Alpha Protocol

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I was interested in Alpha Protocol when I first heard about it. After it released all I heard was bad stuff so I didn't buy it, but was still interested in the game.

Finally found it for like $15 on ebay and started playing it last night.

I've only gone through the initial training mission in the beginning so far. Graphics are pretty bad for a game made in 2010. Mouse control sucks ass. What little combat there was so far wasn't very interesting. Lockpicking, hacking, and bypassing electronic door panels is pretty easy, but they have a time limit and so that makes it a little harder to do.

The dialogue options seems like it might be interesting though.

So far this is getting like a 3/10.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I couldn't play with the mouse, turning took forever. Slightly better with a gamepad.

It played like a poor man's Mass Effect, but the thing is I had quite a bit of fun with it. 6.5/10.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I'd give it an 8/10. Played fine with mouse, held my interest more than Mass Effect, and has some of the most interesting dialogue conversations ever in gaming. The graphics didn't seem bad at all to me.

I'd have given it a 10/10 if it weren't for random bugs.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd give it an 8/10. Played fine with mouse, held my interest more than Mass Effect, and has some of the most interesting dialogue conversations ever in gaming. The graphics didn't seem bad at all to me.

I'd have given it a 10/10 if it weren't for random bugs.

Same experience and score as well too.

I read that during development the publisher decided obsidian needed to make a lot of changes and thus why the game is buggy and lacks the polish that obsidian is known for. Still a fun game that has a small amount of replay value (and the love scene with the Russian(?) chick was .... Interesting) :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I read that during development the publisher decided obsidian needed to make a lot of changes and thus why the game is buggy and lacks the polish that obsidian is known for.

KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 owners are ROFL at that. It took about 6 months before NWN 2 was playable and KOTOR 2 is missing a real ending (though still in my top 10 list for RPGs)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
My friend picked up AP over the Black Friday sale on STEAM and he likes it and says I should give it another try. so I did...

and it's not really that bad. I mean, the graphics are a bit sub par but not horrible. Gameplay can be pretty fun and taking out bad guys via stealth or the pistol skill that is similar to the "mark and execute" function in Splinter Cell is rather satisfying. Character customization is a bit weak however the weapons customization is fairly decent though. Stuff is expensive too. One major gripe I have is that my character seems to do a 180 on me at random times and i have to re-gain my bearings.

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 owners are ROFL at that. It took about 6 months before NWN 2 was playable and KOTOR 2 is missing a real ending (though still in my top 10 list for RPGs)

Yeah, add Fallout New Vegas to the list of Obsidian games that needed some polish.

If they're famous for anything, it's for putting out ambitious games that badly need patching.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
A patch was released a couple of weeks ago that fixes some issues. Did you get it? I think you need to manually install it.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I bought it during the Thanksgiving sale and the patch came out around that time. there was a version to use for Steam so I installed it before playing the game. I did not have a single glitch or bug in the game. the only thing that I ever ran into were about 10 short 5-6 seconds pauses that seemed to be loading related and never happened during any action. controls were just fine with the controller but too jumpy with the mouse.

the graphics were pretty lame but I got over that. the only part that was annoying were the few boss battles because they were quite tedious. the game had tons of checkpoints so if you did die it was no big deal though. for $7.50 I would give it a 6 or 7 out out of 10.

Last edited:

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I've also picked it up during the TG sales. I've enjoyed the game so far. No mouse issues at all. I did patch it before I even played it, so I don't know what if was like before the patch.

I'd give it a 7.5/10.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
A patch was released a couple of weeks ago that fixes some issues. Did you get it? I think you need to manually install it.

got a link? I can't access the game's site and when i search for alpha protocol patch, the only one i can find is from September 2010. Is that the one?

SolidSnake42

Feb 9, 2010
I actually did enjoy it and I did like the relationship thing with everyone and the dialog was actually good. The combat felt kind of blocky and not really smooth, but none-the-less enjoyable. I kind of wish I did the ending differently though.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I hear the patch removed the DRM, which is nice. But, it was not the major overhaul that the game needed (so I have heard). Shame too, I was looking forward to this title, but like all Obsidian titles (except for MotB), it seems that they had to rush it out the door at the behest of their publishers.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Watch the youtube videos of this game to see how much of a dick you can be to people and how it affects your relationships with them, it's pretty hilarious.