Altec Lansing ADA890 Speakers cables

miamikk

Aug 30, 2005
One of my friend gave me these speakers recently as he was relocating. He didnt give me any cables and I couldnt find much information online as these are discontinued.

I would appreciate if anyone here has these speakers and can email me pictures of the cables so I can get them.

Thanks for your help.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Welcome to AT.

Well, the first image on google image search turned up this but I'm kind of confused about what's there.

Oh wow, Anandtech did a review of them back in the day http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=1523

Does that help at all?

I imagine you're going to be hooking up for 4.1 via analog.

You'd need two 1/8" stereo cables to run from the soundcard on your comptuer to the inputs on the speaker system (In the sub, right?... I can't really tell if that's on the sub or on one of the backs of the front speakers).

For the sub to speaker connections, it looks like it gets a little strange.

Do the satellite speakers have cables attached to them? It looks like the surround speakers use mono 1/8" cables but the fronts use something similar to a ps/2 or s-video looking connection. Are any of those included?

miamikk

Aug 30, 2005
Thanks for the fast replies.
I actually gone thru the Manual, gone thru anand tech review and got couple of pictures of the cables via google but I wanted some who has these speakers to reply on how did he/she configured it.

The two 1/8" stereo cables look straight forward for a 5-piece setup but I am wondering on how to connect S/PDIF from sub to PC. And also what kind of S/PDIF cable should I buy.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: miamikk
Thanks for the fast replies.
I actually gone thru the Manual, gone thru anand tech review and got couple of pictures of the cables via google but I wanted some who has these speakers to reply on how did he/she configured it.

The two 1/8" stereo cables look straight forward for a 5-piece setup but I am wondering on how to connect S/PDIF from sub to PC. And also what kind of S/PDIF cable should I buy.

What kind of soundcard/integrated sound do you have that outputs SPDIF?

miamikk

Aug 30, 2005
I just got a Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro. Though I am not sure if this card (the control box) has a SPDIF connector but the Altec lansing manual says the SPDIF connector on the Subwoofer needs to be connected to sound card for a 4.1 setup.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: miamikk
I just got a Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro. Though I am not sure if this card (the control box) has a SPDIF connector but the Altec lansing manual says the SPDIF connector on the Subwoofer needs to be connected to sound card for a 4.1 setup.

It should do 4.1 with an analog connection easier.

With a digital connection, the best you're going to get for surround is a pro logic sort of output.

I'd stick with analog if you just got a nice soundcard.