Alternate materials for filling laser pits (AMD XP+ series)?

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
OK we all know superglue is the common material used in all these guides online. But what else? Superglue seems like such a messy pain in the ass...
I mean, after ya tape the holes off, ya put the glue on, it dries into a raised up lil glob, then ya gotta cut it down level, but without prying the glue outta the pits...

so i suppose what im looking for is a more freeflowing substance that can just pop down in the hole, fill it, and excess gets wiped away. I read in ONE place where someone used a crayon. Will this hold up?

In another place I saw someone use thermal compound (ie arctic silver). I have a million packets of Antec thermal compound, and if that were used it would go in sooo nicely... and youd see its in there cuz the holes would be white...

is it possible? soon as i decide on a new OC mobo (waiting for things to settle on the Chaintech 7VJL issues...) im gonna unlock my XP1800+. [how far ya think i could get it if i used some Corsair XMS3200c2 and HHC-001 hsf?]

any other ideas for materials that would work well?

thank you for sitting patiently through this post. :)

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
I just used a kit that included some "Gap filler" compound and some conductive grease. I don't think you even need the gap filler. The conductive grease, paste really, will probably bridge the gap just fine, maybe sinking in a little bit, but still keep the connection. You really need a steady hand and good magnifying to do this multiplier unlocking.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
There is a huge difference between THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY and ELECTRICAL CONDUCTIVITY. Just because a compound can transfer heat, like the white thermal grease does, does not mean there is any material within the compound that will conduct electricity. The Arctic Silver has just enough micro-milled silver particles in the compound to make it electrically active, but NOT at a very good electrical conductive rate.

The rage seems to be to use either the window heater repair kit, or the electrically conductive circuit repair ink (Fry's Electronic @ $10 on shelf) -
but it's a good idea to fill the crater flush with some compound, ie: nail polish, to provide a base for the trace ink path, and allow a way to remove the circuit trace if you mess up. Technically you could just fill the crater with the trace ink , but how would you get it out if you had to clean it off and try again. Crayon, wax, etc. may work fora while, but being soft they will deteriorate, and you will have to restore the trace.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Tape of the L1 "dots" and fill the pits with super glue. Simply wipe off the excess with your finger, being careful not to wipe anything out of the pits. Wait two minutes, remove the tape and paint the bridges closed. No cutting down needed.

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
You know Rogue, I was thinking of doing JUST THAT, and wondered why people hadnt bothered to do so. So now I know it works! :) Thanks

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Why wouldnt reg silicone (clear RTV) work...? It can take any heat (unlike the crayon idea which melts sometimes... :p ) A simple dab on the end of your finger swipe across the pits let dry and use the conductive paint (defogger kit)...? Also it could be removed easily in the case of a retail cpu...? (a toothpick would do the trick for that)

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
OK heres a stretch:

playdough? (or is it 'playdoh' whatever)

Tape off the holes, press it in there good, then it should roll/flake/smudge off nicely, all the excess...

non conductive, true?

tastes great too! ( ;) )

good times...

randomboy

Aug 18, 2002
I dont see whats so hard about the super glue......

You take 4 pieces of tape, put one right up to the top edge of the gap, one along the right edge, one along the left, and one on the bottom edge.

Then put a drop of glue in, and it will spread out and fill the hole. Leave the tape there for a minute or two while the glue tackies up, then before its totally hardened, peel the tape off carefully, and run a flat edged razor blade over the gap from left to right once. Now you have a perfect fill that is perfectly flat and you shouldnt ever have to redo........

I unlocked my XP for the first time in about 10 minutes total w/o magnification.......super glue 0wNz.