Question Alright, it's that time of the decade again. Building a new gaming PC.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
Strictly gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is.
Up to $5,000 but as always, I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA / Online stores.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference.
EVGA for the PSU is about the only preference these days but I'm pretty flexible even on this. I've ran through a few Corsair PSUs that have all died on me, but my current EVGA is still going strong after 7 years.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Headset + 2X 512GB SSDs

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I might tweak some things here and there but I don't think I'll do anything as extreme as I did with my current system.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
4K 144hz. My only question would be since I'm going to use my current 2k monitor as a second screen, will that have any effect on a 4k monitor I purchase? In the past, all my monitors have been more or less the same so this one is new for me.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Around October 20th.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system
Just the OS as far as I'm aware.

Now that that's all cleared up, time to get to the list.

CPU - i9-13900KF @ $630 PRE-ORDERED + $100 Heatsink
GPU - Nvidia RTX 3090ti Founder's Edition@ $1,100 PRE-ORDERED
PSU - EVGA SuperNova 1000w Platinum @ $200 ORDERED
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB (6600) @ $310 BACK ORDERED
Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E @ $500 PRE-ORDERED
HDD - 2X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB @ $380 + 2X NVMe Heatsinks @ $40 ORDERED
Case - MSI Gungnir @ $105 ORDERED
Monitor - ASUS ROG Strix 27" @ $700 @ $700 ORDERED
Peripherals - Random RGB Cherry keyboard $100 / Logitech G502 Wired @ $40
OS - Windows 11 Pro 64 bit @ $160 ORDERED

Overall current price - $4385

As I said before, I'm always happy to spend less than the proposed amount but I'm willing to go all the way to $5,000 so if there's a reason I should spend more somewhere else, please let me know why. I'll keep updating this as parts come and go and as I start finalizing my selections. I'd like to get this all ordered in one piece but since there's some deals going on right now with Amazon and I'm sure more deals will spring up later, I can always grab piece by piece.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've been trying to get a 4090 but it looks like I'll just stick with the 3090ti for a few years. It should hold up well enough for 4k. Aside from bots or buying from scalpers, I have no idea how people are getting them and with the closest micro center being six hours away from me, that's not an option.
I live 10 minutes from a microcenter but you have to guess either Wednesday or Friday when the truck comes and then you basically have to be there very early and I can't do that.

There's a microcenter discord I follow and people usually post how many cards are left at the store if they visit. After launch some said there were some MSI aquas left.

I may just stay with my current processor because going to a 13th gen now when it's the last cpu on that socket might not be a good idea. I'd need another board for the 15th gen for example.