hazards involved in rocketry is defeated by the vent stack being
used is tipped with a platinum passive igniter, so any vented hydrogen is ignited and burned at the vent stack before
it can enter the atmosphere and reach an explosive mixture level. Certain metalic substances are known to
make Hydrogen act as a pyrophoric substance - ignite upon contact - that's the Platinum in the vent stack.

It's been looked at for years as a fuel for Hypersonic Aircraft using the metalic sponge tecnique.

On the Hindenburg - the massive fire was from a spark of static electricity that did ignite a small Hydrogen
gas pocket, but once that flased over - the laquer and nitrocelulose dopes & pignemts in the paint is what burned.
Note: the material used in the fabric dope coating was nitrocelulose - a Nitrogenated Celulose compound which
rendered the covering to be like 'flash paper' an unstable, explosive, combustionalbe material.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Originally posted by: tallest1

rolleye.gif

Can someone please explain this view - I see it a lot. As a scientist, I cannot understand why a tank full of gasoline in a car crash is considered anywhere as near as dangerous as a tank full of pressurised hydrogen.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi

I'm a scientist too, and i would like to know what graduate school gives classes in "posturing yourself across internet message boards, while making random, superfluous, unsubstantiated statements"

Thanks,

Jon

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi

I'm a scientist too, and i would like to know what graduate school gives classes in "posturing yourself across internet message boards, while making random, superfluous, unsubstantiated statements"

Thanks,

Jon

Well Jon, maybe you should take a step back and take a stress pill. I'm not posturing, I was angling for a better response than all the other ones I've read that say "because gasoline is dangerous too" - given that I've found pressurised gases to be particularly lethal.

As for "random, superfluous, unsubstantiated statements" if you mean that I don't know all of the facts concerning H vehicles - you're right, albeit in a very abusive way. That's why I say things like "I cannot understand".

You must have felt all high and mighty reading all of that into my response. Maybe if you read some of my other posts and knew me a *little* better then you wouldn't make such "unsubstantiated" statements about the size of my ego.

Andy

BTW: Thanks CaptnKirk - I understand a bit clearer now, though I would still think that the flammibility may be higher than for standard gasoline tank. Has there been any studies of such systems in crashes?

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Hi

Thanks,

Jon

Well Jon, maybe you should take a step back and take a stress pill. I'm not posturing, I was angling for a better response than all the other ones I've read that say "because gasoline is dangerous too" - given that I've found pressurised gases to be particularly lethal.

As for "random, superfluous, unsubstantiated statements" if you mean that I don't know all of the facts concerning H vehicles - you're right, albeit in a very abusive way. That's why I say things like "I cannot understand".

You must have felt all high and mighty reading all of that into my response. Maybe if you read some of my other posts and knew me a *little* better then you wouldn't make such "unsubstantiated" statements about the size of my ego.

Andy

BTW: Thanks CaptnKirk - I understand a bit clearer now, though I would still think that the flammibility may be higher than for standard gasoline tank. Has there been any studies of such systems in crashes?

You're right. My sincere apologies. The style of my post here was an unfortunate reflection of another thread in this forum.